Stray needs to go to the vet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Stray needs to go to the vet

I have a stray I have been feeding and trying my best to look after. He needs to go to the vet and have his eye seen about. Before this episode with his eye I had tried to take him to get seen about in general and was able to get him in a carrier but once I closed the door he became anxious, to say the least, and once I started the truck and started moving he became terrified. He was meowing, hollering, trying to scratch and bite his way out of the carrier and was just stressed beyond anything I have had experience with before. I had to stop and let him back out.
I MUST get him to the vet tomorrow (Monday) and I wonder if anyone has any ideas that might make his trip go easier. Luckily the vets office is not too far, maybe four or five miles, but it would seem like a lifetime with him acting and feeling the way he did previously. What should I do??
chrisch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I'm surprised that you can get him in the carrier!
Suggest covering the carrier. You might try some of the calming potions that are out there. Beyond that, just ignore him. As long as he's not hurting himself, getting him treated is more important than his feelings on the subject. Good luck if he needs home treatment!
lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with lyle: just do it. I had a cat like that once. She was VERY high strung and just a terror on vet trips. I started giving her a GNC store supplement called Calms Forte.
Hyland's Calms Forté - HYLANDS - GNC=

Calmed her right down. Try it if you have the inclination to buy it. Won't hurt and if you need it to help sleep it will do that too! I was lucky because Maggie would eat it right out of my hand. Otherwise you will need to pill her.

Last edited by marie73; 01-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

All three of my cats hate car rides and scream the whole way. There's not much you can do but you were lucky you got him in the carrier. He probably won't go in this time now. You could cover the carrier but he is likely to scream still.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Got him to the vet and hopefully a new home lined up

Thanks guys. I was able to get him to the vet this morning, thank goodness. I was afraid I might not be able to get him into the carrier this time but after one aborted attempt and a couple of little scratches I was able to get him safely inside. I had some Feliway at home and this time sprayed the blanket and inside of the carrier with it pretty good and I believe it helped a lot.

Like I said he is homeless at the moment. He has a problem with his right eye, could be conjunctivitis according to the girl at the vet's office, I don't know. Yesterday afternoon when I saw him his eye was completely scabbed over and it scared me, I didn't know what might have happened. Soon after he must have cleaned it off and it didn't look good but I tried to carefully clean around it the best I could and knew I had to get him to the vet right away. He also appears to have worms, tapeworms I imagine.

Anyway, I told the vet to check him out completely, give him all his shots and do whatever needs to be done to fix whatever may be wrong with him. Hopefully I have a new family for him to go home to. I am praying it all works out for him and he gets to go to a nice, safe and loving home. I would appreciate your prayers for him also.

Thanks again!
chrisch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thanks for looking out for this cat. You
are wonderful for doing this!

Eye problems are very serious and can result in blindness
very quickly unless treated. You did this cat a great service
to have him treated for his eye problem.

Keep us posted. We love happy endings. I'm excited you have a
good home for this cat to go to! Great job you've done for him.
You changed his life for the better!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement