chicken bones on cooked chicken? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default chicken bones on cooked chicken?

I was wondering if catc can eat whole mice and birds and who know what else, can I give them cookked chicken on the bones? Or grind it all up in a vita mix? This would just be occasionaly. (I know it sounds like a stupid question to me too but....)
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Never feed cooked bones. They will splinter and can cause internal damage. You can feed raw bones, but I think there are limits to how big the bones can be. Maybe the raw feeders on this forum can provide more guidance on that.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Raw feeder here. Never, ever feed your cat cooked bones. Ever. Cooked bones splinter into hard shards that can cause internal damage. I think grinding cooked bones would be even worse - like sand paper going through their body. Don't do it.

You're absolutely right that cats can eat chicken bones, but they have to be raw. The ribs and sometimes the first two joints of the wings (the wing tip and flat part with two bones - the wingette) are recommended from a regular sized chicken. Some people have success feeding their cat the necks and backs from regular sized chickens, but those are way too big for my cats

My cats can also handle most of the bones from a cornish chicken, and all of the bones from a quail. Some people who don't feed raw still give their cats the occasional chicken wing or quail half to promote dental health. Of course if you grind the bones (you can give your cat ground raw bones) you lose that benefit.

I should add that cooked or raw boneless chicken is fine. If you just want to give your cat some left over chicken make sure it has no seasonings and remove the cooked bones before giving it to your cat.
catinthemirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement