no carrageenan, guar gum or xanthan gum. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default no carrageenan, guar gum or xanthan gum.

lotus canned food. i bought some of their dry food awhile back because it's baked (not extruded) but since i hardly give them any dry, i couldn't say too much about it. my cats are pretty much ravenous for ANY dry food since they hardly ever get any. they'd probably eat kellogg's corn flakes if i put it in their dishes. anyway, i wanted to get some canned but they're weren't making it yet (?--i'm not positive about this) but i just got a bunch of it with my last order.

on looks: it's kind of disgusting looking (even for cat food lol) and i will bet that's because carrageenan/guar and xanthan gum are thickening agents used for aesthetic, not nutritional, purposes. it's pretty soupy, for those of you who have cats that prefer the soupiest pate.

i only got grain-free salmon/vegetable pate. my cats like it. here's a video link for a woman trying it out on her cats the first time:

and i could be wrong, but i thought she said if you write to the company and tell them you want to try it, they'll send you samples? couldn't hurt to ask--i'll probably ask for some samples even though i already bought a case, the chicken and turkey types anyway because i don't know that they'd eat that kind.

there are tons of links to cat food types, etc. from this one for anyone interested.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thanks for posting this cinderflower! I considered Lotus at my local natural foods pet store, but I think I didn't buy it because of all of the vegetables (carrot haters, both of my girls). However, based on what you say about how soupy the consistency is, I'm going to buy a few cans and see how they go over. I'd be thrilled to find something to go along with the Pinnacle, since I know that in a few days, they'll decide they don't like Pinnacle anymore. Mine won't touch salmon, so I think I'll play it safe and go with the chicken - and keep my fingers crossed.

I don't know where you buy your food, but at onlynaturalpet.com it's on sale - $1.32 for a 5.5 oz. can. This place is my latest favorite - they have terrific customer service.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Finally something without carrageenan and the gums, too bad they aren't available in Sg.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
I considered Lotus at my local natural foods pet store, but I think I didn't buy it because of all of the vegetables (carrot haters, both of my girls).
i thought twice about it because of all the vegetables too, but i have my trusty old black and decker food processor that i only use for cat food if something is too chunky. fortunately, this doesn't have hunks of carrots in it, and they all three licked their bowls clean first pass so i'd say it's a hit. i also bought some spot's stew grain-free chicken, shrimp & crab and it does have whole peas and hunks of carrots, but i was surprised. they scarf all of it down and don't pick anything out. it has guar gum in it but i don't think that's quite as bad as carrageenan, not sure. and it's a plus if they'll send you some samples. i just e-mailed and asked right now so i don't know yet but they're at lotuspetfoods.com.

Quote:
I don't know where you buy your food, but at onlynaturalpet.com it's on sale - $1.32 for a 5.5 oz. can. This place is my latest favorite - they have terrific customer service.
thanks! i'm a total sale shopper @ doggiefood.com. i got a case of 12.5 oz. cans and also 20% off since i ordered over $200 worth at once so i got it for .19 an ounce, so about 1.04 for a 5.5 oz. can. if i shop this site right, i can get almost any food cheaper than fancy feast, which used to be a favorite of my cats. they have since gone over to the other side. someone had a post about the cheaper stuff being digested more easily, but i noticed over time that even with the grain-free stuff, they would get diarrhea or really smelly bm's so i slowly phased it out, especially after i figured out how inexpensively i could buy the better food. doggiefood can be a little slow, but i always order enough to get free shipping and i order enough food at a time so that i never run out anymore.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post

i'm a total sale shopper @ doggiefood.com. .
do they have sales on doggiefood.com? I ordered once (was it you who told me about the coupon? ), everything was fine, so I wouldn't mind shopping there more often. or you just use coupon codes?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

it might have been you, i know it was someone lol but my brain is like a sieve sometimes.

when i first decided to go 100% canned (or 95-98%, depending on how tired i get sometimes) i looked at wag.com, petflowdirect, naturalpet and doggiefood. even with the monthly deliveries pre-ordered, doggiefood had the best prices of them all as long as you buy over $100 worth at a time. i think with that there's usually a flat 15% discount + free shipping, anything over $200 and it's 20% off.

this is actually not even feasible for someone unless they know what kind of food their cat will eat consistently. the last thing you want is to be donating cases of really expensive food because your cats won't go near it. as far as i can tell, they have most of their merchandise marked down consistently, but they do have specials. if it's something i would ordinarily buy, fine, but it isn't a deal if it's some weird food my cats won't eat. not even weird sometimes, i tried before grain and no deal. nope. they didn't like it. i tricked them into eating a whole case of it by mixing it with weruva . then i never bought it again. i don't mind mixing foods, because i do that all the time to create different flavors so they don't get bored. i don't even really plan it, sometimes i just grab cans and mix for the day. in general, the only time i buy cases of food is when they'll eat it not mixed with anything else.

doggiefood doesn't take back partial cases. the local pet store does, but they're considerably more expensive, don't give a discount when i buy bulk and charge for delivery regardless so that's why i don't get it from them. i liked the store, i just have a limited amount of money to work with.

i did a lot of work going in--for six weeks in may and june i spent about $400 on cat food, trying to find out what they liked. but this was because i was buying single cans of different types and small 3 oz. cans. buying it like that, it's definitely more expensive than fancy feast. but when you can buy in bulk, sometimes it's even cheaper because FF only comes in 3 oz. cans. ever since then i spend approximately $90-$100 on food for three cats. the only food that is always exorbitantly expensive is tiki cat, but i still buy a case (it only comes in 8 can cases) once in a while, then i stretch it with plain chicken weruva. but if you never buy it, your cat will never miss it so . . .

i'll put up all the coupon codes in the right section (lol now that i know where it is) so if someone needs them they'll be there. once you buy from them, they'll send you a million e-mails with codes anyway but there will probably always be new people.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

lol it was me, because i remember our conversation of where your post had been gone haha! thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

LOL, those cats are like mine, they recognize cans of cat food from a mile away, and start checking 'em out as soon as I get back from the store.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I'm so confused...I thought we were supposed to stay away from anything with vegetables since cats are carnivors? Are you saying that the worthlessness of those outweight the stabelizers that keep meat only canned foods safe?! (at least I think that is what they are for...)
HELP!
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Lotus has agar-agar in it, a polysaccharide made from seaweed (like carrnegean). All canned pet foods use either gums or starches for consistency, moisture and texture.

For example Fromm 4 star canned has no gums or thickeners but has potato starch which raises the carb level to 30% on a dry matter basis so it's a "pick your poison" sort of thing.

The only way to get away from starches, gums, or polysaccharides completely is to feed homemade raw.
Pandoragem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement