New Microchip doesn't scan - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default New Microchip doesn't scan

Took Lacey our new 3yo to the vet yesterday to have her cold checked and get her in to the system. I didn't think to bring the microchip number so they can enter it into their system but the vet said no worries, - she'll just scan it. Took out the wand they always use and no pings. Took out a different wand and still no pings. We all just looked at each other. One of those things that make ya go hmmmm.

Animal Control chipped her when I adopted her last week and the chip is not responding. I'm taking her back to Animal Control next week (after her cold has passed) to be checked there with their wands and re-chipped if necessary. I told the vet that it was quite unsettling to me to think that if my new cat got out and was lost that she would not have been read and I possibly would never see her again. Got me to wondering, has anyone ever gotten the chip checked while at the vet's??? Might be something you'll want to do at the next visit - just to be sure.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

hmm, that is a good idea, I guess I've just always trusted that it works still (though I don't even know what info it has on it, now that I think about it).. thanks for pointing that out!
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don't think Moosey is chipped, so I am going to take her in the next time they do it at the place where I got her but I have one question.

Do you think this will cause her anxiety, like she will be afraid to be left there again? She was there for 9 months and I am not sure how long her memories of that place last. I mean, it was a great adoption agency, but I would take her to a vet to have it done if it would be easier on her. She is an anxious cat by nature.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Did Animal Control test the chip before AND after insertion? They're supposed to scan it twice to verify the ID number. It's also suggested that 2 people independently check for a microchip.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

WOW, this is the thing i'm afraid of with my cat. I just adopted him (he's 9 mo) and he's not chipped yet, and I was thinking about it but had concerns. Like if it will hurt him and what if it doesn't work?!

Please post how things turn out, I wanna get my guy chipped but i'm a little scared. I hope your little girl gets to feeling better soon! Best of luck!
Breshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post
Do you think this will cause her anxiety, like she will be afraid to be left there again? She was there for 9 months and I am not sure how long her memories of that place last. I mean, it was a great adoption agency, but I would take her to a vet to have it done if it would be easier on her. She is an anxious cat by nature.
Do it at your vet next scheduled visit - that way there is no added stress. Animal Control did it here as part of the adoption process. They chipped Lacey on adoption day - same day they gave her a rabies shot. She didn't seem to be uncomfortable, but it WAS adoption day so there was a bit of stress anyways.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Did Animal Control test the chip before AND after insertion? They're supposed to scan it twice to verify the ID number. It's also suggested that 2 people independently check for a microchip.
I don't know. It was done in the back while I was signing papers. I called them after the vet visit and she didn't seem shocked by the chip not reading. Said to bring her in and they would check it; that sometimes it falls out or is faulty. We'll see.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

The needle they use to insert the chip is pretty big. They like to chip them when they're under anesthesia for their fixing for that reason. When we chipped Cuddles the vet took a deep breath and said, ok, this could get ugly! She inserted the chip and Cuddles didn't even meow. I'm sure , based on her reaction, that for some cats it's a painful event.
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabiesDaddy View Post
The needle they use to insert the chip is pretty big. They like to chip them when they're under anesthesia for their fixing for that reason. When we chipped Cuddles the vet took a deep breath and said, ok, this could get ugly! She inserted the chip and Cuddles didn't even meow. I'm sure , based on her reaction, that for some cats it's a painful event.
Based on this I may just forego the whole thing. My cats are all indoor cats and none of the others are microchipped. Plus I really don't want to take her back to the shelter this soon. Lady Lacy is just now getting over her cold and settling in nicely (slept next to me all night last night). It's just not that important to me and not worth hurting her over.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My girls are all chipped and they didn't make a peep. In fact, my chair in the waiting room was right outside the room where they were doing the microchipping and the only noises I heard were from pets that were whining and complaining the entire time, not from the chipping. I don't know of any vet who requires sedation to chip unless they're price gouging.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement