feeding cats question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default feeding cats question

Hi, I have posted a few a few questions on here already, thanks for all the helpful replies. Just some background, we just adopted our first kitties, both female and said to be about 10 months old now. The foster person said she was feeding them Purina Cat Chow so I stuck with that at first and also tried adding some wet canned friskies. I then began reading up on feeding cats and decided I needed to switch foods. While on the cat chow one of the cats (Latte) has been have loose bulky stools and some days they smell horrible. Several times there has been a tiny bit of blood in her stool as well. Woman from the rescue said it may be from adding the wet food so I stopped the wet and didn't see blood for a few days but then it reappeared so I am going to say it wasn't the wet food. From my searches online it seems she may have IBS and I think she is also overeating. I started slowing switching them over to Natures Variety Instincts dry food. I know, I know many saw all wet is better but for now I am starting slow and trying to get them off the cat chow and get Latte doing better and then I will add wet to the diet as well and see how she tolerates it.

Besides the stool issue, from observing the cats when I feed them. Mocha (smaller of the two) eats for a few minutes and then leaves to go play or look out the window and she comes back later for a few more bites. Latte (the larger of the two) will eat her whole bowl (I have been feeding them 1/4cup 3x a day) and then go over to Mocha's for more. I don't know if I give them more at a time and drop it down to 2 feedings if that will make much difference. I am hoping with the new food (going from 36% protein up to 50% will keep her fuller). So I have started putting Mocha's bowl up in our cabinet when she is done and then giving it back to her when she comes back to the kitchen for more. I feed them in different areas of the kitchen now too. Latte looks to me to be overweight. I don't know her exact weight but when you pick her up she is quite heavy, especially in comparison to Mocha. And Mocha feels more "boney". Any tips to dealing with one petite cat who likes to graze all day and one plump cat who wants to eat all day long?

Should I change the feedings to 2x a day so they get more at each feeding?
Wait and see if the better food makes a difference? so far only 25% of the daily amount is the new stuff, starting tomorrow i am upping it.

Today I even tried letting Latte eat about half of her food and then distracting her with toys to play for a bit.

Thanks for your help.
carrieann0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

This may help. Blood in Stool - VetInfo

I have the luxury of being home all day with 5 cats (now that the foster is gone) and 5 different ways of eating! Two stuff themselves silly and one grazes all day on dry food - a nibble here and a nibble there and won't even touch the wet food - not even tuna! The other 2 are somewhere in between. You are right to increase the protein, it will help them feel full longer. I use Purina One and Purina Naturals (they all like it) and wet food twice a day. There are lots of different opinions on feeding here so I'm sure you'll get good advice. You just need to sift through it to find out what is best for you and your kitties. Remember cats are like people: some are fussy eaters, some are not, some are hefty some are petite.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The best advise I can give is timed feedings three times a day. This is what my vet recommended. You place the food in front of them and give them thirty minutes to finish. What doesn't get finished gets taken away. Then do the same for the next two feedings. They will learn to eat what's given to them or they will have to wait until the next feeding. It took about two weeks for mine to adjust but they did. This works best for me with a wet only diet. Now they come to me exactly when their next feeding should be ready and feel full when they are done and no food goes to waste. They even trade bowls to lick up any last morsels.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement