Pia is vomiting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Pia is vomiting

Beginning last Saturday 1/12 pia has vomited 4 times. 1st time that Saturday night, next the following Tuesday morning, this past Sunday and this morning. It's brown based like food with some chunks for food. She eats purina one and fancy feast. I leave the dry down all day cause she grazes. She rarely finishes all if her wet food and. I give her 1 cup dry morning and night. There's always a little left. She prefers the dry.

She's never brought up a cigar shaped hairball or any other formed hairball since I've had her. She's around 10 mos. old. Healthy was last at the vet for spay and 2 prior preop blood tests in November.

Her activity is normal and playful. At least 1 good formed bowel movement a day and at least 2-3 pees a day.

She wretches prior to vomiting, gets a drink and eats some more. I examined it and looks to be loose hairs in there. I haven't seen her chew on anything she shouldn't and don't think she would swallow anything.

I've started adding pumpkin last night. She really didn't want it this morning when I mixed it with her food, but maybe she ate some when I'm gone.

She's my first cat and now I'm getting worried. Like I said before, I've only had dogs who grew very senior with problems and I scare very easily.

Could this be a hairball working its way or something serious?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nibbles-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Pia is vomiting

I got home tonight and she vomited food again, chunks of kibble. She's acting like her crazy self, running around, eating, drinking. Good poop when I got home and pee.

I'm getting really scared, but I do tend to fly off the handle and rush animals to the vet and spend tons of money for them to tell me it's nothing to be concerned about.

How long should I give it? I'm thinking to stop giving the dry for awhile a see what happens cause it seems its half digested dry food each time.

I'm really worried now, my vet is over an hour away so don't wanna rush if its not normal.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

2 cups of food a day sounds like an ungodly amount of food. And wet on top of it! I would decrease the amount ASAP. It might be that she is just getting too much food. My dog gets 2 cups a day and he is 50lbs!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed...that is way too much food for a cat. Sounds like she's stuff herself and bringing it back up. A 10 lb cat on dry only should get about 1/2 cup per day...decrease if adding wet. But I'd get rid of the dry first, canned is so much better for her.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Pia is vomiting

I'm sorry I meant 1/2 cup twice a day. I leave it out all day and she grazes on it. She weighed 6.8lb in October when we found her, she's now 8.4lb. There's always a little food left in the bowl and she never finishes all the wet.

I called the vet and he'll be calling me back tomorrow. I'm just really scared and working myself into a tizzy.

Tonight she ate a little and flew, I mean flew through the house. I don't think her feet even touched the floor.

I took the dry up and left the wet and she sat and me owed at the floor.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Pia is vomiting

Ok so I'll decrease to 1/4c morning and night until she's off the dry. She really prefers the dry but whatever is better for her. My dogs were on wellness, when I gave it to her she wouldn't even lick it. Tried innova, Merrick and others. She eats the fancy feast most of the time. I give the stray cats 9 lives and whiskas and she jumps on the counter and eats that and follows me out the door for it. I don't feel comfortable at all letting her eat those. Fancy feast is bad enough!

So do you think that's the problem and maybe she runs and doesn't digest it? She's been eating the same food since I got her, I don't know why it's a problem now. The receptionist said her stomach maybe sensitive to hair also.

When we got her, her preop tests came back bad with high alk ( live enzymes) of 586 and round worms in her stool. We put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks and results came down to 158 when normal is around 100 so we were pleased and had her spayed. When I questioned if that could be a reason for the vomiting is when she said the doctor would call me to be in the safe side. She first said to try a different food.

If it was a blockage of some sort would she be acting normal and normal appetite and stool or would she be sick by now since it started over a week ago?

Thanks for your help,
Pia's distressed, neurotic mommy

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

This may be a long shot but is the dry food a new bag? I ask this because I bought a new bag of dog food of the same brand I always buy and for some reason every time she ate she would throw up. After the third time I really started to think what would be causing it. I recalled that I recently opened a new bag of food when the vomiting started. I called the store and they said it's always possible I could of received a bad batch and to return it for a new one. When I did, the vomiting completely stopped.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Pia is vomiting

Omg, yes I just opened a new 16lb bag of purina one kitten formula. I even checked a little while to see if it was kitten or a different flavor from what I was giving her. I was thinking the se thing. Should I call the store and try to swap it?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

If it were me I would. You don't want her to get to the point where she's so nauseas that she doesn't want to eat. Because a cat that doesn't want to eat can be one of the most frustrating things you'll ever go through.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Pia is vomiting

Thanks, can't be any worse than syringe feeding a very sick dog and begging, pleading, and crying to a blind, diabetic dog who won't eat surrounded by 8 different bowls of food. I'm definitely no stranger to picky eaters. I spent all of last year hand feeding my diabetic dog who wouldn't chew anymore.

I will call tomorrow. Right now I had innova kitten formula that I put a little bit of and she ate a good portion of wet with pumpkin.

I was just reading that the classic flavors of fancy feast are grain free, is that true?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement