Nature's Variety Instinct and I and love and you - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Nature's Variety Instinct and I and love and you

Wow, I think I've found a winner with Nature's Variety Instinct. Does anyone else feed this?

Since Celia liked the flavor of rabbit but didn't care for the texture of the Hound & Gatos, I decided to try this brand because it's a pate. Margaux wouldn't go near the H&G rabbit, so I didn't offer her any tonight when I fed Celia. Celia left some on the plate, all of the liquid licked off. Margaux, who will only eat when the food is absolutely smooth and smushy, wandered in and inhaled what was left, even though it was pretty dry.

I just got on chewy.com and saw that several reviews mentioned that it was good for their kitties with digestion issues. I'll see how my girls do with it. But holy moly rabbit is expensive!! $31 for 12 5.5 oz. cans.

I also bought a couple of cans of a brand called I and love and you, from the Only Natural Pet Store. I'd never heard of it before and haven't tried it yet. Does anyone have any experience with it?
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My cat likes Instinct too. Though lately she's gotten a little more picky about it. I've learned not to get too excited about her liking a brand, because she may get tired of it in 6 months.

Wellness seems to be holding up well, though.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

FYI...Instinct Canned and Raw Rabbit is sourced from China.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Nature's Instinct are the ones with some sort of clay as a top ingredient in their food. I read a topic about it on another forum, I was left with a mixed impression and figured if I ever fed it (likely wouldn't at its price due to the somewhat controversial clay) it would have to be more like a once a week food in rotation with other brands.

I've never heard of the other one.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 01-16-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
They also source rabbit from France. I think they were having problems with one of their suppliers recently, because it's been hard to find the canned rabbit.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They do source rabbit from France as well, but the canned and raw come from China. And yes, they've been having a supply problem for a very long time.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've always been eyeing at Nature Variety's canned food, but the price of S$5.40 for 5.5oz puts me off. Wellness Core is only at S$3.30, that's a difference of S$2.10 per can, but I had been toying the idea of giving him twice a month. Wow! to pay S$5.40 for something from China, thank goodness I haven't bought any. I always assumed something more expensive should be safe.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
They do source rabbit from France as well, but the canned and raw come from China. And yes, they've been having a supply problem for a very long time.
Ahhh!! Glad I didn't go ahead and order a case. Thanks for the information. It's really disappointing to find that out though, after reading their nice "about us" on their website. How do I find out where a company's food is sourced from?

I tried the I and love (actually it's a heart, not the word love) and you "oh my cod" flavor. The cats weren't impressed.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Thats why it is so expensive.... it's over $3 a 5.5 ounce can in canada.... my area is infested with rabits... why are they using rabits from China? Luckily my girls arn't a fan of this flavour so won't be getting it anymore anyways.

The do however like most of the other instincts flavours.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In this case it's on their website in the FAQ. Some companies will declare it on their site, others don't. You can call them and ask. Just beware that some will play the semantics game...for example their vitamin premix comes from a US supplier, so they can say something like "we source all of our ingredients from the US". What they don't tell you is that the premix supplier sources their ingredients from China.

Susan Thixton has a website called Petsumer Report where she lists ingredient sources (and a lot of other info) for many foods. It's a pay site, I think $17 a year (or maybe 2 years). There's some brands missing and I hate her rating system, but overall I find it valuable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement