I clipped 3 nails - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

congratulations you are stronger than me. im scared im going to hurt them so fiance does it for me.

I really hope we never break up cos he does all the gross jobs LOL, Il be there Bridget Jones style with cat poop overflowing and two cats with nails like talons if he does!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicichan View Post
Congratulations! I sometimes clip a few of Ruby's nails too, but I can never do more than 2 or 3 at a time. .
hahaha...so I'm not alone. I managed another 1, only 1 the whole of yesterday, so I finished his left paw, 2 more to go on his right paw, lol. I tried holding one of his paw, but he hit me with his other paw, thank goodness with retracted claw, lol. Isn't it funny? we can be so scared of a pet so small, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
lol you will get used to clipping and will not be anxious anymore lol maybe even ET will get used to it! lol
indeed, it would be easier if he was a lap cat, but hey you found your way around it
I envy you that it's possible to brush his teeth. I am scared to death to do that to my cats, they would probably bite my fingers off...
I guess if he is a lap cat, it may make things easier, I don't know. Yea, I was scared to death doing the 3 most difficult task, conquered combing 1st, but with much scratching and biting. I was wondering if you may wanna try getting your kitty used to you touching his mouth/lips 1st before attempting to brush, which was what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishvixen21 View Post
congratulations you are stronger than me. im scared im going to hurt them so fiance does it for me.

I really hope we never break up cos he does all the gross jobs LOL, Il be there Bridget Jones style with cat poop overflowing and two cats with nails like talons if he does!
Oh no! the basics of cat keeping is clearing the poo, IMO. If you can't trim the nails, that's understandable, but you must learn to clear the poop, clean the litter box. You must try to do it one of these days, ya? We do get sick, your fiance will too, and you will have to do it one fine day.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I finally completed all 10 nails on the front on Day 3. I'm still trimming more, cos I realised I didn't trim further enough, still quite far from the quick. Anyway, just wondering if there is a need to trim nails on the hind leg. It looked long but not pointed like the front.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Well done! It's a natural thing to be excited about. It took 3 years of daily Paw Work before my Lovey cat would allow me to snip even one claw. Gradually I was able to do a couple at a time, which lead to one whole paw at a time, to two paws at a time. After about 3 more years I managed to get the hind claws done. Now, she has been here..well it will be 8 years next month. And I can do all four paws in one session. But it took 6 years for her to get there.

So, yes, it is absolutely a cause for celebration!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I do all 4 paws as does my
Vet when I took him in for my last checkup. My boyfriend who has had cats his entire life said he's never trimmed the back nails before so I don't know which is "normal"

I'd say while you're getting him into the routine, you might as well do the back too. It's not really that much effort once they're acclimated to the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks lovefourtimes, rightsaidfed. Ya, no matter how long it will take, I am patient enough to wait till ET is all ready for anything. No intention to stress him out unnecessarily. I remembered couple of months back, someone wanted to return a favour by offering to trim ET's nail. I refused the offer cos I know I can't always depend on another person to do the trimming all the time, if I can't do it myself, then don't do it at all and moreover ET is afraid of strangers, didn't wanna stress him out over a nail trimming session with a total stranger.

Come to think of it, if I have reason to forego trimming his hind nails, I'll forego cos I notice his hind nails are not as curvy and pointed, so don't think it will ingrow into his paw pad.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

[/QUOTE]Oh no! the basics of cat keeping is clearing the poo, IMO. If you can't trim the nails, that's understandable, but you must learn to clear the poop, clean the litter box. You must try to do it one of these days, ya? We do get sick, your fiance will too, and you will have to do it one fine day.[/QUOTE]

I can do it at a push, i gag A LOT but i can do it. but luckily he is awesome and doesnt mind it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat

I used to trim Cuddles (my 1.5 year old) when he was sleeping. I'd get most of the claws before he'd wake up and realize something was up. However, now my girlfriend and I trim nails as part of a team effort. In fact, we did both my cats last night. My girlfriend holds cuddles and puts him in a sitting position on her lap and gives him some treats. I clip his nails with a cat clipper ( I read that human clippers can cause the nail to splinter). He squirms around after the first paw, but we give him some treats and do the next front paw. It's over in less then a minute. I don't do the back legs, as they're not very sharp and cats scratch furniture mainly with the front paw. I will sometimes clip the rears after their bath when they're all discombobulated anyway

My kitten, Simba, is more difficult, as he's a squirmy wormy. He doesn't sit still for treats, but my girlfriend holds him with confidence (doesn't have to apply a lot of force, just be confident and resolute when holding him) and he stays put for the most part. I only do the front with him too, as his rear claws are usually pretty dull and both my cats hate their rear paws being manipulated. They're much more tolerant of their front paws. I remember when Cuddles was a kitten and he'd be curled up on us we'd often play with his paws and extract his claws just getting him used to the idea.

I think if I had to do it on my own it would be hard, although my girlfriend managed on her own (but it was much more difficult). The bottom line: be confident, give lots of treats, and do it with a partner if possible
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabiesDaddy View Post
The bottom line: be confident, give lots of treats, and do it with a partner if possible
Too many jokes....

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cat

I also usually clip Rico's nails when he is asleep or after I play with him. Mitsey's previous owners unfortunately had her declawed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread