no carrageenan, guar gum or xanthan gum. - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post

i wonder if fibrous yam pieces are as good as pumpkin for hairballs because none of my cats will eat pumpkin.
Yup...sweet potatoes are an good source of fiber. Chick peas too.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
i it just tastes like people food, except really bland.
You tasted the cat food? wow! but anyway I'm glad its bland, cos I see salt and sodium whatever added into wet food and just recently, a pet store staff told me not to feed too much wet, cos its salty and I was wondering just how salty it can be.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
You tasted the cat food? wow! but anyway I'm glad its bland, cos I see salt and sodium whatever added into wet food and just recently, a pet store staff told me not to feed too much wet, cos its salty and I was wondering just how salty it can be.
i accidentally licked my finger once while putting wet on my cats' plates. it was kinda bland. actually i was surprised how bland it was - i always thought it has some flavor, since wet cat food has very "rich bouquet" it was not salty at all
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thank you, another one confirming cat food is bland, so, no cause for worry feeding wet.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Premier Cat

So doodlebug did Callie actually eat any of the peas?

Years ago when I had my first cat, I was having a bowl of canned peas (don't ask - for some reason, that's what I felt like eating) when she came and swished furiously at my legs. She wouldn't go away, so I put a few on a plate, sort of as a joke, thinking silly cat, go ahead and see. She scarfed them down and wanted more.

With the two current ones, if the food has whole peas and diced carrots, I have to pick them out because they won't even eat around them. They seem to consider them obstacles to the rest of the food on the plate.

Thanks to doodlebug and cinderflower for the warning about the Lotus.

The worst-smelling food I've found so far was the Wellness Core fish one. I don't remember what was in it - herring maybe? Whew.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh yes, she loved them. She'd eat as many as I'd give her. But then Callie would eat just about anything...her favorite was roasted red peppers. The only thing she ever turned her nose up at was pretzels. She was a stray that I took in and up till the very end (11 years later), she still acted like she didn't know where her next meal was coming from.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
to be fair, grammy's pot pie was reviewed online and a woman said she tasted it and "it's not bad," which gave me the idea. i didn't expect to want to eat it myself, i just wondered how bad "not bad" really is. i'm not positive that if you put it in a bowl and salted it, that a person who eats meat would be able to tell it's cat food.

i ended up giving 18 cans of it to the cat care society because the only one of my cats who would eat it is the grain intolerant one and it would make her throw up. evidently, it's kind of true that the stinkier the better. but some of the FF literally makes me gag, and there's absolutely no way i'd dare taste it. paw lickin' chicken is just strips of chicken breast in water and it would most likely pass for people food as well. it's one of the staple foods my cats will always eat, and i mix it with other foods to add variety.

many years ago i was at a party and the woman giving it had a cat. she went in the kitchen to fix food for it, got distracted and left a bowl of cat food on the counter. it was late in the evening, and a really drunk guy wandered over and started eating it with tortilla chips. he was like, "this is really good," and some other people who had seen what it was started laughing and the girl who left it there started screaming, "DON'T EAT THAT!" even after that, i have never ever been tempted to try canned cat food.

but i don't think i can testify there isn't added salt in some cat foods. read the label i guess, but as far as i know, none of the better food has added salt. not that cats don't like it, but they probably get high blood pressure or something from too much. or something. i don't know. and i wouldn't know of any of the brands you can buy in sweden but it will be on the label as sodium chloride.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Thanks to doodlebug and cinderflower for the warning about the Lotus.
don't get me wrong, my cats like it. i'm the one who thinks it looks gross lol. that would be part of the answer to why companies add the carrageenan, guar and xanthan gum--it improves the way it looks aesthetically to us. cats go by smell. and it smells bad to me as well, but i'm blaming that on the salmon.

if i ever expected one of my cats to try to cover a food up like poop, it would be that one, but they like it. which is good because it's one of the foods that comes in at .18 an ounce, and even when you find fancy feast on sale, it's usually more than that.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Kitten

Go! Grain Free Pate for cats contains no Carageenan or Guar in their new formulas. There are new formulas coming too.
SimonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
but i don't think i can testify there isn't added salt in some cat foods. read the label i guess, but as far as i know, none of the better food has added salt. not that cats don't like it, but they probably get high blood pressure or something from too much. or something. i don't know. and i wouldn't know of any of the brands you can buy in sweden but it will be on the label as sodium chloride.
cinderflower, I'd asked a few months back about salt in cat food because I was seeing it so much. I thought it was weird, but someone said they didn't think it was bad for cats.

So...guess what food has salt? Yep, Lotus. As well as Castor & Pollux Organix, I and love and you, Blue Wilderness, Nutro Max, NutriSource, and Pinnacle. And of course FF. Oh, and the Hill's a/d food. The only brand currently in my cabinet that doesn't have salt is Avoderm. I know that it's an ingredient in a lot more high quality foods, but since my girls wouldn't eat them, I gave them away, so I can't check any more.

I feel like it wasn't always this way, but who knows? I wasn't looking until the past few months.

Oh, I understood what you meant about the smell of Lotus. Cats do really like the stinkier foods though, it would appear. My cans of Lotus arrived today, but the box was sitting outside all day and I think the high temp was 24, so I didn't open them. I hope the food will be ok.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement