Switching to a new food? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I read something about older cats having kidney trouble once being switched onto grain free? Is this true? Mine have never had kidney trouble that I know of, but the male had some UTI's a few years ago. Also, both are a little over weight and I read that grain free can sometimes make that worse? Should I try the Earthborn that is not grain free first, or is this all not true? Thanks
Iluvanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Grain-free does typically have higher protein levels. Some veterinarians think low protein diets are best for cats with kidney issues. I'm not sure that there's any research to back it up. If I had a cat with kidney issues, I would feed a high protein/low carb grain-free wet food with added water.

I would pick the grain-free.

Moisture is key when it comes to kidney or urinary issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvanimals View Post
I read something about older cats having kidney trouble once being switched onto grain free? Is this true? Mine have never had kidney trouble that I know of, but the male had some UTI's a few years ago. Also, both are a little over weight and I read that grain free can sometimes make that worse? Should I try the Earthborn that is not grain free first, or is this all not true? Thanks
I have never heard this before.... Where did you read it?? Some how I think its false... If your feeding some wet food you should be fine

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Many vets recommend that a cat with kidney issues have a low protein diet. What they're really getting at is that phosphorus has been linked to kidney issues and high protein typically means high phosphorus. However, the vets on the cutting edge are now recommending that a cat with early stage kidney disease continue on a high protein, grain free canned diet and as the disease progresses then add phosphorus binders.

Many people mistakenly believe that grain free equates to high protein. While many grain free foods are high protein, not all of them are. Conversely, I'm not aware of any high protein food that contain grains.

A high protein/phosphorus diet will not cause kidney disease, so there is no reason to avoid a high protein grain free diet with a known healthy cat. (By known healthy I mean one that has recent bloodwork within the last year if over age 10ish).

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement