toilet training kits? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default toilet training kits?

has anyone tried or had success with the toilet training kits that you sit on top of the toilet and remove the litter bit by bit? my two cats are just filling up the box and i clean it twice a day. i am constantly sweeping up litter that they've thrown everywhere.. even though i had a litter mat. i tried one of the kits many years ago and had no success. the cat was scared to even get on it. any tips or stories to share?
iCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've personally never used one since I've only ever had one cat at a time, and cleaning their box as never been too bad, but I have read a few articles and they all talk about going very, very slow, so that your cats can adjust little by little.

I wish I could find the website that I had read, it had a lot of tips! But the basics were to gradually move the litterbox closer to the toilet, until it was next to the toilet and make sure your cat was comfortable, then the gradually put books and such under the litterbox in order to add height. You just have to go slowly, and keep a close eye on your cat to make sure their comfortable. Eventually the litterbox and toilet will be the same height and that is when they suggest you start using like a bowel, or one of those toilet training kits in the toilet.
Jakiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

And from my understanding it can be a very lengthly process, so don't be disheartened if you find yourself going back a step or two every now and again, many cats don't take well to changes, especially when it comes to their litterboxes. Depending on the cat, and their willingness/ability to change, it could take a few weeks, a few months, or even a year to fully toilet train them.

Some cats pick up on it quickly, like some friends had a cat who ended up teaching himself how to use the toilet without any help from his people. He just decided he wanted to be a big boy, and started using the toilet and flushing too. Though it isn't recommended that you teach your cat to flush because then they could find it rather fun, and start flushing the toilet, even when they haven't used the bathroom.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiepoo View Post
Though it isn't recommended that you teach your cat to flush because then they could find it rather fun, and start flushing the toilet, even when they haven't used the bathroom.
I can totally picture trying to sleep at night and hearing my Sam flush the toilet over and over! Thanks for the laugh
Apocrypha428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiepoo View Post
Though it isn't recommended that you teach your cat to flush because then they could find it rather fun, and start flushing the toilet, even when they haven't used the bathroom.
HA!!! ROFLOL!! That would be funny. My water bill is way too high as it is, but the thought of them using the toilet is heaven!! I can only wish.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Aha I can only imagine! Apparently my mom was actually babysitting for them one night and she had no idea he could flush the toilet when she heard it flush! She was terrified.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

LOL thanks guys
iCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I am in the process of toilet training two cats. One is better than the other. It is a lengthy process, I'm using the litter kwitter and have been on the green stage for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
crazyismycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I think maybe your looking for this... Litter Kwitter

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I will begin by saying - I am not employed by either of these companies. So the below are just my experiences.

I purchased the LitterKwitter and started my Savannah training on Feb 21 (at three months old - recommended age of young kittens to begin).

Everything started ok, while he would go both pee & poo in the first stage disk "red", I can tell he does not like the "raised" center rim in the red disk. He has opted to pee elsewhere in the house a few times. I think because of his dislike of the rim in the red disk. I sense he doesn't have enough comfortable room for his feet, as he has not learned to have feet on white rim yet (the mock toilet seat ring). Also the "clips" needed to have the LK secure to toilet were not in the box, contacted company and never got a response. Great customer service - NOT!

So, I bought the CitiKitty toilet training system yesterday. Same concept but yet much better. No disks, one molded piece that you gradually pop out the perforated sections. I think my little boy finds it more comfortable to move around in and position himself to do his business. So next week I move it to up on the the human toilet and continue our adventure in toilet training...

My thought is go with the Citikitty system.

I plan to stick with it, I really want him to use the human toilet. Also you can buy from the the CitiKitty site an automatic toilet flusher - to flush after your cat does his/her business. Kinda cool I think.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement