New Litter Love - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default New Litter Love

So we went to Target last Friday, and they had Tidy Cat litter for $7 for the 20 lbs container. I thought they were trying to get rid of the stuff since it was so cheap, but being kinda broke, I decided to try it. It was the Easy Breathe kind so that also sold me on it. It advertised 94+% dust free. I have had a terrible time with other clumping litters and how dusty they are. At night, my allergies act up and I am wheezing and coughing all over the place. It's been getting progressively worse to the point that I was considering eliminating one of the litter boxes altogether.

So now, after a few days of trying this stuff, I can say that it's comparable to Fresh Step at masking odors and clumping, but nowhere as perfumey or dusty. I can't smell the litter scent all over the cats and all over the house each time they go. That was a really annoying result of using it. I am also breathing much better so I will definitely be continuing to buy this product.

Anyone else tried it?

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

just after adopting my cats I bought tidy cats (dont remember which one, for sure it was scoopadle and almost no scent) because they used it in their foster home. it was ok, but I switched to precious cat, which is almost the same price, and i like it even better. it's really dust free, and it's only one ingredient - natural clay. it clumps well, there is no odor form litter boxes whatsoever and it really doesn't have any dust in it.

at my local pet smart i buy it for around $16 for 40 pounds bag.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sounds intriguing. Unfortunately, there is no PetSmart near me. I am not lugging 40 lbs of litter on the subway and then the bus.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I agree, Tidy Cats is great. I recently started using something called Integrity which is, like, 98% dust-free but is more expensive.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I switched from Fresh Step (can't even stand the smell now) to Tidy Cats. When my grocery store features the 20 lbs. container for $5, I seriously stock up!

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I bought some Tidy Cats Small Spaces because the foster kitten was using up my reserve of WBCL. It's dust-free as far as I can tell. It clumps well and it has no issues preventing odor. I like it. If I can't find a good deal on WBCL later, I might switch my own kitty to it but I do still have concerns about silica dust that I don't see. I also have allergies and sometimes feel like I can't breathe at all. I use an air purifier now and it does help quite a bit. I think a big part is that this house is just old and dusty. No matter how much I clean, it stays dusty.

I haven't seen the Breathe Easy variety in any stores here. If I ever find any, I might buy a small container and test it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
I am not lugging 40 lbs of litter on the subway and then the bus.
yeah, no kidding!
it's often available on amazon for about $20 and no tax, so price is not bad. But as for almost everything on amazon, price changes, so some days it's $20, some days it would be $30.

at least amazon delivers right to your door

today it's for $20.49:

Amazon.com: Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter, 40 pound bag: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter, 40 pound bag: Pet Supplies
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
it was ok, but I switched to precious cat, which is almost the same price, and i like it even better. it's really dust free, and it's only one ingredient - natural clay. it clumps well, there is no odor form litter boxes whatsoever and it really doesn't have any dust in it.

at my local pet smart i buy it for around $16 for 40 pounds bag.
Same here! I cat-sat for a friend recently and became a total convert to the Precious Cat she was using for her 3 cats. It has no dust whatsoever, and doesn't smell at all. I'm truly amazed by it. I was using S*Wheat Scoop because it's flushable, but after seeing the difference in the dustiness I'm really glad I switched. I didn't try the work-it-in-slowly method either . . . I just gave Murphy two litterboxes, one with the S*Wheat Scoop and the other with Precious Cat, for a few days, and then took away the S*Wheat Scoop. Mission accomplished.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

We also use the "ultra" precious cat litter, we love it, and Lily's nose no longer acts up . I bought a 20lb thing of Tidy Cats on clearance for 3 dollars though after Christmas and I am keeping it just in case we cannot make it up to Petsmart and they run out of litter

R.I.P Baxter August 21st, 1998-November 1st, 2011. Barnaby July ?, 1998-January 15th, 2012
RockyandLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

All this talk about new kitty litter had me intrigued and almost sold on the Precious Cat brand! Who doesn't want less dust and smell?? I checked the price and have to say it's just too rich for me!! They want $18 for an 12# bag!! I have 5 cats and go through at least one 20# bucket a week! I guess I'll just have to put up with the dust in the laundry room!
Advertisement