Switched to an all wet diet... a couple concerns. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Switched to an all wet diet... a couple concerns.

Before I was feeding my cat 1/2 dry and 1/2 wet. I took her off of the dry completely, including her treats be cause she has a sensitivity to carbs. At first I thought it was just grains, but her dry food (Merrick's Before Grain) was made with potatoes and she still had the same problems (stinky, semi-loose stool with periodic diarrhea).

I've made another thread about this a long time ago explaining my situation, but it finally got to the point where I could afford to feed her an all wet diet.

Now I have a few concerns. The first one is her teeth and jaws. Is it true that she could develop bad teeth from not having anything hard to eat? It makes sense. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a treat or supplement I could give her to chew on that has NO grains, potatoes or fish (neither of us eat fish). I've been scouring the net looking for something suitable but I can't find anything that's not a soft, chewy treat. She does love to chew on cardboard and I have a few boxes around the house so she can do so, but I don't know if that's sufficient or not.

My other concern is her weight and calorie intake. She weighs 10.6 lbs. She's visibly overweight but not too much, something around a 6 according to this: http://media.mercola.com/ImageServer...Chart_cats.jpg

I want her to lose a little weight, she has a saggy ball of fat between her back legs and obvious pads of fat behind and between her shoulders, and she's developed a noticeable thickness at the base of her tail.

She's 2.5 years, fixed and entirely indoors. I'm not really sure how much she's supposed to weight but I think even that .6 lbs would make a huge difference.

Now she's currently getting one 5.5oz can of food a day, split between two meals at 7am and 7pm.

I feed her Wellness Core, Blue buffalo, Before Grain, Avoderm, and Innova canned food, with the Before Grain being about 50% of her diet fed every other day and then one of the other types every other day. I do this because I don't want her getting hooked on one particular food and I'm trying to make sure she's getting enough of every nutrient, and the BF is the only one not made with potatoes or rice.

She's getting somewhere between 150-220 calories a day, depending on what type I feed her.

I'm not really sure how to determine what is the right amount. I'm concerned that she's not getting enough calories at her weight. According to the recommended portions on the cans she should be getting more, but I know they tend to over-recommend, and I'm not sure if I should be feeding her for what she weighs now, or for what weight she should be at. I know she COULD eat more, but she's always been food driven and would probably eat herself into a coma if I let her.

Thanks for reading.
SpiralHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I don't think wet food does anymore damage than kibble does. That's a myth thrown out by vets trying to be nutritionists saying you should only feed kibble. They make tons of kits with tooth brushes and pastes these days. You can always use those if your worried. I know a lot of people here use them... I feed EVO canned and I think someone said it has the lowest amount of calories out there. You could maybe use that to your advantage for her to lose weight. As far as calculating amounts... I'm sure someone here can do that but I don't know exactly how

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I stopped feeding Cyrus dry food about 3 weeks ago. He seems to have lost some fat, and looks leaner and with more muscles now.

Switched to an all wet diet... a couple concerns.-imag1078.jpg
xxKennyDxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How long have you been feeding canned only? I ask because a lot of times just making the switch will help a cat lose weight. Typically, one 5.5-6 oz can per day is about right for a 10 lb cat. If you haven't been feeding wet only for very long I suggest waiting 6-8 weeks and seeing what's happening. I also suggest investing in a baby scale and weighing her every week or two.

If you have been feeding wet for a while and she's not losing, then back off by 10-15% and again, monitor.

To calculate calorie needs I often use the formula of 20-25 calories per lb depending on activity level. So a moderately active 10lb cat would need 225 calories for weight maintenance. For loss, again deduct 10-15%.

EVO is not a low calorie food, it has anywhere from 210-218 calories per 5.5 oz can. Those numbers are pretty typical across the majority of foods and why we recommend one 5.5 oz can for a 10 lb cat...the range of calories is close enough to the 225 I mentioned above.

Low calorie food = Weruva & Tiki

ETA: Dry food does nothing for teeth. Most cats swallow kibble whole and if they do chew, it's typically just one crunch. Unless it's a prescription food designed for dental health (and the ingredients on those are awful) the kibble just shatters and does not achieve any scraping action. So brushing or use of some of the dental products like CET chews or Proden are the things I recommend.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.

Last edited by doodlebug; 01-04-2013 at 06:42 PM.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
How long have you been feeding canned only?
It's only been two weeks.

Quote:
To calculate calorie needs I often use the formula of 20-25 calories per lb depending on activity level. So a moderately active 10lb cat would need 225 calories for weight maintenance. For loss, again deduct 10-15%.
Hmm, so it sounds like she's getting enough to lose weight, but maybe not enough to maintain a healthy weight in the long run. There's a 70 calorie range in the food I'm feeding her and that seems like a lot. Maybe I'll cut down on the low-range types for now and see how she does.

As far as her teeth, I was thinking earlier that yearly cleanings and maybe some raw chicken bones to chew on would be ok? There's no way I could brush her teeth myself. I can't even check her mouth without getting bit.

Thanks for your feed back guys
SpiralHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I couldnt remember if it was the shredded kind or the pate that was low calorie or not... Sometimes Weruva is hard to find. Or at least in my area it is. There is a food called Soulistic that is made by Weruva exclusively for Petco that is also low calorie 94-98... My cats favorite is the Harvest Sunrise Chicken N Pumpkin. They have both "in gravy" varieties which are the shredded style or "in gelee" varieties that are pate. Sometimes hard to find in Petco because all they make is cans! Just ask! Only 11 dollars for an 8 pack of 5.5 oz cans.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Hi there SpiralHorn!

There's a well-respected Veterinarian's site that might be helpful to you in dealing with the caloric needs and in determining how quickly/slowly her weight loss should occur. It's here Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat weight management, obese cat, cat weight loss

Dr. Pierson also recommends a baby scale, btw.

I don't know which Innova canned you're using, but I've just discovered that the Cat & Kitten has an acceptable carb content at 11% - and, it doesn't last five minutes on the plates around here!. Dr Pierson also has food charts on there - could be helpful http://catinfo.org/docs/Food%20Chart...%209-22-12.pdf
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
I couldnt remember if it was the shredded kind or the pate that was low calorie or not...
Maybe in the future you could look it up before posting.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Seems like the food issue has been covered already, so I'll deal with the question about treats. I would probably suggest some kind of freeze dried treat as that is the only one that does't have potatoes, fish OR grains in it. There are a bunch of different kinds. Shrimp, liver, chicken, etc. You can even get dog freeze dried to give to your cats. Make sure you choose the kind that are JUST liver or chicken or whatever you're looking for, some have other things in them. My little kitten LOVES freeze dried stuff. Hope this helps

3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement