How Often do you Sanitize the Litter Box? - Page 7 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #61 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHimmydoll View Post
I don't mean scooping, just dumping out all the litter and sanitizing. I actually got that tidbit from My Cat From H*ll too. I think what Jackson said is that you can definitely go overboard with it.
Hmm, sounds like excess either way is troublesome. Well, my cat has two litter boxes (I added the 2nd one when she had a bladder infection--long, long since cleared up w/antibiotics--and while I think 2 is a bit unnecessary for a small cat, she's used to it now), both scooped daily, so I guess I'll just keep the same routine.

ALso, I've never heard of that show, is it a tv show I'm guessing??
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #62 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmeray View Post
Also, I've never heard of that show, is it a tv show I'm guessing??
Yep, it's a show on Animal Planet. I haven't seen much of it, since I don't get Animal Planet, but you can find some clips online through YouTube and the Animal Planet website.
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #63 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Hmm, sounds like excess either way is troublesome. Well, my cat has two litter boxes (I added the 2nd one when she had a bladder infection--long, long since cleared up w/antibiotics--and while I think 2 is a bit unnecessary for a small cat, she's used to it now), both scooped daily, so I guess I'll just keep the same routine.

ALso, I've never heard of that show, is it a tv show I'm guessing??
I keep 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs for my 4 cats. They are very old so I don't want them navigating the steps at night if it can be avoided. Zipper fell down the stairs last spring and broke her breast bone. If I had not seen it happen I might not have heard it in the middle of the night and she would have laid there suffering.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #64 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I keep 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs for my 4 cats. They are very old so I don't want them navigating the steps at night if it can be avoided. Zipper fell down the stairs last spring and broke her breast bone. If I had not seen it happen I might not have heard it in the middle of the night and she would have laid there suffering.
aw, poor kitty, was she okay (after vet care naturally)?

Yeah my cat is getting older and while she doesn't seem to have trouble with stairs yet I feel better having one on each floor.

Also, do you have pet stairs? (like for getting onto beds or on higher surfaces) I've been wondering if I'll need to get any in the future, since I don't like seeing her have to jump up/down from too high for an older cat.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHimmydoll View Post
Dumping and cleaning/ sanitizing the litter box is more for the pet owner than the cat. Cats like to smell themselves (i.e. their business) in their litter box.
I disagree. No one likes the overpowering smell of old crap and urine. Not even a cat if it's his/her own.

If MowMow feels the box isn't clean enough he won't go outside it, but he will bother me constantly and hold it (much worse than him just going outside the box) until it's clean enough for his Lordship.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #66 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
aw, poor kitty, was she okay (after vet care naturally)?

Yeah my cat is getting older and while she doesn't seem to have trouble with stairs yet I feel better having one on each floor.

Also, do you have pet stairs? (like for getting onto beds or on higher surfaces) I've been wondering if I'll need to get any in the future, since I don't like seeing her have to jump up/down from too high for an older cat.
Thanks for asking about Zipper. Yes she tumbled down the stairs while I was in the kitchen. I heard this noise, turned around and saw her tumbling down about 9 of the 13 stairs. She just layed there, like she was in shock! I was in shock! - it's one of those nightmare scenes that replays in your head vividly. I rushed her to the vet and they confirmed a breast bone fracture. All they could do was give her morphine for about 3 weeks while she recuperated at home. I set her up so she would not have to move, just turn her head to eat or drink, but she still got up to use the litter box - good girl. I was supposed to keep her isolated but little Missy, her buddy, was so beside herself at the separation, I let her stay in the BR with her. She licked Zipper's head constantly. It was so sweet to see that.
Yes, I have steps to our bed because it is SO tall and Missy is SO small at 5 pounds, but Zip uses them too, and to a window perch, but not anywhere else. She doesn't even use the window perch, but our old Winnie used to and used the steps to get to it. Zipper has no problem jumping on the ottoman then walking to the couch. Anything taller than 18" is a show stopper for her. She has 24/7 access to a screened in porch (as all the cats do) and she now spends her days chasing the sun across it jus chillin'. She's living the good life.
She still has problems getting down from anything more than a foot high, but she manages....and is much more careful on the stairs, I think.

Last edited by Marcia; 01-16-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
Cat

Awe, poor zipper! I felt bad for her just thinking about how scared she was to take that tumble! I'm glad she's ok though !

I have two litter boxes for my 2 cats. The boxes get scooped twice a day, about 12 hours apart. I refill litter when it gets low and try to completely empty/clean/refill once a month.
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #68 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Be sure to rinse the bleach off the boxes REALLY well and keep them away from them while they are soaking. Bleach = bad for cats.
I have never use bleach. I always soak the box with vinegar before rinsing off, rub dry with a cloth then spray a layer of colloidal silver (natural disinfectant). Anyway, somethingelse here that we can consider? Vinegar + hydrogen peroxide Tau Topics - Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #69 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Thanks for asking about Zipper. Yes she tumbled down the stairs while I was in the kitchen. I heard this noise, turned around and saw her tumbling down about 9 of the 13 stairs. She just layed there, like she was in shock! I was in shock! - it's one of those nightmare scenes that replays in your head vividly. I rushed her to the vet and they confirmed a breast bone fracture. All they could do was give her morphine for about 3 weeks while she recuperated at home. I set her up so she would not have to move, just turn her head to eat or drink, but she still got up to use the litter box - good girl. I was supposed to keep her isolated but little Missy, her buddy, was so beside herself at the separation, I let her stay in the BR with her. She licked Zipper's head constantly. It was so sweet to see that.
Yes, I have steps to our bed because it is SO tall and Missy is SO small at 5 pounds, but Zip uses them too, and to a window perch, but not anywhere else. She doesn't even use the window perch, but our old Winnie used to and used the steps to get to it. Zipper has no problem jumping on the ottoman then walking to the couch. Anything taller than 18" is a show stopper for her. She has 24/7 access to a screened in porch (as all the cats do) and she now spends her days chasing the sun across it jus chillin'. She's living the good life.
She still has problems getting down from anything more than a foot high, but she manages....and is much more careful on the stairs, I think.
That's good she's doing better. I don't know what I'd do if my cat got hurt (well, take her to the vet of course, logistically). My cat's only barely 6lb,but I'm afraid that even if I got steps for her she wouldn't use them, and would just jump up/down the whole height anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement