Cat vomiting after every meal - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Cat vomiting after every meal

I have an 11 year old cat that just started vomiting after he eats. He does it about 12 hours after and won't eat any canned food anymore. He just threw up about 1/8 cup of dry Innova. I fed a little pumpkin last night, and that seemed to go OK. But he wouldn't touch the wet food I offered. Confused and wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Could be anything. Lacey did this last Wednesday (adoption day)and Thursday nights before a major cold came on. She has had a cold ever since Fridayand vet said she can do little for a cold. I'd make an appointment and keep an eye on kitty. Watch for sneezing, excess sleeping, crankiness etc., but I would get him checked soon.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

He had a URI when we first adopted him. That was 8 years ago. Has always been a little wheezy very once in a while since. He did it Sunday, then we skipped dinner and he eagerly ate breakfast the next day, skipped dinner and vomited this morning.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I couldn't quite tell from your second post - when you say "we" are "skipping" meals, is he refusing to eat or are you not offering the meals because of the vomiting?

If you are indeed not offering him meals because he vomited, that may be part of the problem. When cats get very hungry, they sometimes eat too fast and make themselves sick, so it may be turning into a cycle where he eats too much, vomits, gets really hungry, then eats too much again etc.

If you're offering him all his regular meals and he's just refusing to eat, I agree that it could be just about anything. Then your best bet would be to take him to the vet.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,) Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I agree that it would be a good idea to get your cat checked out at the vet if the vomitting continues, just to be on the safe side. Monitor his behaviour for anything out of the ordinary, in addition to the vomitting and refusal to eat wet food. Cats are good at disguising the fact that they're sick.
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
I couldn't quite tell from your second post - when you say "we" are "skipping" meals, is he refusing to eat or are you not offering the meals because of the vomiting?

If you are indeed not offering him meals because he vomited, that may be part of the problem. When cats get very hungry, they sometimes eat too fast and make themselves sick, so it may be turning into a cycle where he eats too much, vomits, gets really hungry, then eats too much again etc.

If you're offering him all his regular meals and he's just refusing to eat, I agree that it could be just about anything. Then your best bet would be to take him to the vet.
He is not interested in the meal, he doesn't come during feeding time. After a meal is skipped he doesn't eat all of the next meal (less than 1/4 cup for a 12 lb cat), and he never eats very fast. I also feed a controlled amount, so he can't eat 'too much'
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hm, I would definitely say take him to the vet, then. That sounds worrisome.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,) Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
I agree that it would be a good idea to get your cat checked out at the vet if the vomitting continues, just to be on the safe side. Monitor his behaviour for anything out of the ordinary, in addition to the vomitting and refusal to eat wet food. Cats are good at disguising the fact that they're sick.
Thanks for the suggestion. He is still very active and is playing eagerly. I'll monitor him for the week and maybe change his food to one he did exceptionally well on. They have never been on this food before, however they are not strangers to changing foods. I almost never feed the same thing twice for the last 8 years.

For some reason none of my cats aren't eating this food very well anymore
Just cleaned everything that they eat/drink out of, hopefully the bug will run it's course and my kitties will be back to their normal crazy selves.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe I'm confused...but you said he vomits after eating, then you said 12 hours after eating? If the gap really is 12 hours, I would not associate the problem with the food at all.

Is he bringing up food or just liquid? A cat that hasn't eaten for 12 hours could very easily have an over production of stomach acid and bring it up. If he's bringing up actual partially digested food that long after eating, he's not digesting it well and definitely needs a vet visit.

At 11 years old, he's in the age range where any of the senior ailments could be in play and they all include vomiting as a symptom. If he hasn't been to the vet in a while then it's probably a good idea anyway. Even if nothing specific is identified, getting a baseline blood work for comparing to later on is valuable.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Maybe I'm confused...but you said he vomits after eating, then you said 12 hours after eating? If the gap really is 12 hours, I would not associate the problem with the food at all.

Is he bringing up food or just liquid? A cat that hasn't eaten for 12 hours could very easily have an over production of stomach acid and bring it up. If he's bringing up actual partially digested food that long after eating, he's not digesting it well and definitely needs a vet visit.

At 11 years old, he's in the age range where any of the senior ailments could be in play and they all include vomiting as a symptom. If he hasn't been to the vet in a while then it's probably a good idea anyway. Even if nothing specific is identified, getting a baseline blood work for comparing to later on is valuable.
He vomits about 12 hours after eating, not right away. It's partially digested food. He was seen by the vet last year for a check up and all shots. He had bloodwork done as well at that time. Everything came out normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement