Cat cold again? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat cold again?

Hello all,
We adopted Domino from the shelter 11 months ago. A week later we ended up taking her to the vet because she was sneezing and had some icky eye discharge. He diagnosed her with coryza (feline influenza or coryza). From what I read, it remains dormant in the cat's body and may be "activated" during a moment of stress or illness.

Last week she vomited everything she ate for three days so we took her to the vet on Saturday who told us she had a small case of gastritis. Her regular vet was not available so we took her to one about 20 minutes away. As a result she had to be in her cage (she loathes it) at least an hour. Now she's sneezing again. Could she have coryza again? She has the sickly look she had when we adopted her.

I'm going to keep an eye on her and will make an appointment tomorrow if it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Last edited by chatbotté; 01-04-2013 at 05:02 AM.
chatbotté is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

At the vet appointment, discuss using lysine by mixing a little in with her food. It won't fix the current problem so much as it will help build up her immune system to combat future ailments. It is a supplement available at health food stores and it is odorless and tasteless. Our vet perscribed it when Missy had to have an eye growth removed. The growth was a result of a form of herpes virus. The lysine improves their immune systems and helps fight colds, etc. Best wished with Domino! I hope he feels better fast.

Last edited by Marcia; 01-04-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Reword first sentence.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks Marcia for your reply. Domino's sneezing calmed down over the weekend so we decided not to take her to the vet. She rested a lot more than usual but now she's back to roaming around the house and ambushing me at least 5 hours a day (her usual behavior). Her annual visit to the vet is coming soon and I will ask him about Lysine. It'll be interesting to find out what French vets think of it.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Glad all is well and you were able to avoid an emergency visit! I have two sick babies today, so am taking them both in this morning. Both cats are very old, so I hope it's something minor!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I hope there was nothing serious with the furry monsters!

Domino has fully recovered. I even had to put her on time-out late last night for scratching my bed's box spring.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Unless your kitty has discharge of green goop in nose or eyes it usually just the virus rearing its ugly head. There is nothing the vet can do about it.

If there is green goop then its time for an antibiotic. You would do best to give your cat the Lysine or a liquid vitamin called DMG Mataike Liquid Vitamins by Vetri Science which boost your kittens immune system. You can buy it off the internet. Shop it because it is expensive and prices vary. But it is effective, speaking from experience.

Amazon.com: Vetri-Science Laboratories Maitake-DMG Liquid for Pets, 120ml: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Vetri-Science Laboratories Maitake-DMG Liquid for Pets, 120ml: Pet Supplies

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

This is all v helpful as my cat gets colds. I wonder if these products are available in the uk though?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Try this place? L-Lysine capsules 500mg - FREE UK Delivery
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Default Lysine supplement

Both my kitties (from a shelter) were diagnosed with Feline Herpes. I give them lysine in a paste form right in their wet food. I order it online because it's cheaper than buying it from the vet. It's Enisyl-F...just one pump in the morning and evening. You can even squirt it right on their paws if you not sure they'll eat all their food. Seems to be working well for their immune systems.
rayrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Right that's it, I'm getting some! Thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement