Siamese - help with gingio-stomatitis please! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Siamese - help with gingio-stomatitis please!

Hi - I have a nearly 2 year old flame point "traditional" siamese. I have shed more tears over this tiny guy than I can tell you, and most people who know me can't imagine me crying over ANYTHING! I could go on and on, but what I really need is help/support/experiences with treating for stomatitis. Bebop has had the diagnosis for over a year, though has probably had it for most of his life. It has taken me a while to push the vet beyond just using a water additive (Healthy Mouth); out of desperation I also used the gel form as well; more recently I got another vet and am also using prednisone (dose is self determined by how sore his mouth looks), a once a day chlorhexidrine gel and pain medication as needed. I am having difficulty determining doses because, in spite of his name and breed, Bebop is the quietest, most indifferent "bystander" of a cat I have ever known, rarely acknowledges us and outside of a look at whether his gums are better or worse, I have very few clues about whether he feels any better or worse. (I wish to point out that my tears are for Bebop's suffering and his teeth which may have to be extracted, and NOT for my bank account, which has and will continue to take a beating over this.) Please someone, give me some ideas to go on! I've been giving my best, but it's not enough!!!
008cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

My cat had a full mouth extraction, minus the 2 upper canines, and that made a huge difference for him. He was having a hard time eating canned food ( even soupy), bad breath, drooling, could hardly yawn... he had periodontitis. In about a week from surgery, he was a new cat! Recovery was fast and simple. He perfectly fine without teeth.
Kind of funny that the odd time when he plays and he takes a "nip" at you, well he "gums" you! If you do go this route, make sure your cat is strictly indoors.

Does he have a hrad time eating? How does his breath smell? Drooling? etc.
stephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

what are Bepop's symptoms? does he eat ok? does he drool? how is his breath? do you see blood on food when he eats? does he groom, yawn no problem?

stomatitis is a pain (my Blackberry has a mild case of caudal stomatitis..) but there are things that can help at least for pain. My cat always ate, groomed and looked ok, but his breath was bad and he would drool. he got shot of Depomedrol a week ago and his breath is better, he also does not drool anymore. but steroids are meds that have rather short term effect.

if Bepop is suffering and his mouth is really sore I would consult with few vets and maybe go for full mouth teeth extraction. apparently it brings tremendous relief in many cats with stomatitis and they do great without teeth.

also, definitely have a look here, it's feline stomatitis group:
Feline-Stomatitis : Feline Stomatitis

you can join them, there is a lot info over there from people who deal with their cats' stomatitis.

there is also some new treatment offered by clinic in Dallas, TX that is supposed to work wonders in many cats. you will get info about it upon joining the group. maybe it is worth to try? you do not need to go to Dallas. that clinic can send you the syrup - you will find all the info when joining the above group.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Thank you...

I can't get into much right now - I will respond in more detail about Bebop later - but I wanted to thank you asap for the information you gave. I had run across the Dallas clinic on the internet and plan to revisit and try them out. Thanks for the support group link, I will definitely be checking that out too. I am feeling so exhausted, having tried so hard for my special guy and not had much luck to date. But I am sure some new ideas will give me something to hope for. Thank you both very much.
008cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

MY CAT HAS THIS TOO!!!

Going for full teeth extraction on Thrus after having 3 flare ups in 5 months...she is 9.5 years old...

Im sooo unnerved
marie5890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement