Found sick/injured kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Found sick/injured kitty

A sweet kitty that looks like it has literally been through a ringer showed up at my door last night. His tail is broken and hanging from the base, one eye is clouded over, also various wounds and scrapes. He needs a vet, but we haven't had any sales since the election and temporarily find ourselves without the resources for a vet bill. I've considered taking him to a shelter, but my neighbors that are cat people, say it's a kill shelter and he/she (I shall call it a "he" hence forward) will be put down due to the shape it is in. We are currently calling him "Beater."

He ate and drank some water this morning. He's EXTREMELY affectionate. This was/is somebody's cat. He's just too precious to let die. Tonight I started giving him watered down canned cat food in a syringe. Very liquid with a wee bit of corn syrup mixed in because he has that "down" look that my yorkie would get as a puppy that karo would cure. (I realize cats are not Yorkies... I panicked.)

Any advice someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I feel sure that he needs a good round of antibiotics. Antibiotics can be had for horses at our local tractor supply. Should I get some and give him a miniscule dose?

I hope to keep him alive until we finally get a sale so that I can get him to a vet... or if there are any cat rescues in the area that would like to take him on, I live in Pipe Creek, TX... Or if you are missing a gray tabby in the Pipe Creek area, please contact me!

Thanks so much!
michu
michu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Poor little guy! It really does sound like he is going to need to see a vet. If it tail looks broken and is open, that's going to be a terrible place for an infection since it's his spine.
Good luck with him! I hope he can get the care he needs and will make a great pet!
dapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Please don't let him suffer. Take him to a vet, explain his situation - AND yours, ask sympathetic neighbors to help chip in some $$$ - ANYTHING but continue to have him suffer.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Call around different vets, maybe one will let you do payments on the bill. Some vets may give you a reduced rate if it is a rescue situation. Please take him and at least have him checked out and some antibiotics and painkillers going. Poor baby, and maybe your neighbor can help a little. Thank you for taking care of the little thing, at least he has a roof, food and some love.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My vet allows payment in instalments if there's a problem. Please don't let this darling die.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

go to alley cat allies in san antonio if possible. they treat feral and stray cats so it might not even cost you. i'm not sure, my vet would do it because he's affiliated with aca.

Veterinary Care Guide - Alley Cat Allies
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

grrr 5 minute edit rule:

here's a list of clinics if that doesn't help: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html#Texas
you might be able to surrender him to a shelter who will care for him and then adopt him later, but i'm not sure how that would work.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Please let us know what happens!
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

good gravy, you'd think i could get this all in one post.

even if you can get antibiotics, please don't do that because they need to culture whatever and that will skew the results. also, giving a little of an antibiotic instead of an entire course just breeds a super-infection.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Please either get him help or surrender him to a vet. He's suffering.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement