S.O.S-Worried - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I hope Snowy is doing better. I have been offline for the past couple of days.

Eating is a good sign. Peeing on the floor is normal with CRF, she just doesn't feel 100% right now.

I agree with what Kathy said - try another vet if need be, but do research this more before deciding. In my case, it has not been difficult to recognize it was the end. From what you have written, I don't think I see that yet.
Tomcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeEagle View Post
Praise the Lord. Snowy ate half a bowl of mutton catfood this evening.
Really happy about this....
YEA! I know you must be overjoyed!! I will say a prayer for Snowy.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hey Guys,

As of this morning snowy ate again. What I do is open one of those tiny packets of "Sheba" catfood as seen here and I present it to her like that. She starts licking the juices and because of the good taste she is enticed to bite some nice chunks out of it. She ate half of it and am satisfied. Drinking she does on her own and i encourage her by taking the water bowl to her and putting it under her mouth. She sometimes just keeps her mouth hanging in the water and I wonder why. I have this fear that she may be having some sores in her mouth but i have to further investigate that.

I called the vet yesterday and asked whether I'm able to purchase the SUB-Q's and administer it to snowy at home by injecting it under the skin. Thanks to "Razzle" I was put onto this website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat and it gave me a wealth of information. Thanks Razzle! I owe you big time. Here in The Netherlands it's unheard of and eve though the vet considered it she said that for a cat that is 18 years she would find it not responsible to let us do that, because their are risks like the fluids getting into her lungs etc.

I saw a youtube video (thanks Razzle) on how to Administer fluids at home to a cat with cronic kindney disease...it seems fairly simple once you get the hang of it....

The vet wanted to put snowy down on Jan 7th itself and look now, Snowy has been with us for 10+ days longer, and in a normal alert state without any access pain. She ha sbeen walking around the house and in her own way interacting with us. I'm not saying that she will live for very long (who knows?) but at least she is with us longer...we have more time to really cuddle her feel more special than she already is.....
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks Tomcats and Marcia for your support. Hope you guys have a good weekend.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-The-Cat View Post
When I saw the cat, she was in unbelievably bad shape, very thin and frail. I sat in front of her bed, where she was lying, the first night I arrived, crying for a good 3-4 hours. The next day me and my sister took her to the vet. I was the last thing she ever saw.
THIS is how it should be - your face, your love, your caring.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeEagle View Post
Hey Guys,

As of this morning snowy ate again. What I do is open one of those tiny packets of "Sheba" catfood as seen here and I present it to her like that. She starts licking the juices and because of the good taste she is enticed to bite some nice chunks out of it. She ate half of it and am satisfied. Drinking she does on her own and i encourage her by taking the water bowl to her and putting it under her mouth. She sometimes just keeps her mouth hanging in the water and I wonder why. I have this fear that she may be having some sores in her mouth but i have to further investigate that.

I called the vet yesterday and asked whether I'm able to purchase the SUB-Q's and administer it to snowy at home by injecting it under the skin. Thanks to "Razzle" I was put onto this website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat and it gave me a wealth of information. Thanks Razzle! I owe you big time. Here in The Netherlands it's unheard of and eve though the vet considered it she said that for a cat that is 18 years she would find it not responsible to let us do that, because their are risks like the fluids getting into her lungs etc.

I saw a youtube video (thanks Razzle) on how to Administer fluids at home to a cat with cronic kindney disease...it seems fairly simple once you get the hang of it....

The vet wanted to put snowy down on Jan 7th itself and look now, Snowy has been with us for 10+ days longer, and in a normal alert state without any access pain. She ha sbeen walking around the house and in her own way interacting with us. I'm not saying that she will live for very long (who knows?) but at least she is with us longer...we have more time to really cuddle her feel more special than she already is.....
You are most welcome for any support I might be able to give. When Annie had kidney disease the emergency room vet told us that all we could do for her, besides euthansia then and there, was to take her home for hospice care. Our regular vet gave us the IVs and fluids to keep her hydrated, but she didn't eat so it was not long until she passed at home. THAT was the turning point when I said never again. I will euthanize now before I watch another beloved pet deteriorate before my eyes like that again. It was just too heartwrenching....not to mention hubby and I were both active duty and gone most of the day making the hospice care that much more difficult.

This is a decision you have to make. You may find comfort in keeping her with you and she may be just fine. Be sure and bring the IV fluids, should you be able to get them, up to body temperature so they are not cold going in. It is easy to do and they are given under the skin - I don't see how they can possibly get them into the lungs unless you do something horribly inept and that does not sound like you. Keep us posted. I was actually thinking about Snowy the other day and said a little prayer.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is such a heart-breaking process. Bless you both.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
You are most welcome for any support I might be able to give. When Annie had kidney disease the emergency room vet told us that all we could do for her, besides euthansia then and there, was to take her home for hospice care. Our regular vet gave us the IVs and fluids to keep her hydrated, but she didn't eat so it was not long until she passed at home. THAT was the turning point when I said never again. I will euthanize now before I watch another beloved pet deteriorate before my eyes like that again. It was just too heartwrenching....not to mention hubby and I were both active duty and gone most of the day making the hospice care that much more difficult.

This is a decision you have to make. You may find comfort in keeping her with you and she may be just fine. Be sure and bring the IV fluids, should you be able to get them, up to body temperature so they are not cold going in. It is easy to do and they are given under the skin - I don't see how they can possibly get them into the lungs unless you do something horribly inept and that does not sound like you. Keep us posted. I was actually thinking about Snowy the other day and said a little prayer.
I want to add one more side note. Annie died alone and under a bed when we went out for a couple hours. Ask yourself this: Is that what you want to happen to Snowy? I have always felt guilty about not being there for her during her final hours.

=...(
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your prayers Marcia. Thank you for that.
Bless you.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I disagree the subcutaneous saline takes days to work; it can be immediate. I had a kidney failure cat who was given 250ml of fluid under the skin, and while the vet and i stood there talking over her treatment, the cat absorbed all that fluid into her system over fifteen minutes. Even the vet was surprised how fast it was. My vet sent me home with a liter bag of saline and large bore needles and I gave her fluid twice a day. Fiona was managed well on SQ fluids and ground chicken for another six months before I had to have her euthanized when she refused to eat and just laid around. When they stop enjoying life, that is the day to let them go and it is never easy to do.

You may need to speak to your vet about stopping the blood pressure medication; that could be part of the problem and she could have too high a blood level of the medication due to dehydration and decreased blood volume. Just an idea.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement