when is it time to put a cat to sleep - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabiesDaddy View Post
It was unbelievable sad and disheartening, and I wasn't able to get another dog because I couldn't go through losing another dog.
That is sad. I feel so heartbroken every time I give a cat up for euthansia. It tears me up, but I have learned that the joy of saving a life far outweighs the sadness and pain of letting them go. That has helped me through the years of adopting old babies.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

Good point Marcia. If I ever foster or adopt again, I am very likely to adopt/foster an older cat so that they can at least end their lives on a good note.

I know this might sound weird, but I don't really have a moral issue with euthanization in general. What's so terrible about going to sleep and just not waking up? It sure beats living in pain or misery! My issue comes when the animals are euthanized because of humans being stupid and irresponsible and not spaying/neutering their animals. It's a complete waste of a precious life that was brought into the world because some people are just selfish and stupid. It's an unnecessary death that could've EASILY been avoided, and THAT makes me sad. But to end an animals suffering is doing them a favor!
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat

I was 19 years old when I made the decision to have my childhood pet Golden Retriever put to sleep because she was dying of chronic renal failure. Of course it was heartbreaking, and I cried tons, but I have never regretted my decision to end my dog's suffering. I did not want her to starve to death (she had stopped eating). It was never something I questioned. I knew it was the right thing to do. Before then, I never completely understood euthanasia. I understand now that in cases where the pet is suffering greatly from an incurable disease, it is an act of love.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabiesDaddy View Post
Good point Marcia. If I ever foster or adopt again, I am very likely to adopt/foster an older cat so that they can at least end their lives on a good note.
I know this might sound weird, but I don't really have a moral issue with euthanization in general. What's so terrible about going to sleep and just not waking up? It sure beats living in pain or misery! My issue comes when the animals are euthanized because of humans being stupid and irresponsible and not spaying/neutering their animals. It's a complete waste of a precious life that was brought into the world because some people are just selfish and stupid. It's an unnecessary death that could've EASILY been avoided, and THAT makes me sad. But to end an animals suffering is doing them a favor!
The older babies really suffer in cages. They can't understand why they've been thrown away and that makes it so worthwhile for me to adopt them. I totally agree with you about euthansia. I have no problem putting an animal down because it is suffering, but NOT for convenience. I don't think my vet would even allow me to do that if one was so inclined. Are you feeling more at peace about BIL?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I understand he is severely constipated, am I right?
If yes, have you tried other means than lactulose and pumpkin? There are many things out there that can help a cat dealing with constipation, from psyllium/miralax, laxatone, diet supplements. Have you tried laxatone to help him poop?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tom Cat

and one more important question: what do you feed him? If dry food, stop it. He needs water, feed him wet food, add some water to it to increase his fluid intake.

What specifically does he eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
The older babies really suffer in cages. They can't understand why they've been thrown away and that makes it so worthwhile for me to adopt them.
Wow, when you put it that way it makes It even sadder! I want to go to my local shelter tomorrow and see if I can volunteer , but I'm hesitant because I'm pretty sure their cats live in cages and it'll depress me to see them like that. It seems to deflate their spirits. my local petco has a pet adoption center and i sometimes go in there just to see the cats and their eyes just look vacant and dead. they're not meant to live in cages! Heck, my two cats live in my one bedroom and I feel guilty and inadequate that I'm not providing a multi level mansion for them to run around in! If I ever purchase a home, you can believe it'll be the home that I think would be best for my cats, outdoor catio and all

As far as my BIL, I'm still disgusted and upset about him and its actually affecting how I view the my sister and his kids too at this point. The comments from my fellow caties have helped, but I'm still not controlling my thoughts and emotions properly.

Sorry if it seems like I hijacked the thread a little!
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks everyone!! Rocky is eating purina indoor dry foodbut I feed him canned pate cat food every couple hours. I just dont think he drinks enough water thats why the vet had to give him an iv. Lactulose helped for the first week and then back to pooping everywhere. Its not a full poop just a nugget of constipation. Started canned pumpkin and it worked fine for a few weeks and now back to the same problem. This morn caught him passing a chunk in the bedroom brought him to the tile and he vomitted.
I dont know if I would be ending his life way ahead of time by putting him to sleep I guess if I knew he was in pain that would make a decision much easier but I dont know if hes in pain. I know he doesnt enjoy throwing up and passing constipated poop. I really dont think he could make it thru extensive treatment hes almost 16 yrs old and we couldnt afford it for just a few more yrs of possibly the same problems. Need more advice!!!
debbie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie124 View Post
Need more advice!!!
stop feeding him dry food, please. immediately. he needs water and dry food doesnt supply that. at all. dry food makes his constipation worse.
give him wet food, even the cheapest friskies of fancy feast - cats really like it. add some extra water to his food - he needs water.

go to nearest pet store or vet clinic and get a tube of laxatone for cats. there will be instructions how to dose it on the tube, laxatone is theoretically for hairballs but help pass poop in case of constipation.
to ensure he eats it, just smear it on his leg from paw to elbow he will lick it off to clean himself. or maybe he will just like it (tomlyn brand makes laxatone in tuna and catnip flavor).

also, consider giving him miralax or pure psyllium mixed in to his food.

first you need to break the cycle with constipation. he might be pooping outside of the box because it hurts when he poops (b/c of hard poop) so he associates litter box with pain. when constipation is gone, he might be much better at pooping to the box.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cat

I agree with anie, feed can food. Also I would start giving Pepcid AC (must be AC - active ingredient famotadine) Ideally given 20-30 minutes before feeding, the dose is 1/4 tablet twice a day (BID). This will help with the vomiting. Get your self a pill cutter, because the pills are real small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement