Frontline not working on my cat. Please advise. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Frontline not working on my cat. Please advise.

Several months back I posted that I built an outdoor enclosure for my indoor cat so that he could enjoy the outdoors safely without being able to wander off. I started him on Frontline from Petsmart because I figured he'd get flees. Well, he did, and they're all over him even 2 weeks after applying the treatment. Anyone have success with other products or methods? Like I said my cat is indoors at all times unless he's outside in his enclosure. I want to get the current flees off and then keep them off while still being able to let him use his outdoor enclosure.

Thanks.
Saydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I personally havent had luck with Frontline at all... I use Advantage II for cats. I would maybe give that a try a month after you applied the frontline. And I would keep him inside until you see the flea problem is gone. Also I would throughly vacuum your house...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
I personally havent had luck with Frontline at all... I use Advantage II for cats. I would maybe give that a try a month after you applied the frontline. And I would keep him inside until you see the flea problem is gone. Also I would throughly vacuum your house...
Thanks for the suggestion. One question: I have wood floors. Do I need to vacuum the wood floors? Could fleas be in the cracks or something?

I should also add that I had my exterminator apply flea treatment to my house a month ago, which makes the flea problem even more confusing.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Hmm.... Well maybe I would vacuum thoroughly. Apply Advantage II and have the exterminator come back again and say he didn't fix the problem the first time... Then you should be good. And yea you might as well go over your wood floors.... Wouldn't hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Did you have him spray your bed, couches, pet beds and carpets? If not, that could be re infesting your cat. I definitely second (or is it third) the Advantage.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
Did you have him spray your bed, couches, pet beds and carpets? If not, that could be re infesting your cat. I definitely second (or is it third) the Advantage.
I assume he did, but he had me go outside for 30 minutes while he applied the flea stuff in my house with a mask on, so I didn't watch him. Oh, and he had me bring Booger outside with me so that neither of us inhaled that stuff.

I'll call him and tell him the situation and maybe he can tell me what I can do to take hold of the situation if possible so that he doesn't have to come back.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Comfortis is what I use. Frontline, Frontline Plus and Advantage didnt work on my cats. You have to get it at the vet as it is RXed. My vet charges $10 per tablet for a 10-20pound cat. It actually cost me no more or less buying it on a monthly basis instead of a few months at a time. The tablet is beef flavor and I crush it up in some wet food. They it it well.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Try Revolution. Frontline and Advantage don't work-the fleas have literally become immune to it. Frontline Plus and Advantage II still work in some places, but they are also loosing their effectiveness.

As for your house, I agree the exterminator needs to spray any throw rugs and upholstered furniture that you have. Also, you need to wash all your laundry, bedding, curtains, etc in the hottest water that the fabrics can handle.
katbaalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Revolution and Advantage II work well here.
wallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

We had a flea infestation when we moved in here. Previous owners had a dog. I had a devil of a time getting rid of the fleas. You need to do a 10-10-10 system of elimination. Buy a fuminigator for every room of the house specifically made for fleas (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and leave the room while it works. Do it again 10 days later. Do it AGAIN 10 days later. The reason for the repeat sessions is because the nits take 10 days to hatch. Doing it a third time ensures it will get everything. It's a pain in the *ss but you can do it. Yes, fleas can get in to hardwood cracks, baseboard cracks, etc. Everywhere. Plus Revolution. Works better IMHO.
Advertisement