Did you microchip your cat? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Joy is chipped, we got her done when she was spayed. Worth every penny if you ask me! She is 100% indoor and she refuses to wear her collar with ID tag, so chip is all we have.... She doesn't seem to much like the outside though and although curious about an open door, she doesnt seem to want to venture beyond.
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
My son and granddaughter just found a stray. Not understanding the difference between a stray and a feral cat, they took it to a feral rescue org because they didn't know what to do with it. You'd think he might actually call his mother the Cat Lady??? but I digress... . The feral org scanned it for a microchip and since it was already fixed they nipped it's ear. Yes, really. The feral org gave him the chip info.
My son has the microchip info so he is going to call today to see if this is someone's pet.
Update on MY microchip story: son with stray in Oregon called the microchip company and the chip is registered to someone in Utah but the chip has not been activated. I admit I'm chip ignorant and don't know what happens now. Any help???
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cat

I would post some ads to see if the original owner came forward before I decided to keep the cat.

Quote:
Update on MY microchip story: son with stray in Oregon called the microchip company and the chip is registered to someone in Utah but the chip has not been activated. I admit I'm chip ignorant and don't know what happens now. Any help???
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
I would post some ads to see if the original owner came forward before I decided to keep the cat.
Yes, he is doing that too. I also had him check Craigslist. He has not been a pet owner as an adult so he didn't think of all that - that's what catmom's are for!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My girls were also adopted from a local SPCA and they were chipped for free.

Quote:
I'm chip ignorant too. How is it possible that a chip is registered but there's no information on who registered it? I'd think that they'd at least have info on what vet or shelter registered the chip. Then your son could contact that vet/shelter and maybe they'd have some info.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
My girls were also adopted from a local SPCA and they were chipped for free.

I'm chip ignorant too. How is it possible that a chip is registered but there's no information on who registered it? I'd think that they'd at least have info on what vet or shelter registered the chip. Then your son could contact that vet/shelter and maybe they'd have some info.
apparently the microchip company told my son that the people on the chip can't be located? Not sure if that is the vet or an old owner's phone number. They told him to call back next Tuesday and if they still haven't located an owner they would register the cat in to his name. sound like the cat is a real lover. Son is falling FAST for him - I will feel bad if they locate an owner!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My last cat was microchipped, but my new one will be microchipped for sure...and, of course, any kitty adopted from the shelter will be microchipped by them.
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have not microchipped my cats. I originally did so with other cats and dogs, but I have heard too many negatives, from microchips migrating to causing tumors. I also have great reservations about such organizations with no security restrictions having that much information about me. In the interest of protecting your pets you will tell these people things you wouldn't tell half your relatives or your bankers. Ergo, it's on my head if they get lost and can't be returned due to lack of chip, but I'm still going to rely on the older methods and my own personal vigilance to keep them safe.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The chip is registered with an organization when it is given out to the vet/shelter/whathaveyou to be implanted. If the new owners do not update the information, all they can do is go back to who received the chip for implantation and hope they know whose pet they put it in.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I have been bad about getting mine chipped. My two fosters are chipped but none of my personal cats. I am going to get the kitten microchipped when he is neutered, and maybe the others. I think more and more people are having animals they find scanned. I found a dog a couple months ago and took her to be scanned and she had a chip but it wasn't activated. Fortunately the owner came to the same vet looking for the dog and the vet gave her my info.
Advertisement