dwarfism - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Will keep you posted Dolly will be at the vets tomorrow to be weighed im hopeing she wil be over 800grams (1 and a halfpounds) fingers crossed
dollysmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Jr.cat I saw your photos your cats are beautiful, I have never seen or heard of munchkin cats until I started to research dwarfism. Sorry this is probably a stupid question are munchkin cats a breed of cat or does it just mean a small cat?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Munchkins are a recognized breed in the US. I have big misgivings on this man made breed.

You are a saint! Thank you for coming to this kittens aid. The mother cat would of push it aside and let it die. Do all the organs look OK to the vet? Did the vet say she just going to be tiny or will she be like the munchkin breed with short legs? How is being a runt different from Dwarfism in a cat?

I actually have a dear friend whose daughter has dwarfism. Ive watched all the challenges she has been thru. So Im very curious how it plays out in the cat world!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Premier cat, hi Dolly was still suckling from her mother its just that her milk had started to dry up with the age and amount of kittens that there were there. we still have the mother at the kennels she is really friendly but not microchipped and I'm sad to say that nobody seems to be looking for her. At fisrt dollys eyes and ears looked big but now she has grown a little her body looks in proportion its hard to say at this point how she will turn out and our vet is not too sure either. Dollys front legs kept dislocating but now she is on a stable kitten food and milti vitamins that seems to have sorted that problem out. Dollys heart is fine and - no murmers which the vet was expecting. All in all just a little miracle
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Just got back from the vets Dolly now weighs 870grams = 1.91 pounds her ear mite problem has cleared so this time we just came away with ear wash to be used every 3 days. Vets are still not sure what Dolly has and even if it is a form of dwarfism but there is obviously a problem they just don't know what as it is so rare. Main thing is that she has gained weight and has grown and is happy
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat

Oh my! What a cutie. I do hope her future is bright. How fortunate she found you!
dlowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Aww thanks dlowan, she is my little monster running round terrorising the dogs.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollysmamma View Post
Just got back from the vets Dolly now weighs 870grams = 1.91 pounds her ear mite problem has cleared so this time we just came away with ear wash to be used every 3 days. Vets are still not sure what Dolly has and even if it is a form of dwarfism but there is obviously a problem they just don't know what as it is so rare. Main thing is that she has gained weight and has grown and is happy
I can't speak for her other health issues, but as for her size, it might be that Dolly is just a small / slow-growing cat. You say she's now 1.91 lbs at 5 months. That's only a bit smaller than my Abby. When I adopted her (10 weeks) she weighed less than a pound, and she was 4.5 mths before she finally hit 2 lbs. She was a tiny little thing. Although she'll never be a large cat, she has caught up. She's now 3.5 years old and weighs about 9lbs.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks Susan that's good to hear that someone somewhere has experienced something like this. If now fully grown your Abbey weighs 9lb then there is a bit of hope for Dolly. How much and how often did you feed Abbey as she was growing? Also at what age is a cat classes at fully grown is it around 10 months? Thanks again, any info/ advice is greatly welcomed
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Abby has never been overly fond of food. When she was little, I fed her wet food three times a day...about a tablespoon, although she rarely ate it all. Since I work all day, I also left a small bowl of dry food out so she could nibble when she wanted, although at least half of it was left when I came home from work. She too ate out of teeny-weeny bowls, that were like hamster bowls!

As for when cats are fully grown, it depends on the cat/breed. In most cases, I'd say cats are considered full grown by the time they are 12-18 months. But some breeds, for example Ragdolls, are said to take 4 years before they reach their final size. Abby is a Persian/Ragdoll mix...although she's been about the same weight now since she was 2, and I don't see her growing much more. She only weighed about 5 lbs when she was a year old, but she seemed to steadily grow between 1 and 2 years of age, and by the time she hit 2, she was about 9 lbs...not much change since.
Advertisement