more wet food brands - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The girls eat Innova for cats and kittens. I am almost finished with the bulk cans I bought, so I am switching them to grain free.

I was feeding them Taste of the Wild dry and Innova wet twice a day, but my roommate was tasked with buying the food this time and he got innova dry, which is not grain free and the cats do not seem to like it as much as Taste of the Wild as they haven't eaten very much.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
What is the advantage of buying this over buying the human chicken in a can? I brought some from the grocery store thinking it might be a nice treat. It was ok, not overwhelmingly enjoyed, but ok. I don't think they liked the texture. Just curious about the chicken cattitorie and Chicken of the Sea chicken in cans we might eat.
Quote:
Earthborn Holistic Chicken Catcciatori:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potato Starch, Sunflower Oil, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide.
Quote:
Swanson Premium Chunk Chicken Breast:
Cooked Chicken Breast Meat, Water, Contains less than 2% of the Following: Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sodium Phosphates.
As you can see, there's a big difference. The cat food has minerals and vitamins added that a cat needs. A mineral/vitamin deficiency can result in a very sick or even dead cat. The canned chicken chunks doesn't have any of this and it has added salt which isn't exactly ideal.

For what it's worth, I did feed low sodium canned chicken chunks to one of my chihuahuas for nearly 6 weeks. I added a lot of Nutrical to it to attempt to provide the necessary nutrients. She refused to eat any dog food at all when I first got her. I'm pretty sure that the people that had her didn't feed her dog food. With some persistence, I did get her to eat kibble by slowly adding it to the chicken. She now happily eats Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural without issue.