Skinny Limbs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Skinny Limbs

ET's four limbs are especially skinny, does it mean kitties with skinny limbs are more prone to fracture? or are more unhealthy (he is FIV+)? I have seen other kitties and looked at pictures of other kitties too, none have skinny limbs like ET's. His body is huge, but his limbs are skinny, not quite proportionate actually. I always get a bit worried when he does the somersaulting and flipping when playing Da-bird, so I try to let him play Da-bird rolling on the floor which he likes too.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Last edited by marie73; 01-17-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: limbs, not limps
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I don't really know, but depending on is age, he may still have growing to do. I once knew a cat, belonged to a neighbor, who's head seemed too small for his body. His name was Hooligan, but we called him Pinhead, that is until he finished growing. Eventually his head grew into proportion with his body.

That being said, my Lickorish has slender limbs and dainty paws (until she unsheaths her claws, that is), while Squeek's limbs are stocky. It may be just a genetic thing, like some people are tall and slender while others are stocky. Neither one of mine is a jumping, somersaulting, climbing kitty, but they do jump up and down from my desk and the bed with no problems. If you're really concerned, you could ask a vet. There could be issues with nutrition and bone density, but I'm not an expert by any means.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

maybe it's just his genetics?

if he is healthy and his bones are alright I would not worried about possible fractures, unless he becomes obese. if his bones had lower density then they would be prone to fractures. for sure there are tests for people to measure bone density, so maybe they have something like that for animals... dont know.. and don't know if you would like to do it

and maybe even simple X-ray would show if bones have low density, i think it could. did you ever ask your vet about his limbs?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is opinion not fact but I would think it's just a personal feature. Density is more important than thickness.

Cats, like people, vary. I have two neutered males who are similar in age. They are both quite tall and long and neither of them appears even marginally fat. The difference in their weight, however, is considerable and I put it down to the fact that the one is broader (across the shoulders, etc.) and appears to have more "bone" as it would be described around here if you were talking about horses!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Do you have a picture of him standing or anything? I can't really say I've seen a cat with small legs, so it'd be something that would concern me until being checked over by a vet. Has ET been to a vet? If he has, did they not mention it? If his legs are really small I would think it would come up in conversation...

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi, thanks for input. Vet did a thorough check of him on Jan 2012 when he went for his 1st vaccination and cleared him. I already knew ET's limps were skinny but thought that was cos he was overall skinny, but as he put on weight, it all goes to his body, never his limps, so it makes him look abit disproportionate on the whole. I looked at other kitties, all had huge limps and all looked proportionate, then started looking at pictures, haven't found anyone with that skinny limp. Ok, next time if ever I get the chance, I'll go ask if there is such thing as a bone density check for cat.

Here is a pict of him sitting. His front and back limps look the same, all four skinny.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by snowy; 01-18-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sorry, forgot to add, ET is 3+yo, so is past growing stage. Maybe I haven't seen them all, and Carmel, you've seen so many kitties at the shelter, anyone like this? with skinny limps?

Last edited by snowy; 01-18-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I don't have a pict of him standing. This video is probably clearer, you can see all four limps.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Skinny Limbs

I think he looks fine. My girl has an athletic build with skinny legs too. I don't think cats put fat on their legs much when they gain weight. Just my observation. Here's Yuki, you can see her legs aren't bigSkinny Limbs-imageuploadedbypg-free1358553395.214072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yeah, he is just leggy with an athletic build. ET is fine. Don't worry about him breaking a leg just because they look skinny. My Siamese, Tut, had the longest, skinniest legs I have ever seen; he also had a long thin whippy tail. Tut remained skinny in the body his entire life, but that is normal for a Siamese type and I could always feel his ribs beneath his coat and muscles. Some cats just have a different build than others and your guy is leggy and athletic.

He looks to be in great health. Congrats.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement