Confused about grain free cat food - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My vets have never suggested food to me. When I asked when I got my first cat, they said...whatever he will eat. I decided not to ask anymore. Also, I had a customer come in that said his dog had a wheat allergy diagnosed at the vet and when he asked what to feed it they said, Science Diet :/
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Me and I'm sure others on here will say it is not advisable to listen to your vet when it comes to what you should be feeding your cat... Your vet did not get a degree in nutrition he got it in medicine... .
To a point, you are correct. However, there are vets out there who aren't under Purina's heavy thumb.

One of my vets best attributes as pointed out in her profile description: "Dr. Koble's feline-related interests include nutrition, geriatrics and holistic medicine."

This vet actually recommends raw, and nothing less than grain free food. She's a "cat only" vet.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Confused about grain free cat food

As far as my diabetic cat goes, I have to be really careful when choosing his food because it needs to work for his bladder issues as well. He had the surgery 12 years ago to keep his bladder from getting blocked since it got blocked 3 times. That was when his skin allergy problems happened which led to 12 years of depo (steroid) shots which led to his diabetes. He hates the atopic medicine (for his skin allergy). He is a mess and doesn't feel good right now because he is itching so bad. His neck was really bloody as well as his legs. I am really tired of going to the vet & calling the vet all of the time.

EVO is looking really good to me. At this point, I am willing to try anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Switching to grain free might just cure him on it's own.

Stay away from fish.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I just found out Acana Wild Prairie has 25% carb and TOTW 27% carb. No wonder, ET puts on weight that easily even when not on 100% kibbles. So far, found only Evo kibbles with the lowest % of carb.
snowy, keep in mind that EVO kibbles are low carb, but they are very calorie dense. so if you want ET not to gain weight, you might want to look for something else..
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Anything wet food is going to be good for your cats bladder problem. Kibble or prescription kibble is the worse thing you could feed them for that. Stop going to the vet and give EVO canned a shot. Even if and when you do go back. If he tries to tell you to feed a prescription diet blah blah blah just smile and nod. And if he prods anymore just say no I am trying something else and it seems to be working.... And if he wants to know why tell him to go to feline-nutrition.org.... End of story.

And I realize not all vets are clueless. A majority of them are. Unless your vet promotes raw/high quality canned then I defiantly would not listen to them ever. Thank god I'm moving to California and found an all cat vet who promotes raw feeding. No more incompetent vets for me!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yeah they all seem to promote Purina, Royal Canin, Hills etc.

I think that I will just do my own thing. I called the company that makes EVO & they are going to send me coupons for the cat food & dog food

Their canned cat good is a pâté style. Do you think that would work for the bladder issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tom Cat

i only feed canned, so i will speak for that. as a previous poster mentioned, we usually go with grain free that our cats will consistently eat and also feed fish sparingly. another thing we try to look for is to find foods where the protein is at least 8%, because some grain free foods may be high in carbs, and the lower the protein percentage, the greater the chance that it may be higher in carbs than we'd like.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Grain free canned food will certainly help a large number of cats with urinary issues, but it's not always the answer. Sometimes the prescription food is a necessary evil, no matter how bad the ingredients. If the prescription food is no longer an option due to his allergies, then he may need a supplement to make his urine more acidic or alkaline along with a new food. In addition, if your cat is on insulin for the diabetes, changing foods may impact the dose of insulin.

I think your situation with this cat is kind of complicated and throwing caution to the wind and just changing his food may cause other undesirable complications. I think you would be much better served by finding a new vet that is more in line with your way of thinking and work together to find a solution.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I think your situation with this cat is kind of complicated and throwing caution to the wind and just changing his food may cause other undesirable complications. I think you would be much better served by finding a new vet that is more in line with your way of thinking and work together to find a solution.
Yeah, I would be really careful making big dietary changes for a cat with multiple complex health issues. With a cat who is basically healthy, you can do a little trial and error, but when the cat's system is already stressed, throwing off the balance can cause serious problems.

I'm not saying don't do it, and I think a different diet would probably indeed help - I'm just saying you really need to try to find a vet who at least accepts your feeding choices even if not agreeing with them, to ensure that the cat's insulin is kept at an appropriate level and the bladder issues aren't worsening into kidney issues when the protein in the diet increases.

Please at least keep your current vet in the loop, because the amount of insulin your cat needs will probably change, and an incorrect insulin level can be lethal.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement