Barnaby has a lump - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Barnaby has a lump

Was just brushing him today and noticed a lump on his side. At first I thought it was maybe an infected bite from his fight with Baxter but it doesn't seem to move with his skin, like it's adhered to his body.

Brenda had noticed him licking that spot a couple days ago, and this seems to have suddenly formed.

I guess we will be taking a trip to the vet tomorrow. Anyone else have a cat who had a lump?

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sadie had a small lump removed from the back of her head a few months ago. Turned out to be a benign tumor. I caught it when it was small... it sort of was just there one day... so the vet was able to remove all of it without a problem and it healed over nicely.

Hopefully Barnaby's lump is nothing serious.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Good luck with Barnaby's vet visit! There is probably nothing good about lumps. Let us know how it goes!! I'm curious.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I took him to the vet this morning and after shaving the area they saw a puncture wound and it turns out this was from a bite from Baxter, from the big fight they had 5 days ago.

They called it an "abscess" filled with infected blood cells. They gave him an antibiotic shot which will hopefully clear up the infection and shrink the lump. If not, I have to bring him back in 2 weeks for another shot.

They also suggested a warm compress on the area and then trying to squeeze pus out of the wound. That sounds like a lot of fun and almost impossible to accomplish with a cat

Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
They also suggested a warm compress on the area and then trying to squeeze pus out of the wound. That sounds like a lot of fun and almost impossible to accomplish with a cat
Many, many years ago before all of the modern anti-biotics when the only one was plain penicillin our little cat had an abcess on his cheek. I had been bathing it with the weak antiseptic, TSP. The vet (PDSA UK) said to bathe it with a solution of warm salt water.

Back then there was no thought of anti-biotics for everything. Later I was able to put my finger in his mouth and squeeze the core out and then it healed fast and well. The reason I'm mentioning the saltwater is that I think it was not only antiseptic but that it soothed the area and gave the cat confidence in me so that he allowed me to do what I did.

Probably Barnaby will know you're trying to help and be cooperative.

Good luck.

Last edited by jusjim; 01-24-2013 at 05:41 PM.
jusjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

So just plain old water with salt, or epsom salts? When you say "bathe" do you mean fully immerse in the water or just press a cloth soaked with the solution against the lump?

How much salt to water ratio and how long do you need to do it before you should try to squeeze?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
So just plain old water with salt, or epsom salts? When you say "bathe" do you mean fully immerse in the water or just press a cloth soaked with the solution against the lump?

How much salt to water ratio and how long do you need to do it before you should try to squeeze?
Sodium chloride --- plain old table salt.

How much? I was afraid you'd ask that. It (and I guess my age will show) was well over fifty years ago. I seem to recall using a saucer of water and about half a teaspoonof salt. I also used cotton wool as we called it. Don't know baby wipes but I'm sure you could use one cut down to reasonable size. I'm assuming they're absorbant.

I soaked it; squeezed it so that it was wet but not drippping and held it against the spot for a couple of minutes several times. That's the best I can remember. You should be able to adapt from that to your needs.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

You could always try some 2% chlorexide gluconate solution to keep it clean. I use the stuff on myself to clean wounds since I have a skin problem where I deal with boils/abcesses, and it really helps keep infection away. I had a Baxter and Barnaby too, so strange . Glad your Barnaby's vet visit went well
Barnaby July ?, 1998-January 15th, 2012
RockyandLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

A salt water solution is a good idea. I've used that before as well. I think justjim's proportions are about right. With a cotton ball soak the area several times a day. The salt keep the opening from sealing up and allowing the abscess to drain. I think the squeezing may actually make it worse as it could spread further into nearby tissues, so I would be reluctant to do that. The abscess should drain itself if soaked with the salt water solution. If it doesn't, then you should go back to the vet as abscess may have to be lanced so it will drain.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Will have to try again in the morning. I tried tonight and maybe the water was too warm because he struggled to get away and then hissed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement