Best cat litter you have found? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Best cat litter you have found?

I have spent a good deal of time researching cat foods, but virtually none researching litter. I am currently using Arm & Hammer Double Odor Control or something like that. It seems to work fine... but it is the only kind I have used.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

We have finally settled on a blend that we feel our boys all agree upon, gives us the longest duration of odor control, at the best price, with the least amount of tracking at that price. We get about 3 full weeks now before changing out the litter entirely if there is a generous amount poured into each pan. My wife is very finicky about odor control and tracking, and this mixture makes her the happiest as well.

We mix these two 50/50:

Keep in mind that litter recommendations vary GREATLY, and for good reason. There are many variables that go into choosing a litter, so you really have to work to find the best one for your CAT FIRST, and then you. As always, if your kitty isn't happy with the litter, you definitely won't be happy with it!

Last edited by GhostTown; 01-24-2013 at 03:04 PM.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We use Tidy Cats in the big container. I really like it because of the odor control and my cats seem to like it as well. Also, it clumps amazingly.

We were using Feline Pine for the first few weeks because that is what the adoption shelter used, but I hated cleaning it out. It took about 30 mins to clean out one pan because the pine pieces dont sift out, so you end up throwing away a lot of litter if you aren't careful. I would have to sift the
"saw dust" which is what happens to the pine pieces when they urinate and scoop that out, then sift out the feces. A lot of times I would get so frustrated I would just dump the whole thing, which got really expensive.

I am really happy with Tidy Cats and I know a lot of people that are happy with Feline Pine. As Ghosttown said, the cats have to like it, first. I was really nervous switching, but my cats love clay litter because they are buriers, which isn't something they could really do with the Feline Pine.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Best cat litter you have found?

I used unscented Fresh Step. I can't handle any litter with scents and this one does a great job of masking odors. I have used it for years.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I use Yesterday's News. My cats will only use pellets, and that one works well for us.
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

I think there's always a bit of a compromise when it comes to litter, there doesn't seem to be one perfect product and you just have to find out what's most important to you and your kitty and then decide on a litter based on that. For me, it's important that it's a natural/plant-based product so I used wood pellets at first when I got my cat. I didn't like the fact that it doesn't clump though, so I switched to World's Best. However, my kitty didn't like that as much and I also found it a bit too dusty. I switched to a mix between Cat's Best Oko Plus and Cat's Best Nature Gold (a German brand so you won't get this in the US) and that works best for us. It doesn't clump quite as well as WB so I need to scoop a few times a day or the clumps will break up, but it's a natural product, I can flush it, it clumps and it's not dusty at all.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I use wood pellets for cat litter. It's perfect for me and my cats, and the only complain I have is it's not so easy to buy
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Fresh Step scoopable I find works the best for us. I have tried many brands but I always come back to Fresh Step. You would never know I own a cat, never a litter box smell in the house even when she goes #2. Plus I can buy the litter at BJ's for a nice low price
~*Regina*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I mix my litter. I use about 2/3 World's Best with 1/3 Fresh Result the Walmart brand of Nature's Miracle. This seems to work great!
Remy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I like World's Best which is corn based. It clumps and is flushable and I do not have to have dirty litter setting around and living on the second floor saves me running downstairs daily to throw it in dumpster. Also I have heard that cats can develop blockages from the clay litter when they groom themselves after using litter box and ingesting the litter from grooming.
kraut3852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement