A Few Questions About Feeding my Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default A Few Questions About Feeding my Cat

I notice a few people here tend to feed a mixture of wet and dry food to their cats, is this mainly to reduce the feeding costs of an all wet diet, or is there another health benefit to doing this? And those of you who do feed both, do you mix the wet and dry food together and put it down? Or do you feed them something different at separate times? Also, what about how much of the food is dry, and how much is wet?

Also, on another note, how is nutrience canned food for my cat? Now that he's settled in nicely we're starting to switch him from Royal Cannin Adult Fit (what he was fed at the shelter) to wet food, and I'm new to the whole what's good and bad for my cat, and I want to make the right choices as far as his nutritional needs, and my economical capabilities.

Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, oceanfish, brown rice, brewer’s dried yeast, sunflower oil, guar gum, carrageenan gum, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), taurine, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, zinc proteinate, zinc sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, iron proteinate, iron sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganese sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement.

Those are the ingredients for the chicken adult wet food, I was hoping for some more opinions on how it looks. I know it's not as good as brands like Wellness, but that's just not something I can afford to feed him at this point in time.

On a side note, what is the difference from regular food and holistic food?
Jakiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I do feed Boo a wet/dry mix I asked our local pet valu and he said that the mix of both had good health benefits. For us we needed Boo to add weight and fast as she was severely malnourished and to be honest it is partly financial for me as her food is not cheap, she has stomach issues so we have her on a high end food that has similar ingredients to the one you listed.

Boo is not a huge fan of the dry as she is teething at the moment and shes not a huge fan of the food dead cold from the fridge (For a former stray who was probably born in a pool of gasoline she sure is a fussy bugger) So what I do is run her bowl under warm water to warm it up. I then add some dry and wet and mix it well, as I find that she leaves the dry if its not mixed in well.

The ingredients for your food look really good to me but im sure others will chime in.
britishvixen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

For 2 cats, I'd been giving about 1/4 c. dry food overnight, 1/8 c. during the day, and then they split a 5.5 oz. can of wet, though they don't usually finish an entire can. I'd always fed this way - didn't know any better - and I think my girls got so used to it that they refused to eat the wet except in the evening. When I left out wet food overnight, but no dry, one preferred to starve herself rather than eat the wet. SO stubborn. The other would eat a little, but then be really hungry in the morning, inhale her food, and promptly throw up. Every single time.

Recently, they've been enjoying wet food enough that I can give it twice a day. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it in the morning though, because I have to smush it first, and this takes a much longer time than it should.

The ingredients in your food look pretty similar to the ingredients in many other high quality foods, except for many of the grain-free foods that have a really high protein content.

Holistic food. Not a clue. I don't even know what it means for humans, and I can't imagine that there's a nutritional value to it. Maybe someone else here knows?
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Awesome thanks guys! I did think it was pretty good food, but like I said, I'm kind of new to the whole what's good, and not good for cats so I wanted to be careful and get a second opinion!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have been making alot of changes to ET's diet these couple of months, gradually increasing his wet to 90%. The other 10% of kibbles are 1tbs throughout the night and treats during grooming session or some kibbles for topping up his wet. I never mix wet and dry, its only about 4-6pcs of kibbles for topping up his wet to entice him to eat if he didn't like that particular flavour.

I'll still keep to kibbles for times when I need to leave him on his own for hours or during pet sitting or boarding, so there won't be any problem with transitioning him over. Not so much for health benefit reasons.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I think you meant Nutrisource cat food? I think it's a great food. I just finished up a big bag of their Pure Vita grain free cat food. I do 1/4 cup dry in the morning and a about 3 oz wet for my big guys (12lbs) I don't mix wet and dry food. I use Friskies wet food, not the best, but my guys eat it and it's better than no wet at all. We also do one day a week of raw food for their evening meal instead of the canned.

I do it because of convenience, there are a few days where I have to leave for work at 7am so it makes it easy to feed quickly, in the evenings I have more time and that's when I also do supplements for everyone. Definitely isn't cheaper as I feed a very high quality dry food. Since I have been doing this, my older cats have lost their extra weight and I feel better about what they are eating. All have very soft coats and solid/non stinky poops (well, as less stinky as they can be)

Holistic is just a marketing gimmick. The only thing it means is 'treating the whole body', which is what ANY food does. The only food I think of as being 'truly' holistic is Nature's Logic as they do not use any premixed vitamins/minerals. They use vegetables for that, then there is the debate that cats can't digest veggies. I wouldn't get too hung up on it, most is just for marketing and it sounds good.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nutrience looks like an OK food, just kind of average. I prefer a food to be grain free, not a fan of the brewer's yeast. Their website doesn't indicate whether their ingredients are human grade, they own the manufacturing facility but don't say where it's located and they don't indicate the source of their ingredients. All of those things are worrisome. The fact that they have formulas and justify the use of corn as a positive thing also bothers me.

There is absolutely no positive nutritional reason to feed dry, but there are plenty of negatives (dehydration, high carb content....possible urinary and kidney issues, diabetes etc.). That said, many people need to feed it to stretch their budget or need the convenience. I recommend feeding no more than 1/3 of the diet as dry. Generally an 1/8 of a cup of dry represents a similar calorie content as 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can of wet. So for a 10lb cat feeding 2/3 of can and 1/8 cup dry per day is reasonable.

It's not recommended to mix wet and dry together unless the cat will eat it all quickly (1/2 or less). Dry food carries a lot of bacteria on the kibbles, putting it in a moist environment will allow the bacteria to flourish.

For many years I've done wet for breakfast & dinner, dry before bed. You can add a little warm water to refrigerated food to bring up the temp and make the consistency more like a fresh can. The added water will also help offset the water missing from any kibble you feed. Purists are not fans, but you can also put refrigerated food in the microwave for about 9 seconds (for 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can). Stir it to even out the temp. That will take the chill off.

There is no real definition of holistic when it comes to foods. But generally you will find it has pre and probiotics, chelated minerals and sometimes other supplements like glucosamine and chrondroitin for joint health, antioxidents, omega-3s for skin & coat, coconut oil etc. Basically it's about ensuring that the food nourishes the whole body properly and isn't just a source of energy for survival.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

There's a holistic brand of cat kibbles with very decent ingredients and grain-free. It's a Sg company, but their website said, they have expanded and now their manufacturing plant is in China - do I still dare buy that brand? no way.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Awesome guys, thanks for all the help I really appreciate it! As of right now, the transition is going well, but when it comes to mixing the food, I tried just sprinkling the kibble on top, but if I do that he will eat only the kibble, so I have to mix it in, and then he'll eat it all up.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

My cat gets both too. She used to eat dry food only, but now about 3/4 of her food is wet and she just gets a very small portion of dry before we go to bed or sometimes at lunch. I mostly give it to her because she likes it a lot better than the wet food, and sometimes it's just more convenient, like on days when you need to use an automated feeder if you can't be at home for feeding times.