S.O.S-Worried - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default S.O.S-Worried

Hi guys,

I'm worried and depressed due to my cat's health. My cat snowy seems to be having kidney problems. She is a lovely cat that has been with me for 18 long years and i'm very much bonded to her. About 2 months back she started excessively drinking water. Rather than drinking from the drinking bowl she would opt to drink from the shower floor, drops of water dripping from the shower cabinet or even drink water from a bucket of water that we have in the bathroom. This strange behavior made me do a google search where i found out about the possible problems ranging from kidney, liver and diabetes.

So we too Snowy to the vet for a bloodtest and the resuts showed that it was kidney problems. The results showed that the problems lay with the kidneys and that it wasn't overly bad but the computer generated results showed that she was slightly exceeding the safe zone. The vet recommended a change of diet and recommended special food from "Royal Canin" that are high in protein but don't tax the kidneys too much. Also a tablet was recommended to give once a day in combination with the food in order to keep her bloodpressure stable.

She took well to the food at first and her droppins which were at first rock hard and black turned to a more normal color and form. But last week she went downwards ....she started eating less and as a result lost much weight. The weight loss startled the vet i think and made her say that if the state persist for us to consider euthanizing her this weekend . Snowy was put on the celine drip and we are asked to call back tomorrow and inform about her state. Is she was eating that we were ased t bring her again for another celine treathment. She said to feed her any food that she likes, as long as she eats..

When I got home I opened a pack of chicken ham and fed her from my hand. I was happy to see her eat it biy by bit altough not much. Sometimes she shows the intention that she wants to eat but than withdraws

Her character is amazing.........I still see so much life in her.....and I dread the thought of her being in pain......... The vet said that she has a very strong character and that she probably has been dealing with this ailment for some time but didn't want to give in.......and that now she may be choosing to let go

I understand 18 years is old and that I can't expect her to be with me for many more years..............yet........i feel she could easily last a couple of more...................if it wasn't for this darn kidney complication.......

If there are any recommendations by anyone I highly value all of them right now.............My mam was thinking of buying celine tmrw and feeding it to Snowy. She said that she did this to a cat when she lived abroad and that the cat bounced back. I told her not to do so untill askinf the vet first..

If the problem is the kidney......let's say it's in a very bad state.............is there any way at all where it can be treated? ........Pls advice......Thank you......
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Ken. I don't know anything about kidney issues, but you'll get some good advice and suggestions from members who have experience with this.

As to when to say goodbye, it doesn't matter when, it'll still break your heart. With my girl, it was a quality of life issue. She was terminal (cancer), and when she didn't want to eat anymore, even her very favorite foods, I couldn't bring myself to force her. I would have been keeping her around for me.

Do you have any pictures of Snowy you'd like to share with us?

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thank you for your reply Marie.

Her state as per this morning (am in The Netherlands) is still the same. Lack of appetite and although she seems to want to drink, she walk up to the water bowl and turns back.

I just dont understand why it has to be like this. When I look at her I still see so much life and when I approach her she starts purring. I guess it's just that one organ that is dragging her down. I wish i knew of a remedy to fix the kidneys....

Due to her dehydration i'm trying to find out whether it is possible to give her saline orally from home. Would safe her the stress of driving her up and down to the vet...

I'll try and post of picture of her...
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Our Annie had the same thing. We never knew how old she was - adopted as an adult and with us for 12 years. She was remarkable, but towards the end she developed a kidney problem and the doctors could do nothing more for her. We took her home and made her remaining days as comfortable as possible. The doctor had us give her subcutaneous fluids after she stopped drinking. She was miserable and so were we. Oh, she purred when we were with her, but for the most part she was unable to get around much and on her last day she hid under the bed and died peacefully (I hope). Having said all this, if I had to do it over again, I would not have put her through the fluids, the pain or the indignity of her emotional and physical suffering just to keep her with us a few more days.

I'm going to echo Marie73 - it is a quality of life issue. The doctor can tell you what options you may have left and if there are no options for her to recover then the end is inevitable - since it's been going on for two months it may be soon. Marie73 is right, it's going to break your heart (much more than it is now) but you have loved Snowy and she has loved you and for every thing there is a season. I'm sorry you are going through this. I know how much it makes your heart ache.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks Marcia for your input. Can you recall for how long Annie stayed on after you put her on the fluids? I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and I know how painful it must have been. It's true that in hindsight and as time passes that the good memories prevail and the pain and agony of the loss are been diluted.....but that phase of immense heartache is a stage we unfortunately all have to go through....

I filled a bucket to the brim with water, because she seems to be going there to drink instead of the numerous water bowls we have around the house. She has the strenght to stand on her two hindlegs, lean on the bucket and drink the water.................When I see her display so much strenght and willpower I find the choice very hard to make......... But in all honesty I know that the chances of her bouncing back all slim. However, If I can prolongue her life by about 2 to 3 weeks without her drastically declinging in health or going through excessive pain........ ? Well...I don't know.......You are right about not having the cat suffer.............But what if the will is still there to live? She can still walk about. I know many will say not to wait for the stage where she can barely move.......But don't we wait with humans as well till the very end?......
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I can't recall exactly, but it was at the most two weeks she was on fluids. By that time (or soon after) she had stopped eating, so she was slowly starving to death. I will never do that to a cat again if she is not eating, that's for sure. Annie always displayed the will to live even though she did not eat or drink on her own. She purred and cuddled and used the litter box - even up to the last night before she died, and that was what made us prolong her life - it was for US not her. To answer your last question, yes we do wait with humans (I think more because of the law than compassion), but if the vet has confirmed there is nothing more you can do for her then the decision needs to be made in her best interest. Maybe not today, or even next week, but probably sooner than you are willing to admit. My gut tells me you will know when it is the right time to release her.

I know it hurts.

Last edited by Marcia; 01-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Marcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

First of all, I would try some baby food (without garlic or onion). Then I would look into some different cat food. There are a lot of suitable diet blends for a CRF cat, not all of them are Royal Canin. See if you can find something she will eat.

Once she is eating again, your options will become clearer. I would not make a decision until I had exhausted different food options.

Saline drips can take several days to have an effect. If your cat still seems strong, and not overly uncomfortable, there is little downside to giving her more time to come around.

Do you know what medication she is taking for her blood pressure? Did the vet tell you what its potential side effects are? Medications can build up in the system over time, what seems benign at first can be problematic later on. Did the vet give you her actual creatinine and BUN levels after she was first diagnosed?
Tomcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcats View Post
Saline drips can take several days to have an effect. If your cat still seems strong, and not overly uncomfortable, there is little downside to giving her more time to come around.
If the cat continues to not eat or drink water, how long would you take to make "the decision"?? I did not know saline drips take several days to have an effect.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Dear Tomcats, thanks a lot for your input.

The medication she is taking to control her blood pressure is "BENAKOR" 2,5 Mg tablets and was asked to be given 1 tablet a day.
I'll translate the prescription from dutch......it says : That the effectiveness of this medicine hasn't been established for cats that are unbder the 2,5 Kg. (I guess it's a good thing that we stopped giving her this since last week,,,,snowy weighs 2,2 Kg now)

Then it also says not to use it with dogs or cats of which it is known that they are allergic to this substance.... (well...regarding that I can't say since we never gave this to het before)......

as mentioned we haven't given this partuiculat tablet for abt th last week, ever since she started deteriorating.....I thought it best to stop it and see if she regained her appetite...................

I just got home a while back and I am happy to hear that Snowy started eating a little. A handyman came home to check on the heating system and Snowy came specially down to inspect the visitor....

Right now she is just laying in her bed in my room......she purs and reacts to my presence......

This morning was kinda sweet, I carried her and together we were watching the sun rise from the balcony. She seemed to be totally aware of her suroundings such as the birds flying of the lake and the movement of the cars in the distance.....she seemed to be totally entertained abt what was going on outside....all the while purring in my arms..

She is a brave cat and i know she doesn't fear dying.......while looking at her i can tell......The only reason she is hanging on is because of us...............I have a deep respect for her character.............She was around when my dad was alive and we share common memories of my youth.......it's hard but reality is that that is life...... Whenever i had a hard day at work or felt like my life was at witch end i'll always come home to a cat who would remind me that i was loved no matter what.....

Marcia, thanks for your advice ...I really appreciate it....and in all fairness i know what you are saying is right........I'm just going to try and wait till after the weekend.

I'll leaving in a bit with Snowy to the vet where for the second dat they will give her a saline infusion.........will keep you posted on what the vet says tonight. God bless you all for your compassion
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Tomcats....real quick before I leave......no the exact creatine level and that other particular statistic you mentioned wasn't conveyed to us but we deed she the blood test result which was computer generated...this is abt a month ago.... at that time according to the results her kidney condition was just a little over the permitter level opf error but not in a danger level......what puzzled me is how since then she has drastically deteriorated....

The vet (which were two different ones on the last 2 occasion...but working at the same practise)..........she said that it can happen like that....................but still i find the sudden drop in health strange...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement