Repeat blockages - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Repeat blockages

My cat, Ace (almost six years old), has a urinary blockage. This is his third blockage. The first time was several years ago. He was on 100% dry food (Wellness Core). The second time was a few months late. We were trying to switch him to raw and mistakenly used canned food with fish in it to try and entice him to eat the raw.

For awhile he was on 2 feedings of cd and one dry meal per day. Then his littermate blocked (he was eating canned Friskies).

For about a year new, we've been feeding two meals of canned Evo 95% turkey and chicken and one meal of canned cd. We always add water to their food and they have a running water fountain.

We aren't sure what to do. We can't keep spending hundreds of dollars clearing blockages. (The first time we paid $1200 but we found a cheaper clinic. Any advice would be appreciated.
nikelodeon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Oh my, I'm sorry, that must be really hard to deal with for both you and your cat. One of my cats has blocked twice, and one of my biggest fears is that it'll happen again despite doing the all the right things to prevent it.
It must be really frustrating... it sounds like you feed only wet food, and with added water even, so getting enough water is not the issue. You feed a high quality high protein food along with the prescription food, 3 times a day...no dry food right? You could try going raw again, or the other option is to feed only the canned C/D and see if that works. C/D is pretty sub par when it comes to ingredients, and its expensive for sure, but if it does the job and keeps your cat from blocking, well that's the most important thing. Did the vet find crystals in his urine all three times?

You probably already know this, but FLUTD is not just diet related but can be stress related as well. I use Feliway plugins to help reduce the stress levels of my cats. Some people don't have much luck with it, but I find that my cats do seem more relaxed. They fight less, and it also helps to curb Sadie's over-grooming habit.
I've also learned to be careful about changes in their environment and routine. The last time Cheddar blocked, during his recovery, my displaced sister and her two babies were staying with me for about a week, and having them here stressed Cheddar out enough that he started showing symptoms again.
It's also really important to keep the litter box very clean so they don't have any reason to hold their urine. Cleaning the box frequently also gives you a better chance of noticing and catching a problem early. Know the signs... small clumps of urine and frequent trips to the box, licking his genitals frequently, any sign of pain. Cheddar even kneads blankets and other soft things frequently when having problems, probably due to the irritation.

After three blockages, though, I think it's time to consider PU surgery. It's a complicated and expensive surgery, and although it won't solve the underlying issues, it will greatly reduce the chances of developing a life threatening blockage. For cats that have a history of blocking, it's often the best option.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I think you're faced with seriously considering the surgery. You could probably give it one more try with 100% canned C/D, but given that he's blocked 3 times the food just may not make any difference.

You might also want to consider this Vetri-science product. But make sure to review it with your vet. I know someone who had good luck with it with his dog.

http://www.vetriscience.com/sellshee...gth%20STAT.pdf

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I know how you feel... my cat Kodak is currently recuperating from a block. His bladder is distended and he's going every 10 minutes with only a little urine. My vet said that it would take a few days for it to go back to normal in a few more days, but we had them keep him over the weekend to watch him just in case. As far as food, he's finally eating the canned cd with a little water mixed in, where before he would turn his nose up at it. I guess when he was at the vet, he had no choice, and got used to it. This is his 4th episode, and the first time he was fully blocked. If we can't resolve it with food, we're looking at the PU surgery. I have no idea how much it might cost though. Good luck with your kitty. Seems like a lot of cats lately have been blocking, including a co workers cat, who was too late to save him.