Sick cat or bad vet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Question Sick cat or bad vet?

Hello All,
I am so concerned and confused. I have a 3-year-old male who has been using the litterbox just fine. The problem is that when he is done pooping, he jumps out and still has poop hanging out. then he drags his butt on the carpet. Oftentimes, there is blood in it, but not always.

We took him to the vet, who gave him a steroid shot and said to give him laxatone. The vet said it was hairballs cutting his intestines. For 2 months, the problem was gone. He has been back to the vet two more times for steroid shots, which do help his puking (he's always been a puker). but the pooping problem continues. We give him laxatone 2x a day!!

My entire family is so tired of cleaning up poop as this happens about twice a day!! Is the vet wrong to just say it's hairballs? They just gave me some pill to kill worms, just in case. What is going on?? We have to find a way to stop this.

Thank you in advance.
LaurieinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yikes, blood in the stool isn't a good sign. Did the vet test the stool? It does sound like he might be constipated, but it could also be something more serious. One of my cats suffers frequently from constipation, and she wouldn't take laxatone. The vet, and many others here, recommended pureed pumpkin, or 1/8 tsp. Miralax dissolved into wet food. Maybe those would be more effective.

I would also consider going to a different vet for a second opinion.
spirite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What are you feeding? Brand and type (canned or dry).

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Did you ask your vet for all possibilities? Did he just give a steroid shot and then blow you off not giving you information? If so find another vet. The sad reality is most vets are dog oriented. They will give the run of the mill treatments for cats. Steroids was not something you want to give a cat unless it is a very serious illness.

When your cat pukes is it mixed with a lot of hair? Are you giving your cat hair ball remedies a couple times a week? FYI NEVER give your cat any Hartz products. They are bad news.

Your cat might need its anal glands expressed. He might have a sluggish intestine. The Miralax would help that. Plus the type and brand of food it is eating could be causing this. . Or worst possible scenario is IBD. Its not a deal breaker but requires thoughtful focus on what is in its food ingredient causing it to have the poo leaking out with the blood.

If your vet didn't run thru all these simple facts then Id find a new vet. Ask a cat rescue or a TNR group what vets are the good vets in your area. Then dump the old vet.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here is web library that is really good. Book mark it. Its called Little Big Cat.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease | Little Big Cat

~Merry~

Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you all. He eats, and only eats, cat food from Aldi or Sam's club. he pukes up just about everything else but soft expensive food. there does not appear to be hair in the puke most of the time. As for the food, the vet said that soft food was worse because it didn't move through as well. My other cats do fine on the current diet.

Thanks for the website, Mitts and Tess. I will look at that ASAP.

I will be checking with another vet soon. The current one has never done an x-ray and I foolishly have never requested it. But having your sweet, young cat keep rubbing his butt across the carpet or hardwood floor just can't go on. We have been dealing with this for months.

I am going to try the pumpkin, look at that website, AND get a new vet. Anything else you think of, I would love to hear!!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Wow, just read that article and I am very enlightened!! Our vet did prescribe the probiotic and the cat loved it. I am still getting another vet, though. I really need a second opinion and it will be worth it.

Keep the advice coming!! Thanks all!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Read the sticky about wet food vs dry. Your vet is wrong about wet food. The vet who writes some of the articles in Little Big Cat promotes a wet/canned diet over using dry food diet.

That being said...I feed dry because of my erractic schedule. But I feed a quality dry. My goal is to go raw one day when my life settles down.

~Merry~

Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks a million meows, Mitts and Tess!! Will do.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

After he uses the litter box, have you checked to see what his stool is like? It sounds gross, but it would be a good idea to take a closer look at it. The shape and consistency may tell you a lot.
Is the blood fresh red blood or sticky and dark? If it is fresh blood, he may be straining too hard causing little tears. If his stool is also hard, then it makes me think constipation.
A diet of primarily dry food can lead to dehydration which can cause constipation. Cats generally don't drink enough water... they rely on getting it from their food which is one of the reasons why wet food is so much better for them.
A food from Aldi or Sam's Club is probably a very low quality food as well. A lot of people are not aware, but there are huge differences between pet foods, and a good quality food can really improve the health of your pet. Food, naturally, has a big effect on digestion and digestive problems. It also can have a huge effect on skin and coat health and the amount your cat sheds (and in turn the amount of hair your cat ingests.) There is a lot of info on the forum about diet, so I would suggest doing some reading about what you should look for in a good food so you are able to choose the best food that you can afford. I suspect that this issue might be solved just by a change to a better diet.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement