Cold, cold, cold.... what do you do for your outdoor cats? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hmm....

So no heat. It breaks my heart.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have a shed with windows on 2 sides. I make sure they can slip in and out by keeping those open just enough for a cat. Inside I set up cat houses so they can get out of the wind and keep some heat trapped. I use cardboard boxes filled with straw, placed in a garbage bag with a hole poked on the side so they can slip in. They seemed really popular. When the colony count was high, I'd find cats doubled up in them, and they seemed very comfy.

My poor Ajax insisted on slipping outside with me last week. It wasn't snowing when I left, but in the 1-1/2 hours I was gone it snowed almost 4 inches. This cat was actually born in one of my garbage bag box houses, but brought inside at about 3 weeks of age. His mom was the last female to be caught and spayed, and I hand-raised the litter. He had never seen snow before. When I got back Ajax heard me call and appeared in the shed window, beating frantically at the glass with his paws. I scooped him up, tucked him in my jacket and headed for the house. He was terrified! He doesn't seem to interested in meeting snow again as he has not even looked at the door since getting inside
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I use a solid mat that is activated when the cat is on it. Made by Farm innovators. Various sizes were available at the local pet store.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

I have a
Snuggle Safe Snuggle Safe
disc that I heat in the microwave at night and put the water dish on it. We've only had a few nights where it has gotten below freezing but I think it helps somewhat. And for a shelter, I insulated a plastic bin with styrofoam and heat-reflective material and stuffed it with straw. The two little ferals seem to like it but I still worry about them being outside in the cold.
LadyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

We ordered this:
Amazon.com: K&H 3093 Extreme Weather Kitty Pad with Fleece Cover: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: K&H 3093 Extreme Weather Kitty Pad with Fleece Cover: Pet Supplies

Thank you all for the help. I didn't think they made heated pads specifically pets.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I just posted in a different thread that I use this: http://www.petmountain.com/product/heated-dog-beds/11442-516693/k-h-pet-products-lectro-soft-heated-outdoor-bed.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cp c&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=COSF9-nR0LQCFcqY4Aodc3IA3w

It's made by the same company as yours. The only difference is that this one is soft - it's inflatable. Your kitty will adore the heated pad!
spirite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I just posted in a different thread that I use this: K&H Pet Products Lectro Soft Heated Outdoor Bed Heated Dog Beds

It's made by the same company as yours. The only difference is that this one is soft - it's inflatable. Your kitty will adore the heated pad!
spirite is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement