Long travel moving trip help? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Long travel moving trip help?

Exactly a week from now my husband and I will be starting the 21 hour drive to California. We plan on stopping at a hotel once. We want to drive at least 10 hours the first day. I plan on letting the cats roam the back seat of my car with one litter box and some toys. I'm going to make a barrier so they can't get in the front seat and distract me. I don't wanna lock them in their carrier obviously because its gonna be such a long drive. I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for long travel? I have some Richards Organics pet calm liquid that I will probably use when we first leave and probably use the second day first. Other than that I don't know what I can do to make them more comfortable?? I would like to set water out somewhere but I don't know how I'm gonna do that without spilling. I'm going to feed strictly canned to help them stay hydrated. Other than that does anyone have anything I could add to help them along?? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Are you driving alone? I have a friend who made the trip from Indiana to Cali with her brother. I can get see how she did it. I think she had help from her brother.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My dad and I traveled by car from Northern Canada to the United States with my cats when I moved, one overnight on a ferry plus three full days of driving.

I did keep my cats in carriers for safety, and they were fine. They mostly slept in the car, and made up for it in the motel rooms.

The first day I tried to offer them food at lunch time, but they didn't want it, so after that I would just give them their water bowls whenever we stopped for food or gas and then dump the excess water when we set off again. I also gave them some water on my fingers from time to time during the trip (this only works when another person is driving.)

Each night I would set up the litterbox first thing when we got to the motels, but they seemed to be fine holding it during the day while we were driving, and I had no accidents - I think they were too nervous to want to go.

On the vet's recommendation I did not use any tranquilizers or sedatives. There was a little fussing from time to time but not as much as I would have expected.

They had completely bounced back within a day or two of arrival. Really, I think most cats would be okay in the car. They'll hate it at the time, but they'll get over it. Mine did.

Best of luck with your trip!

The Boys: Maisie (age 8, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 2, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

By the way, I forgot to mention - if there's anything else you want to know about how I did things that I didn't bring up, feel free to ask! It's not like I'm an expert or anything, but I did do this recently and my cats still speak to me.

I know traveling long distances with cats can be daunting to think about, but I didn't find it anywhere near as difficult as I expected to be.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Actually, I would put them in carriers. Cats tend to seek enclosed spaces and hide when they are stressed. A carrier is exactly the kind of hiding space they desire. In addition, if you were to get in an accident and the doors or windows were compromised they could get loose. Or when you open the door to get them out one could slip by you.

I used to go back and forth to NJ with one of my cats pretty regularly. She never had any interest in food, water or litterbox while we were traveling. When we got there she would go right to the space where her litterbox was the last time and meow at me until I had it set up. Then she'd look for her food dish. Once they were both in place she would eat, then pee.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Exactly a week from now my husband and I will be starting the 21 hour drive to California. We plan on stopping at a hotel once. We want to drive at least 10 hours the first day. I plan on letting the cats roam the back seat of my car with one litter box and some toys. I'm going to make a barrier so they can't get in the front seat and distract me. I don't wanna lock them in their carrier obviously because its gonna be such a long drive. I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for long travel? I have some Richards Organics pet calm liquid that I will probably use when we first leave and probably use the second day first. Other than that I don't know what I can do to make them more comfortable?? I would like to set water out somewhere but I don't know how I'm gonna do that without spilling. I'm going to feed strictly canned to help them stay hydrated. Other than that does anyone have anything I could add to help them along?? Thank you!

Calms Forte for them and ear plugs for you! Have a good trip - I don't envy you. My SIL drove from Virginia Beach to Phoenix with two cats. The first day they cried ALL day - drove them nuts. After that it was the new normal. They stayed crated during the drive, then were smuggled into hotel rooms and allowed to out at night.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

By the way, Zilla, you may have already done this, but I recommend making the hotel reservations in advance. A lot of places are pet-friendly these days, but it's easier to make sure that you're staying in one of those places if you plan ahead.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

When I travelled with my cats, I didn't smuggle my cats into the hotel room. I informed the hotel ahead of time and I think there was a small fee tacked on of ten dollars or something.
My experience travelling with my two cats was one of my cats cried the whole time the first day, so I experimented and put her in the same crate as her brother and she was much quieter the second day. I don't know if she was just tired of crying and resigned herself to the situation or if she preferred the company of her brother.
I would give them a small breakfast the day of travelling and then they would feast when we got to the hotel room at the end of the day, they wouldn't eat right away or use their litter box, until after they had cased out the hotel room.
Oh and my cats were very active at nights during these stays. I got run over all night as they ran all over the hotel room. It wasn't exactly restful for the humans, but if they had to suffer a little, so did we.
goombella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I know my friend didn't crate Sir Vincent La Triangle Bear (yes that is his full name and it suits him) for the whole trip. I don't know if she did at all. But he is a very good kitty, warm natured and quiet. Her brother was living in CA at the time and flew back to Indiana to help her drive out to CA.

Triangle sat in the passenger's lap and she said he did a great job. I am assuming it will be much harder with two cats and one person driving. I am still not sure if your husband will be in the same car as you.

When I moved out here I didn't have a cat, but I did drive alone the 2,000+ miles. It is a horrible trip. At least you aren't having to go that far!

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Long travel moving trip help?

Wow thanks for all the replies! You think I should crate them?? I only have one crate because separated they cry. It's one of the larger dog crates up to 25 pounds size.... I wasn't planning on crating them because Godzilla is normally really good in the car. He likes looking out the window like a dog and doesn't really cry. Mostly lies down on the seat and sleeps. Skeeter I think will do fine as long as he's with Godzilla. Maybe I could leave the crate open sometimes just to let them get out and move a little? Hopefully ten hours isn't too long for a stretch? And unfortunately no my husband isn't going to be in the car with me. The moving semi can't take a car so we have to drive BOTH of ours which is going to suck horribly but I guess just more room to bring more of our personal stuff since the movers arnt going to be there for a week or more....

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement