Cat Forum banner

Hello all, got one with blood in his stool.

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  WeAreNotAlone 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Have 5 cats, (All rescues)

Not much to say beyond I get the job of scooping the potty, wife gets to be the hero on the feeding end. Lots of work- but worth the effort. Love them all. We don't have kids- so they are more than "pets" to us.

Lost our beloved Tiger_Taz @ 8yrs old to the wet type of FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis) about 2.5yrs ago. At age (1) she developed a fever, vet informed us she had FIV, Feline type of AIDS, so her immune system was compromised. Vet advising us to put her to sleep at age (1). Had 8yrs of Joy, Love. She was my little girl.

Still get torn up going into the kitchen late at night, and alot of times when driving and I take in a sunrise, or sunset. I hope none of you ever find out what FIP is, it's terrible knowing that there's nothing that can be done to save them.

Current situation is 3 of the five were around when Tiger_Taz was around, so I'm sort of paranoid about FIP.

2 new ones rescued from the Wal-Mart parking lot right around a year ago now. Twins a boy (Rocky) and girl (Kailei)

Why am I here?
Will be starting a thread, but short story is treated all the cats for worms with "TradeWinds" Praziquantel 23mg tablet 2012-09 because Kailei had white rice like segments around her anus, did not do the follow up treatment -

2013-01-07 +/- Last week Kailie = worms back.
Treated the cats again.

2013-01-14 Wife noticed Rocky wasn't eating, instead of playing in the am wanting to lay in her lap.
2013-01-16 About 5hrs after getting back from Vet Rocky having soft stool- with light red blood in it... Which highly concerns me as Tiger_Taz had a similar stool - before she left us. (died) Her dying in my arms.

Got to run,

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you treated for tapes since the first treatment? They attach to the lining of the intestine so it would be correct that you may see bloody stool. Your kitty is probably getting re infested as they go in the litter box, get some segments on their feet, lick paws, boom, you have tapes again. Also, if you are not separating the others from the litter box all of your cats may have it as well. I would get them all treated and completely clean and disinfect all boxes before letting them back in it. If they are crawling out of her anus, she has a high worm load. They may also be in bedding and carpet. Good luck!

#3 ·
I agree that he very likely is still infested with worms, causing the blood and needs another treatment. But...I have never seen any information that indicates that cats can be reinfested by ingesting the segments themselves. An intermediate host, a flea or rodent, is a necessary part of the lifecycle.

So I suggest treating again and ensure that he doesn't have any fleas (I'm assuming he's an indoor cat and doesn't have access to rodents).

#4 ·
Mods, feel free to move to correct section of board. Posting here due to posting via a tablet with no copy and paste function. Got Rocky in bed with me monitoring him so can't use primary PC.

Time is precious as Friday will be here in few hrs.

Rocky
Feline
Male
Fixed approx 7? months ago, by low cost state of the art spay and neuter clinc Vet #2 associated with.
Absenin / tabby mix
9.8 lbs
Active till 2013-01-14
Calm, cool cat.
No changes in household, nor stress.

Current sitution is I need some advice ASAP. Torn betwen current vet in which prices are high and their equipment seems problematic, some lack of attention to details over the years that states they rather not do surgey (Price of surgey unkown, but I'd estimate 300-400 or more), and a vet who seems to have a can do attuide after showed him the Xrays, him stating on a boy it's no big deal to resection segment of lower bowel which appears to be collapsed.)

As I mentioned rice like whiteish wormz segments in Kailies stools 2012-09, trested ALL cats with 23mg Praziqual tablets, except my 17 lb boy J.T who got 1.5 tablets.

Screwed up, and forgot the follow up treatment @ 3 weeks?

2013-01-07 +/- Kailie exihbiting worms again, so her and Rocky treated with (1) 23mg Praziqual (spelling not correct as I'm posting this from a tablet with no copy and paste in the browser.)

So worms have been present recently in his twin sister. Net research indicating on cats below a year, its not uncommon to have a section of the lower bowel collapse unpon themselves, and that a parisite (worms) increases chances of such occuring.

Added Barium to Xray. first xray was nice and clear showing Barium just exiting stomach, 3 inches out.

2nd Xray taken while DuoView digital xray rep was trying to sell vet a $30,000 a machine.
Vet stating her mchine was working perfect prior to his sales visit (Vet is using film).

Xrays clear prior, (banding on top and bottom "clear", good contrast and clarity.
Xrays post sales rep= Very dark, murky.

Q: What does murky Barium Xray show?
(Side view)

About 4 inches from pivot of rear legs, large intestion has section that appears to be 3/8 wide, maybe 3 inches long. Rest looks to be 1 inch in diameter.

Good news is Rocky has eaten wet food several times, about 15 treats without throwing up, nor has had a bowel movement since getting back from vet around 3:30 or so.

Vet #2 who is behind a low cost spay neuter place, thinks most likey problem will reslove by itself, but I think I forgot to mention worms of 2012-09 and 2013-01-07 his sister was exhibiting.
(Did mention that Rocky when we take all the cats out will chew sticks, bushes, acorns)

BTW: I try to be very proactive in policing the house of toothpicks, dental floss, etc.
(I tie the dental floss into a 1.5 inch long section. or as small as I can get it, knotting it upon itself to reduce the lenght, just in case one of the cats, or heck a straving animal at the dump might get ahold of it.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.