How often should I be feeding my 10 month old kitty? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default How often should I be feeding my 10 month old kitty?

My 10 month old kitty seems to be a hungry little girl and stands at the pantry for her food 3 times a day. Should I be feeding her that extra 3rd meal?

Also, should she be on kitten food still?

I forgot what it is like to have to have a young kitty.

My old man only eats 2 times a day as well as my dog.

Thanks.

Shannon

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cats eat three meals a day. One is six years old and the other is seven, but they're still very playful and they burn off a lot of energy. I feed them breakfast, an early supper, and a snack before I go to bed.

I think the best way to figure out how many times a day to feed your cat is to follow the cat's lead. If she's hungry three times a day and she's not becoming overweight, I think that's her signal for what you need to do for her. Different cats have very different metabolisms, so every owner probably does it differently and no one is wrong.

I can't remember when I stopped using kitten food; it's been a long time since I had a kitten.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

What are you feeding/amounts how much does she weigh? I have been feeding my kitten 3 meals a day since I got him. He has gone down to 2 meals/ day when he was 10 months though. He doesn't beg for food. Even when he was getting 3 meals a day, if he didn't get his mid day meal, it didn't bother him.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default How often should I be feeding my 10 month old kitty?

I am feeding her about 3/4 of a cup of food for each meal. She does eat her food pretty fast. My older cat eats like a bird. Lol He usually has breakfast leftover and eats that for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
What are you feeding/amounts how much does she weigh? I have been feeding my kitten 3 meals a day since I got him. He has gone down to 2 meals/ day when he was 10 months though. He doesn't beg for food. Even when he was getting 3 meals a day, if he didn't get his mid day meal, it didn't bother him.
When I was working I could not feed 3x a day. I would put out more than enough food for breakfast and they would eat their fill then graze the rest of the day on what little was left over. Night time got a regular meal (3oz can each) and they would eat that - if not they didn't eat until the next AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Joy is 10 months as well...
she gets 1.5oz of canned and about 1tbs of kibble in the morning and again at night and she seems to be satisfied with that. Sometimes she seems to want more but it doesn't happen often. She is 9lbs currently
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Default Feeding

My two kitties are about 10 mos. old and I feed them about 4 oz. of wet food each, split into two meals. They also get some dry kitten food, probably about 1/4 cup split up into two times. Once before I leave for work, right after their wet meal and the other before I go to bed. I'm just kind of winging it too, because it's been ages since I've had kitties. Hope I'm doing ok. I was told cats are considered "kittens" until 1 year old.
rayrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wow, 1.5 cups of kibble a day and wanting more seems like a whole lot of food, even for a growing kitten. What brand are you feeding? If it's a mid or low end food, she may not be getting the nutrition she needs and is consuming a ton to make up for it.

I feed 3 meals a day, that's fine as long as weight is controlled. Last night I got home late and they didn't eat dinner until almost 9. So I decided to skip the before bed snack...regretted that decision around 5:30am...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My girls get three meals, 7:45 a.m., 6:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Wow, 1.5 cups of kibble a day and wanting more seems like a whole lot of food, even for a growing kitten.
Yeah, that sounds like a lot to me too. Is that in line with the feeding directions on the food? Obviously the feeding directions aren't universal (usually at my house Maisie needs a little bit more food than they recommend and Zephyr needs a little bit less) but they give a pretty good guideline.

I would worry that the food you've chosen doesn't have the nutritional content she needs, or that her body isn't processing nutrients correctly, if she eats that much and doesn't seem satisfied.

Does she stop eating when she's full, or will she eat whatever you put in her dish at mealtime?

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement