Eating Habits - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Unhappy Eating Habits

We adopted a very loving Siamese mix on December 31st. She has adjusted really well to our household with one except, food. She barely eats. As first time cat parents, I'm looking for any helpful suggestions. Here's what we've done so far:

-We leave dry food out all day and change it at night (currently we have out six different options and have even placed a dish or two in some of her favorite places she hangs out in during the day). Blue, Meow Mix, Purina, Iams, Fancy Fest, Friskies.
-For wet food we will leave it out for about an hour and then put in the fridge.
-We've tried various ways of preparing the food (heating, adding water or broth or gravy, adding baby food, etc.)
-We leave the room when she starts to walk by the food.
-She is 12 pounds and the most she's eaten in a day is one of those small can of Fancy Feast. She only did that once. In her dry food bowl we put out 1/4 of a cup and she never eats even half the bowl in a day.
-We actually went back to the shelter (she was there for a month) and they gave us the dry and canned foods they were using. She has so far showed no interest in either.
-From her litterbox I can tell that she's pooping and that it's a normal consistency.
-Her behavior has remained loving. I think she's the type of cat that loves to be petted instead of normal playing because she's never interested in the different toys we've used with her. (except for a shoe string)

-We have talked the vet and he seemed stumped since she'll eat a few bites a day. We also took her back to the vet at the shelter. The vet gave her an appetite stimulant, but nothing really happened.

-Whenever we're in the kitchen or have our own food she seems very interested but if we put down a new dish of food she'll sniff and walk away.

*So we need help. If anyone else has an extremely picky eater for a cat or just likes a good challenge, please leave us your thoughts on the situation. Thanks!
erkyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Have you tried giving her a supplement like nutria cal? It provides extra calories and nutrients to cats that aren't eating enough or are ill I believe. I used it for my cat when I didn't feel like he was getting enough, he was very boney. You can mix a tiny bit ( portion size is on the tube ) into their food. You can get calorie boosters from other suppliers as well to find one she likes. I would ask your vet about this.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

If you haven't already, you should take her to the vet to make sure everything is OK with her. She might also still be adjusting to her new home and not be herself.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If she's pooping, she's eating. I think you are overwhelming her with food and choices and heating and gravy etc etc. If she eats a little out of every bowl you will never be able to tell what she eats. Start with one bowl with 1/8 cup and see what she eats. Meal feed her so she gets good and hungry between meals. Also, I would ditch everything but the Blue Buffalo, they are pretty poor quality foods.

Also recognize that she has been in your house for less than 2 weeks, she's still really settling in, sometimes it takes a while for their appetite to kick in.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I bet she is a good hunter and is sneaking the dry food. My Pippi really worried me with the same behavior. She never ate when I was watching. I woke up last week to the sound of her crunching the hard food. She eats. I bet yours does, too.
Catmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

i think the problem might that you offer her too much and too many choices. so she in really never hungry.

stop free feeding her, establish regular times for meals and if she doesn't eat her food, take it away after 30-40 minutes. in few days she will learn to eat when food is offered. also, little hunger drive will not hurt but increase chances of eating what you offer.

also, she might not like cold wet food from fridge, so add some hot water to heat it up. some cats will not eat food that is not fresh just after opening the can, so maybe try with smallest cans possible.
I would also encourage you to eliminate or at least limit dry food. wet food diet is much better for cats than dry and promote good health.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for all the advice! We've gone back down to just the Blue food and only a little bit so we can tell better and a little bit of the shelter food. We're also on day three of appetite stimulants given to us by the vet (learning how and administering cat meds has got to be one of the scariest experiences of my life!). So far she meows like crazy when we go into the kitchen and started to become very vocal. Still not touching the food though she walks by it and sniffs it. Fingers crossed that her stubbornness doesn't win out!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Update: After switching and giving appetite stimulants, Cho still didn't eat. Since it was more than two days that we were positive she didn't eat, we took her in. She is now at the vet undergoing observation and blood work.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I hope all is well with Cho. My cats are very finicky and don't eat much. However, if Cho isn't eating anything at all, then you're wise to have taken her to the vet.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Cho is still at the vet, but now has a feeding tube down her. They think she has "fatty liver" disease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement