Cat with chronic stomatitis - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Cat with chronic stomatitis

Full teeth extraction this week.

Lookign for feedback and insight and suggestions....

Im scared....
marie5890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Hey! my boy had to have this done too. I was a wreck! The surgery is straight forward. Recovery is fast. When I brought him home after the surgery (same day) he was pawing lightly at the mouth due to the stitches. He was on some pain meds for 3-4 days. Anyways it was a lighty soupy canned food (not waterey, but enough that he wouldnt have to "chew") for the first day or 2. I slowly added less water until he was back to having his canned food as per normal. Week 2 I added his kibble "snack" back.
He has zero problems eating now. No pain. Just make sure that the food you feed is bite size. He still has his 2 upper canines.
stephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

That's me...total wreck...and then some...

So it resolved the issue completely? Im hoping it does for my girl (my avatar is a pic of her)...

She just had her 3rd flare up this last week since the fall. Had a complete dental cleaning in Oct. And still it came back.

I just cant stand to see any of my kitties in pain like that....
Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

my cat only has 3 teeth left (two top canines and a back tooth), and she's completely fine, we add warm water to her wet food and mix it all up (helps increase water consumption also), so there's no chewing required.
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmeray View Post
my cat only has 3 teeth left (two top canines and a back tooth), and she's completely fine, we add warm water to her wet food and mix it all up (helps increase water consumption also), so there's no chewing required.
How long ago did you have this done?

This is what happened. She went in for full tooth extraction after 3 flare ups with this since Sept.

I have always known that it was her back teeth with the problem, never her front. Her enamel is not even deteroiated

Vet calls me right at the very beginning looking at her teeth (she is under) and says she really doesnt need them all out, that he has seen much much worse over the years (He has been a vet for decades, both his kids are vets) and felt only 6 needed to come out.

Her front teeth have never been inflammed.

So I went with the recommendation with the idea that if this is done in stages that may be less traumatic rather than having them ALL out, and most of them being very healthy teeth, would be much more traumatic..(sorta like someone needing both knees replaced, but not having them done at the same time due to the intense pain and trauma)

I hope that I made the right decision. He did ask how old she was (9.5 years)

Too late now. But I just wasnt expecting a call from him really recommending that not a full mouth extraction...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Sounds good, you will see a difference with having the bad teeth removed. How is kitty doing?
stephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement