Switching to a new food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Smile Switching to a new food?

Hi, I have two seven year old kitties that are about 10 and 12lbs. They currently get 1/4 cup of IAMS mature adult with hairball control and about 3 oz of wet food twice a day. The canned is made up of basically whatever of the healthy stuff happens to be on sale, supplemented with some friskies and Fancy feast. They are doing great on the IAMS, and I have no complaints, but I would like to change it to something better. The brands I have been looking at are Innova, felidae, Earthborn, and spots stew. Which of these brands would be the best and which variety of the food. Thanks
Also, is the Precious Cat kitty litter good? That is what I just switched them to. And before anyone says anything, I cannot afford an all wet diet because I am 18 and trying to buy all their food on my own and will eventually be taking them to college with me. Thanks again and sorry this is so long
Iluvanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Precious cat is awesome.... No dust...

Look at the ingredient label on Iams then tell me if you have any complaints Horrid food... However Im glad your looking into something better! I always love people trying to do better for their kitties! Shows you care! Innova is a good food as long as you get Innova Prime as that is the one thats grain free. Felidae is a good food too as long as you get the PureElements variety (grain free). Earthborn is good too. So is the price I personally wouldnt recommend Spots Stew... Im guessing your talking about Halo... Its WAY over priced and they only have one variety thats grain free and like I said WAY WAY overpriced. If you have a Petco near you I would recommend Soulistic cans! Also EVO cans in the big 13 oz size are really cheap and its an awesome food.. you just have to find them or order them like I do from Chewy.com.

Some others you can look at are Taste of the Wild, Natures Variety Instincts, EVO, and GO Natural... Orejin is also a VERY good one but its very expensive.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Iams is not a "horrid" food. It's not as good as it could be, but it's also not as bad as many others out there. It contains chicken and chicken meal, which puts it at mid-range despite the other undesirable ingredients.

OP...the other brands you mention are all good foods and I do second the suggestion of the grain free varieties. Earthborn is probably the best value for ingredients vs cost. You might also want to take a look at Taste of the Wild.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Iams is not a "horrid" food. It's not as good as it could be, but it's also not as bad as many others out there. It contains chicken and chicken meal, which puts it at mid-range despite the other undesirable ingredients.

OP...the other brands you mention are all good foods and I do second the suggestion of the grain free varieties. Earthborn is probably the best value for ingredients vs cost. You might also want to take a look at Taste of the Wild.
Im not sure what ingredient list your looking at but this is it:
Iams ProActive Health Mature Adult Hairball Care Cat Food
Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Meal, Chicken, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract

Unless you are counting chicken by product meal as good.... its pretty bad.. corn grits are second... Meaning its probably more corn than anything else... = horrid.... May not be as bad as meow mix etc... but still pretty bad... I would defiantly not put it mid range in my opinion... Iams Healthy Naturals has chicken and chicken meal... That might be put a little higher but it still has byproducts second..

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I was looking at Iams Original.

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sodium Bisulfate, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast...(vitamins/minerals).

While I'm not thrilled with chicken by product meal it does have nutritional value. The fact that it's a named meat by-product meal means it's a higher quality than something like meat meal. And cats do need some by-products...organ meats are considered by-products. Iams also uses some human grade ingredients.

This is definitely a step up from Meow Mix.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

So, I was looking at the foods again, and I think I will go with the grain free Earthborn. Which variety is better? I heard there can be some problems with feeding fish, should I avoid the wild sea catch (blue bag)? Also, I heard you should switch between several types of dry, is this true?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yes, you should avoid the fish. This is the one I would feed: Primitive Feline : Earthborn Holistic Pet Food

My chihuahuas get Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural (the dog equivalent) and they are doing quite well. I have no complaints about it.

Switching between different dry foods regularly could cause stomach upset. My adult cat is a kibble addict, she only gets dry food. I give her the same food until I have a reason to change. She doesn't seem to enjoy variety at all. It's very difficult to switch her. She prefers a consistent food it seems. I feed her Petcurean Go! Fit + Free. I highly recommend it, it is more expensive though.

Many people like Precious cat, I haven't used it. I use World's Best with my adult cat because it's made from corn and therefore doesn't have silica dust and Tidy Cat Small Spaces with the foster kitten. I was using WBCL with the kitten but she uses so much litter it isn't economical. The Small Spaces litter is practically dust free and it clumps well.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Switching between different dry foods regularly could cause stomach upset.
I guess it depend very much on the cats. ET gets different brands of kibbles all in a day without a single stomach upset. I sometimes do mix 2 different brands too. Though, he is on mostly wet now, I still give him 10% of kibbles and different brands too. I know ET loves kibbles, so he will eat any brand, but it is making him gain weight even though they are all grain-free, and since he is fine with wet too, I prefer to feed him wet, since wet is making him lose some weight.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

So, if I just feed the Earthborn dry with 3oz of wet food (twice a day) and am switching between many brands of canned, is that good? Also, how much should they get, of the dry because they are getting the 3oz of wet. The website says to feed 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup a day for 9-12 lb cats. My cats are about 10 and 12 lbs, so if I feed 1/2 a cup a day with the wet, is that enough? Sorry, I am still trying to figure out all this nutrition stuff, plus I want to be a vet so I am trying to absorb as much as possible so I can recomend good nutrition. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

When I did this I fed 1/4 cup kibble and 3 oz wet... My cats then were 10 and 12 pounds... I think 1/2 would be to much... Unless they are really active I wouldnt feed them that much kibble. You can always start at 1/4 see how they do and adjust from there

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement