Food quirk - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Food quirk

I haven't been able to get into town for a while (I live quite a way up a small mountain and got cut off when it snowed. I can walk to the nearest shop and back carrying essentials but driving has been out of the question and so has walking back from the town carrying major cat supplies.

As I have mentioned before, I feed my crew on a mixture of feed - wet, dry, raw and home prepared and I have always argued that if they ahd to it would mean they would adjust more easily to a change of diet.

Well.... that's all background.

My local shop stocks cat supplies but has a VERY limited range. I have been buying what is available (litter as well as food). The tinned and dried food hasn't been my normal choice.

Lottie has a very sensitive stomach. Raw, home prepared and dry are better than wet and I have to be careful with "flavours". On the "cheap" stuff her stomach has noticeably been less touchy. This has made me question some of my preconceptions. Has anyone else noticed a similar peculiarity where "bad" (very much in inverted commas) suits an individual cat better than the good stuff?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you were in the US, I'd say stock up on what they love from the internet and let them deliver while you stay toasty warm at home. I would probably want to have a 30 day supply if I were isolated!

As far as tummy problems, when we first got Missy (over 10 years old at the time) she upchucked just about any wet food over a tablespoon, but especially the lesser quality stuff. This wasn't a bug, it went on for years. As she has gotten older (she is 16 now) she seems to have developed a cast iron tummy and can eat just about anything, she even prefers wet food now and eats that almost exclusively. As we have gotten more stable in our income, I am buying a better quality food (although once in awhile would buy a favorite flavor of the cheap stuff) so that may be the reason she is not vomiting like she used to.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The strange thing is she has no real problem with raw, home prepared or dry and I have now discovered that she is fine with really cheap wet cat food - it's the good wet she has a problem with. Strange beyond!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Perhaps the 'better' wet is too rich in some way. Some people have trouble that way. As long as it's a brand that puts taurine in you probably don't need to worry.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Food quirk

My oldest cat, 7, throws up instantly anytime she eats any real meat(raw or cooked) and certain high quality wet foods, I'm guessing the richness of it. I'd stick with whatever agrees with your cats tummy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Well, I bought Pinnacle wet, which isn't grain-free but has good ingredients, and it's fairly expensive ($33 for a case of 24 5.5-oz cans). The girls loved it, but then someone - or maybe both, I couldn't tell - had very bad diarrhea. I think the Nature's Variety Instinct duck also caused some tummy distress. The Fancy Feast? No problems. Yeah, go figure.

However, they haven't had problems with any of the zillions of other high quality wet foods they've tried (other than that they didn't like them).
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

When my cat ate store bought, she only ate the cheap stuff (Friskies, no joke). She either a)wouldn't eat anything else or b) threw up afterward. I gave up. For emergencies, I still give her Friskies (she is now a raw meat girl). Her keeping food down is more important to me then feeding her good stuff that she immediately throws up.
katbaalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Besides where you usually shop,where's the nearest place you can get cat food? Do you know anyone with a snowmobile?
bluemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Stocking up is a great idea. Ordering from Amazon (at least for me) is cheaper than buying at the pet store. With Amazon Prime you get free shipping. Avoderm, the dry kibble sells here for 21.99 the 7 pound bag. I get it online the 14 pound bag for about 26.99. If you are lucky you will find what your cats like for less. Hope this works for you.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Just to say all is back to normal!! We don't get continuous snow so people don't have snowmobiles. They did manage to get a snow plough into the local school and then by the next morning it was back like it was before they started!

At the moment we have torrential rain - at least there's no fear of flooding where I am!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement