Midnight is sick after regular shots - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Midnight is sick after regular shots

We had to take the cats in for their required shots and Midnight came back sick and threw up all over the place. He hasnít eaten and Iím hoping he will be alright in the morning.

Itís really gross and I wanted to confine him someplace to control where heís throwing up at, but I was being accused of being selfish and yelled at by my daughter.

So now he just urinated and defecated on my daughterís bed. He has lost complete control and I guess he now has diarrhea. Finally they have asked the neighbor to borrow her kennel. Iím tired and Iíve been up since 3 AM, worked a 10 hour shift and now I got laundry & cleaning to do. At least theyíre going to get the kennel and set it up while Iím washing the linen.

I donít know whatís going to happen now and I donít know what else to do. I have to get up at 3 AM to be at work at 5. If Midnight doesnít make it and I have to go to work, theyíre not going to be upset with me.

I may have to call in sick because they donít approve of pet problems. A coworker almost got fired because she didnít show up when her dog died.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've never had a cat that had such a violent reaction to shots (only anorexia for 12 hours). Does Midnight get very anxious during the trip to/from the Vet? If they are very stressed, that could result in diarrhea and vomiting. But I definitely would confine a sick cat at the least in the bathroom where it is more easily cleaned up and they don't have access to your bed/carpet/etcÖbut I guess you figured that out already. I would try giving a little canned food to maybe encourage his appetite.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well Midnight is back to himself again. i don't know what exactly happened, but I'm glad I went to work
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Make sure you let your vet know about Midnight's reaction. My cat Felix had a reaction one year to his shots (not as bad as Midnights, thank goodness) After that I always split out the rabies shot from the other vacs (about 4 weeks apart) AND the vet always gave Felix some benadryl along with the shots; he never had another reaction.
OSCARSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCARSMOM View Post
Make sure you let your vet know about Midnight's reaction. My cat Felix had a reaction one year to his shots (not as bad as Midnights, thank goodness) After that I always split out the rabies shot from the other vacs (about 4 weeks apart) AND the vet always gave Felix some benadryl along with the shots; he never had another reaction.
Thanks, Midnight had a mild reaction last year, but this year was something else.
The Vet said that he may vomit and fell for bloating. He did not have bloating, although he didn't look so good.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Baxter always used to get really sick after his yearly shot, he would throw up and not be himself for about a day. Some cats are really sensitive to shots just like some humans have worse reactions . Glad to here your kitty is back to himself !.
Barnaby July ?, 1998-January 15th, 2012
RockyandLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I was at work when my wife and daughter took the cats and one of the dogs in for the shots. My daughter was complaining about the way the tech administered the shots, because he didn't seem to know or care what he was doing. I don't know if the tech gave it too much or what.
Only Midnight was sick and the rest of the bunch except for the dog just went into hiding.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You should contact your vet and ask for a copy of the label including the serial number and such for the vaccine(s) they gave him. Ask your vet to submit an adverse event report to the FDA as well as the manufacturer(s) and notate your kitty's file.

Unless they're using multi-dose vials (which wouldn't make sense unless they were vaccinating many cats in a row, it's supposed to be reconstituted just prior to administration), it's impossible to give too much. The only vials I've used and the only vials I've seen vets use in small animals such as cats and dogs are single dose.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know which vaccines he received. The manufacturer and full vaccine name would be most helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Also, remember that the allergic/adverse reaction may get worse each time. It is like being allergic to a bee sting - you might have a slight reaction the first time and then go into anaphylactic shock the next time you get stung.
OSCARSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
You should contact your vet and ask for a copy of the label including the serial number and such for the vaccine(s) they gave him. Ask your vet to submit an adverse event report to the FDA as well as the manufacturer(s) and notate your kitty's file.

Unless they're using multi-dose vials (which wouldn't make sense unless they were vaccinating many cats in a row, it's supposed to be reconstituted just prior to administration), it's impossible to give too much. The only vials I've used and the only vials I've seen vets use in small animals such as cats and dogs are single dose.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know which vaccines he received. The manufacturer and full vaccine name would be most helpful.
well I just happened to have the reciept with stickers of what was given. I took a photo and not sure if you can read it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement