Good informational tid bit for everyone who takes their cat to the vet! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Good informational tid bit for everyone who takes their cat to the vet!

I recently went about trying to get a wormer for my cats because Im starting to feed them whole prey. I landed on Drontal for cats because its an "all wormer" Takes care of hookworms, roundworms, AND tapeworms. I dont think Ive ever seen a wormer that you can just go out and buy that took care of all three so I wanted to share this with you. Apparently recently (last few years) this drug has been approved for over the counter use by the FDA themselves but yet vets are still trying to say you need a prescription and probably charging you 30 dollars or more per pill. (This is what my vet tried to tell me when I called today to try and get some) Maybe they dont know the FDA approved it for OTC I dont know but Im defiantly not paying to bring my cat in to the vet for someone else to administer a wormer that I can do my self! Heres where I ordered mine today: Vet Depot

Also here is the FDA website link for proof: NADA 141-008 Drontal? Tablets - original approval

Passage towards the bottom of the page:
"The labeling contains adequate directions for use which were written for the layman. It is reasonably certain that the conditions of use prescribed, recommended, or suggested in the proposed labeling will be followed in practice. The effective use of Drontal tablets assumes that an accurate diagnosis can be made with a reasonable degree of certainty, including the diagnosis of tapeworm infections, how cats acquire hookworm and large roundworm infections, the proper administration of Drontal Tablets, and methods to prevent reinfection with parasites. The label contains directions for the lay person to consult their veterinarian before administration to a sick or pregnant animal and for assistance in the precise diagnosis, treatment, and control of parasites. The drug is therefore approved for OTC distribution." Last update was 10-28-09

If I understand the passage above this one correctly on that page its only the Drontal for cats that is available without prescription now. For all of you who foster or take care of ferals this might be a good thing for you!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement