"Slightly positive" for feline leukemia - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default "Slightly positive" for feline leukemia

Hello! Thank you for the welcome!

Here is my story:

My sister recently moved to a new apartment after breaking up with her boyfriend. Ellie has always been healthy and about a month ago my sister noticed her poop was weird if it happened at all. Not thinking much she went about her days and loved little Ellie. About 2 weeks ago Ellie started sneezing and had a watery eye and she wasn't eating as much. We took her to the vet and the vet said she was at the end of an upper respiratory infection. The vet gave her an antibiotic and we were on our way. This week on Tuesday Ellie threw up and wasn't eating, so Amber took her to the vet. They did a blood test and found out she was anemic. Today we went back to the vets and they did an xray and found a mass growing near her stomach which was the reason she wasn't eating and became anemic. We took Ellie home and waited for the additional results that would determine if she had feline leukemia or AIDS.

The vet just called and said she tested "Slightly positive" for feline leukemia. What does that mean? Ellie came home today and was eating. She has lost a pound and her ears and nose are white from being anemic. The vet said she's 95% positive she has cancer, but my sister wants to do an ultrasound to see if the mass as spread and to see if they can save her. The vet was surprised she was eating. My sister gives her drops of water every hour so she doesn't become dehydrated.

What would you do as the kitty owner? I've been crying since 9pm last night and haven't stopped. Ellie is an indoor cat and would never have gotten leukemia from another cat. I'm so sad we need support
AshleyB723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Poor kitty... Im sorry I dont know much about diseases but your vet saying "slightly positive" doesnt sound like he/she knows much either... Im not sure what I would do... I would probably take her to a different one. Im sure others on here will give you some advice too.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The FeLv and FIV tests are just quick snap tests. By saying slightly positive it means there were some antibodies in the blood that triggered a positive test, but only lightly which usually means that the cat is at the beginning stages of the disease. A strong positive would have a lot of antibodies in the blood. I would get another test to make sure in a couple months. But any positive test isn't good
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Also, the cat could have gotten it from the environment. If they moved to a new place, it can live in the carpet for a while, if not a few years. The previous renter may have had a cat that had it and now your sister's cat has it.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Dang I didn't realize it lived that long on surfaces.... I'm glad I fork extra money getting the separate vaccine for it... That stuff scares me. I almost freaked once when my roommates puppy was diagnosed with parvo. I didn't know if it would hurt my cats or not. But I did read it can live for years too.... Crazyness.... I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters kitty though

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you everyone! This sucks, I don't understand why the mass is there! I want them to just operate and remove it! I'm still so sad.

Ellie is eating slightly but her next appt for the vet is on Tuesday for the ultrasound. If they don't see the mass has spread is it smart to have them remove it? I don't understand what the vet says. She said if it were her kitty she'd put her down. The only thing wrong is the mass and the slight positive for lukemia. Does she have it or not?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Can kitties live in lukemia? She's also anemic which is from not eating because of the mass.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

FeLV is VERY difficult to get from the environment as it is quite labile. If the cat really hasn't been outside or around other cats, I would have them re-do the test to be sure.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Perhaps you should consider the question of if and if so, where/how Ellie acquired FeLV at a later time.
Try to focus on the immediate concern of the mass and what that represents with regards to Ellie's immediate health. You may have some tough choices ahead of you. I just went through the same thing with Squiggy a few months back so I can partly understand what you are experiencing. Peace to you and peace to Ellie.
lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
Perhaps you should consider the question of if and if so, where/how Ellie acquired FeLV at a later time.
Try to focus on the immediate concern of the mass and what that represents with regards to Ellie's immediate health. You may have some tough choices ahead of you. I just went through the same thing with Squiggy a few months back so I can partly understand what you are experiencing. Peace to you and peace to Ellie.

Did your litle Squiggy have a mass on his belly? What did you do? What did they do for him? I agree I think the immediate concern is the mass and getting it removed if it's possible. My sister is taking her to the ER Vets today the other Vet seems like a quack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement