Midnight is sick after regular shots - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

These are all single dose so OD is not possible.

Adjuvants are often a cause of reactions. I personally won't use a vaccine with them in cats.

Fel-O-Guard Plus 3 is adjuvant-free. The other 2 do contain adjuvants. Adjuvants are additives that are supposed to cause an immune response but it's also believed to cause vaccine associated sarcomas (albeit rarely but why risk it at all?).

The only rabies vaccine without adjuvants approved for use in the US is called Merial PureVax Feline Rabies. I don't know if PureVax FeLV is the only adjuvant-free vaccine or not but it's the only FeLV vaccine that I know of that is adjuvant-free. If you decide to vaccinate him again, I suggest you demand they use the PureVax line of vaccines. I would consider them to be the safest.

I don't personally vaccinate for FeLV. My cat doesn't go outside and I don't allow her around other cats unless I know their status. I usually only foster kittens and I keep them confined to a bedroom/bathroom until they're old enough to be tested for FeLV and FIV. If your cats don't go outside and they're all negative, I don't see a reason to vaccinate them for FeLV.

Knowing that's he's had a reaction at all, I would probably not vaccinate him ever again. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
I don't personally vaccinate for FeLV. My cat doesn't go outside and I don't allow her around other cats unless I know their status. I usually only foster kittens and I keep them confined to a bedroom/bathroom until they're old enough to be tested for FeLV and FIV. If your cats don't go outside and they're all negative, I don't see a reason to vaccinate them for FeLV.

Knowing that's he's had a reaction at all, I would probably not vaccinate him ever again. But that's just my opinion.
Our cats never go outside and we probably would not give them the shots, but Animal control saw the cats in the window while going door to door collecting fees and required us to register the cats. So now they send us a notice when they the rabies are due and we are required to take them to the vet or be fined.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Cat

That would only require that you get rabies vaccine then. I've never heard of any others being required by law.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
That would only require that you get rabies vaccine then. I've never heard of any others being required by law.
Yes your are correct, but the vet always recommends it so we just do it.

I don't don't know much about this stuff and I just have to much other stuff to worry about so I just do what is recommended.

I've had a quite a few kittens die from feline diseases over the years and if someone who is suposed to know gives me advice I usually take it.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You can get a waiver if your cat or dog has a adverse reaction. That is what Id do. It sounds quite aggressive if an animal control officer notes pets at houses and will fine people who dont vaccinate. Esp with the vet community being divided on how often to vaccinate. Im so sorry this happened to Midnight. I refuse to continue to vaccinate my own cat after a very bad reaction to a vaccination.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers

Last edited by Mitts & Tess; 01-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
Thanks, Midnight had a mild reaction last year, but this year was something else.
The Vet said that he may vomit and fell for bloating. He did not have bloating, although he didn't look so good.
That is a lot to whack into a cat's system at one time.
Most vets I've used would break them into separate visits
and give at least the rabies separately. I imagine we'd
feel pretty off given that many vaccines at the same time.
They are designed to challenge our immune system, i.e.,
make us a little sick to avoid getting a lot sick later.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
I may have to call in sick because they donít approve of pet problems. A coworker almost got fired because she didnít show up when her dog died.
Doncha love it? I was honest once about why I was not coming
in to work after one of my horses got struck by lightning during
the night. They didn't seem to understand that there might be
some problems with having a big dead horse in the backyard, nor
that I might find that loss just a tad distressing.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hippie View Post
That is a lot to whack into a cat's system at one time.
Most vets I've used would break them into separate visits
and give at least the rabies separately. I imagine we'd
feel pretty off given that many vaccines at the same time.
They are designed to challenge our immune system, i.e.,
make us a little sick to avoid getting a lot sick later.
Well when you put it that way, I guess that makes a lot of sense.

I’ve been thinking about what scottd said and to tell you the truth, I don’t know why we are doing this. And except for the rabies, I really don’t know what the other stuff is exactly.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Midnight is now covered for basic cat flu(s), feline leukemia
and rabies.

There is a lot of discussion these days about over-vaccinating our
pets, giving them updates when their immunity is still high. Think
about it -- how often do we receive measles or tetanus ourselves?
My vet recommends every 3 years, including the rabies, and I'm
more than happy to go with that schedule. It's easier on the cat
and a lot easier on the pocket, too
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Well when you put it that way, I guess that makes a lot of sense.

Iíve been thinking about what scottd said and to tell you the truth, I donít know why we are doing this. And except for the rabies, I really donít know what the other stuff is exactly.
The other killed vaccine (besides rabies) is for feline leukemia. It's a virus that can be lethal. It's transmitted by close contact. You said your cats are indoors and I assume they're all negative. In my opinion, this is vaccine is entirely unnecessary. I would only consider it if my cats went outside, were around unknown status cats, or if I had a positive cat living with negative cats.

The FVRCP vaccine is a combo vaccine that protects against 3 different viruses:
Quote:
Feline viral rhinotracheitis (FVR) is an upper respiratory infection of cats, also known as feline influenza, caused by feline herpesvirus 1 (FHV-1). FVR is very contagious and can cause severe disease, including death from pneumonia in young kittens.
Feline calicivirus (FCV), in addition to FHV-1, is the other common viral cause of respiratory infection in cats.
Feline panleukopenia virus (FPV), more commonly known as feline distemper, is caused by the feline parvovirus, a close relative of canine parvovirus. It is not related to canine distemper. Panleukopenia is highly contagious and can be fatal.
The FVRCP vaccine is important to establish immunity but it's not necessary every year. I give 2 doses at 8 and 12 weeks and then a dose at 1 year. The AVMA recommends a booster every 3 years after that. I personally do opt for a booster because I have foster kittens regularly and the transmission is easier for these viruses. If they stay indoors and aren't around other cats, I probably wouldn't vaccinate past the first 3 or 4 doses.

Long story short: I would stop vaccinating Midnight entirely and get an exemption for rabies or at the very least only give him the non-adjuvanted rabies yearly. As for your other cats, you probably can't get an exemption for rabies for them but I would only give them the non-adjuvanted rabies yearly as well and forget about the other vaccines.

Vets will push vaccines, it's a core part of their business. The FVRCP vaccine at my vet costs $33 and they also won't administer it without an exam which is $39. I buy an entire package (25 doses) of the same exact vaccine for $60 with overnight shipping and a cooler with ice. They push the vaccines to bring in revenue which allows them to charge less for the more expensive services such as surgery.