Litterbox Number - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have five boxes for five cats, all of which get frequent use. I'm sure I could remove one without any problems, but, as Marcia mentioned, five cats require that you scoop at least twice a day as it is, so I'm sticking with one per cat. I have noticed that my group do seem to have a consistent tendency to poop in one box and pee in another, but with five boxes there seem to be enough options that an extra isn't required. Also, all of my cats get along reasonably well, so they are ok with sharing.
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I do 1-1 to be on the safe side, so I have 3 with 3 cats, but could probably get away with just 2 litter boxes. I would rather avoid a problem, than have to correct it. The 1-1 +1 just doesn't work for my space.

Last edited by kaikoura; 01-17-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: misspelled
kaikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tom Cat

we have 2 cats and used to have 3, but one stopped getting used so now we have 2. as others have mentioned, you can probably get away with one, but that is if you are diligent and willing to scoop multiple times a day.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

I have two cats with 2 huge boxes. My cats love to dig, and so they'll often go into one, dig for a minute, then walk into the other (they're side by side) and do their business there. Also, I find that they like to use the boxes together, so often they'll eqch go into a box and dig for a while, then do their thing I clean the boxes twice/day. When I do once a day there is often a LOT of clumps in there, so twice is pretty mandatory.
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have three cats and one litter box.

I just heard some members faint.....

I had two, but even though they were both cleaned 3+ times a day, and they would use one on one day and the other on other days. I HATED where the second one was, so I finally just did away with it.

They pee in it, but my sweet girls only poop rainbows, so it's okay.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I have three cats and one litter box.

I just heard some members faint.....

I had two, but even though they were both cleaned 3+ times a day, and they would use one on one day and the other on other days. I HATED where the second one was, so I finally just did away with it.

They pee in it, but my sweet girls only poop rainbows, so it's okay.
I wish my kits pooped rainbows, that would make life so much easier.

My boyfriend's mom had 5 cats and one litter box. It was a huge litter box made out of a tote and all of the cats got along really well. It was cleaned about 4 times a day. Now she has three (three cats moved with my boyfriend's sister and my boyfriend's mom got another cat) and they are still all working just fine with the one box.

I, on the other hand, have two cats and two boxes. One in the dining area (no one eats there) and the other in the bathroom. They both seem to use both of them, but I had to get a second one because someone was peeing and pooping out of the box. Everyone seems much happier and I only scoop once a day (Usually before bed).
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I used to have 4 boxes for my 2 girls...don't ask how I ended up with that many...but one of them was rarely used, so I dropped down to 3. I like only having to scoop once a day, since I'm often at work for long hours, so 3 seems to work for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
MowMow likes to poo in one and pee in the other so no sense in upsetting his delicate sensibilities.
Weird, that's how my cat is also. When my family had 2 cats we had only 1 litter box (yet now we have 1 cat, and 2 boxes..odd logic there..), and there were never any issues.
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

I would say to always err on the side of more boxes, rather than less. You can always take one away later if they aren't using it. I second the 1 box more than number of cats rule. A great rule of thumb. Its easier to have another box or two, than it is to try to correct an improper pottying behavior. I always recommend not putting the boxes all in the same room also. If one cat is guarding a box, they will be able to guard them all, and defeat the purpose. And oftentimes, us humans don't see that kind of behavior, but it happens.
Graco2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone!
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement