Cat First Aid & CPR - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Smile Cat First Aid & CPR

I had a nightmare last night that me new cat (I adopted a week ago), jumped up on my stove that was hot and burnt his little paws. He was wailing in pain and I was absolutely clueless on how to help him. The only thing I could do was rush him to the nearest animal hospital several minutes away all the while he was crying. Luckily it was only a dream and he's just fine sleeping next to me.

I decided I wanted to be prepared for any accidents or emergencies that might occur, so I started looking for cat first aid things. I've been trained in CPR for years and think being prepared is vital! (Of course the trick is to know what to do do BEFORE it happens and then act when it does.)

I did a search and didn't see any threads about the topic here, so I thought I would make one and share what I found with everyone. I would love to know anything you might have found or any personal experiences/advice!

First Aid For Cats
This page has lots of tips about how to help your cat in an emergency. It seems to cover the basics: burns, CPR, heat stroke, seizure, poisoning, etc.

The Basics of Cat First Aid
Not a lot on first aid, but it had info on taking your cats pulse, vital signs, and CPR

Here are a few books I found that can be bought on the subject:

The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats (Prevention Pets): Amy D. Shojai: 9781579543655: Amazon.com: Books The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats (Prevention Pets): Amy D. Shojai: 9781579543655: Amazon.com: Books
I wanna order this one, if anyone has read it please let me know what you think of it! It seems to have a lot of information!

Pet First Aid: Cats & Dogs: American Red Cross: 9781578570003: Amazon.com: Books Pet First Aid: Cats & Dogs: American Red Cross: 9781578570003: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Cat First Aid (Be Red Cross Ready Safety) (9781584804024): American National Red Cross: Books Amazon.com: Cat First Aid (Be Red Cross Ready Safety) (9781584804024): American National Red Cross: Books
There's also a dog version of the same book if you have a doggy! Also the Red Cross does hold some kind of Pet CPR/First aid classes, but I can't find much info on them.
Breshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the links! I have a new kitten and also worry I won't know what to do if certain problems occured!

Too bad there isn't such a thing as an animal emergency service with paramedics and everything! (Well not that I know of around here)
GSRit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've taken the Red Cross First Aid class...useful especially if you have no or little experience. The class was for dogs and cats, but it was very dogcentric. Anyone can set up a class with the Red Cross...you just need to get the minimum number of people to participate.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I think this is really great. Sticky nomination? Though I wouldn't want this to take the place of proper veterinary care.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I started a first aid kit when Billy walked on the back of a couch and caught his tail on fire from a candle on the sofa table! He wasn't hurt luckily, I was there to see it but it did give me nightmares for awhile thinking of the "what if's". I immediately banned all candles in the house after that!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie1483 View Post
Though I wouldn't want this to take the place of proper veterinary care.
Yeah, first aid is what you do until you can get your cat to the vet ASAP, not something to replace veterinary care, and I think it probably needs a disclaimer about that if it becomes a forum sticky.

That said, knowing basic feline first aid can be extremely helpful. (I've had to use it a few times, though fortunately nothing as serious as CPR.) I think it would be helpful to have it stickied.

The Boys: Maisie (age 8, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 2, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Cat First Aid & CPR

I'm very interested in learning CPR. Just last week Yuki started choking on a treat. She was coughing and gasping and I didn't know what to do. She took off under the bed and coughed it up while we were literally trying to pull apart a kingsize bed! It scared the crap out of me and made me realize I could lose her because I don't know what to do. Thank you for posting this.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
Yeah, first aid is what you do until you can get your cat to the vet ASAP, not something to replace veterinary care, and I think it probably needs a disclaimer about that if it becomes a forum sticky.
OH DEFIANTLY! I wasn't trying to replace a vet or anything, it more that moment before you can get to the vet.Like in the dream, I didn't know what to do except take home to the vet. I wasn't sure if I should run cold water over his paw (cat+burn+water=wonderful combo!) or wrap it, or what. Defiantly see a vet after an issue, but what if the animal is chocking. I've seen videos on youtube when a cop pulls over a car that's speeding because they;re racing to the vet because the dog is choking, and the dog dies because they didn't know what to do.

Is there a way to edit posts to add a disclaimer? I didn't think about needing to add one. Also what if they make a new sticky thread and add the information directly (and maybe cite the sources)?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I've taken the Red Cross First Aid class...useful especially if you have no or little experience.
Thanks for the insight! I tried to look it up on the website and was able to get a brief description, but no details or classes. I might have to see about setting up a class. How much did it cost when you took yours? I know the red cross is REALLY expensive!
Breshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement