Transitioning from free range eating. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Transitioning from free range eating.

I have done a search of the forum so I apologise if this has been done before Mods. Im new here and still navigating.

Anywho, Boo who we got back in Nov 2012 has a pretty sensitive tummy, so we have her on a pretty strict eating regime with good kitten food she was pretty malnourished when she arrived so we are trying to add healthy weight to her.

Bee our oldest cat has always been a free range eater and is on an adult formula.

However, we are finding that Boo is eating Bees food inbetween meals, and we feel like its not helping her stomach issues.

We want to switch Bee to the same meal times as Boo to make life simpler and to stop the eating of eachothers food. (although Bee is amazing and has never touched Boos food)

I have no idea how to switch it over, I tried today and every time I went to take her food away she wanted to eat it again.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this and how did you go about it? any advice would be great.

I feel a little awful as Bee has already made so many concessions for Boo so i want to make it as easy on her as possible.

Also has anyone had experience of switching from dry to wet food. I want to try and get Bee to eat more wet but she is so fussy and turns her nose up at it.

Thanks in advance.
britishvixen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I have had some experience with picky cats. Miss Kitty, my himalayan growing up, was the pickiest eater. She would only eat very cheap food, she wasn't a fan of wet food and didn't really like human food. (WEIRD, RIGHT?)

I would say the best way to get a cat to eat something is to mix it with something they like. Also, grain free food is great for meal feeding as it doesn't have all the fillers, it keeps them fuller longer.

I feed my cats half wet/half dry.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Some kitties just don't like wet food, but maybe you could try different flavors and textures. My cats only eat pate, but others will eat anything but pate.

As for the feeding times, hard as it might be, Bee will figure it out if you don't cave and just take the food away when she's done. Easier said than done, and much easier if you can arrange to be out of the house right after you take the food away. If she has to wait longer until the next meal, she should be hungry enough to eat a decent amount of food. Then you could keep extending how long she has to wait.

It does seem mean, since Bee had her system until Boo (such cute names!) arrived on the scene, but if you can resist feeling guilty, you'll succeed. You can make it up to her by giving her extra attention.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thank you so much for the replies. I took away her food last night and she was like "Mama what are you doing!!!" lol and this morning when i woke up she was pretty anxious for breakfast. They are both eating as we speak I am going to give them 30 minutes to finish then take it away.

As for the wet she is a really fussy eater. Bee is like grrawritsjordi's Miss Kitty she wont even eat Tuna out the can! I read on here that a pea sized bit mixed in gradually should help her acclimatize. The wet food thing isnt a huge deal I just know health wise its better than dry and stops UTI's although Bee is a really good drinker.

Thanks again for the advice, I will persevere. I figured I would feed them at 9am, 1pm and 9pm to start. If i find that they are super hungry in the morning I might push back the 9pm till later.

Wish me luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

good luck! I am in the process of transition too! i mean my cats are
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Its 11.45am, feed is due at 1pm and Bee is currently pacing between her empty food mat, to my feet and giving me the "Im starvinggggggggg" meow and "ppllleeeeaassseeee" eyes LOL feel so bad right now but I am strong I can do this, even if i did give them some treats at elevensies LOL.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Let me know how its going for you Anie.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishvixen21 View Post
Let me know how its going for you Anie.
well, I started the process about 5 weeks ago. so far I learned that my cats will not go cold turkey with new food - they will rather starve that eat new.

I successfully took them off dry food (my goal is 100% wet good quality diet) and transitioned them to scheduled feeding - they get food three times per day at 7:30-8am, at 5pm, and last meal at 9-9:30pm.

as for food itself, i started adding very small amount of new food (in my case EVO) to their old food (fancy feast). I was literally adding 1/12 of small EVO can to half can of FF per cat per meal. they ate like that for 2 weeks, then I started adding more EVO, like 1/10 of can to half can FF.

Meanwhile one of my cats got steroid shot for his health issues and as a side effect he got super big appetite and acts like a little piggy. so now, depending on how hungry they are I give them 1/8 or 1/10 EVO can plus 1/2 FF can per meal. we will see how this goes.

if you want to make them eat new food be sure they are actually hungry when time for meal comes. at some point i was overfeeding mine, and they would turn their noses up. they needed little of healthy hunger drive

and I do know that "pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease feed me" behavior and have such a hard time not to resist...

especially now with Blackberry after steroid shot he acts like he is hungry all the time! yesterday at 7pm he was just sitting in the kitchen by their feeding mat. I kept telling him it's not time yet, it's not 9pm yet, be I dont think he got it!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

You know what happened come 1pm she just sniffed at her food, looked at me like I was the worst Mum in the world and sauntered off LOL shes as stubborn as a mule that one.

But I was strong I kept putting her back to her bowl and she ate about half and after half an hour the bowl came back up.

I have pre measured there food and she has only eaten 1/4 cup so far today so come 9pm im hoping she is pretty hungry.

As for the new food, I am going to take it a stage at a time and get her on a feeding schedule first then try and introduce the new food.

As I said she has made so many concessions since her sister arrived and has taken everyone like a champ, im scared shes gonna get to breaking point and take a big dump on the couch and walk out with a hanky tied a stick with her fav toy in it as she shows us her butt on the way out LOL

Thanks so much for the advice. thank god for this forum its beginning to be a bit addictive.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

yeah, just take it slowly.

first transition her to schedule feeding with her old food.
when you establish that, move to adding little new food to old one.

dont rush, she has enough going on with new cat at home and changing her eating schedule for now.

there will be time for introduction of new food in a few weeks.
Advertisement