Taste of the Wild success - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Taste of the Wild success

I just started giving Shadow Taste of the Wild yesterday. I must say that it looks exactly like Chicken Soup for the Kitten's Lovers Soul.

So far, we haven't had any issues with it & her stool is normal. I still think that I would like to try EVO once this bag is mostly eaten. I have read good things Orien but I don't think any of the stores near me sell it.

I still have to buy a low carb wet food that I can give my diabetic cat & Shadow. I'm looking at EVO & Friskies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

EVO wet is low carb, but Friskies is not.
classic flavors fancy feast are low carbs if we talk about grocery store food.

many fish flavors of high quality wet are very low carb, but feeding cats fish based diet is not the best either, so I personally dont feed my cats fish flavors too often.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Fancy feast classics is what I meant. I couldn't remember the name. I am going to get a can each to see if my KC will eat that. He just sits & stares at his dry food. He has lost a pound and I can feel his spine. He is 14 & I am still trying to educate myself on his diabetes & bladder stuff.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I have been spending tons of $$$ trying to get better quality food into my 5 cats. Thanks to this forum, I am a convert from Fancy Feast and Friskies. I've tried EVO canned and dry and the canned Spots Stew chicken and they all love it. The first test of the Honest Kitchen dehydrated was good, but ever since that they've turned up their noses at it.

LOTS of $$$ wasted on these: Spots Stew fish flavor, Tiki chicken & Weruva (both of these are shredded chicken and they don't like the texture). Orijin dry - not one of the cats like this. Stupid me bought a 15 pound bag.

If you order $49 at Chewy.com or Wag.com you can get free shipping - plus it comes right to your doorstep in a couple days. Priceless when it is 25 degrees and snowing outside!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yeah I know what you mean about spending $ on food and if they don't like it then it gets wasted. Ugh! I have a bag of Chicken Soup for the kitten lovers soul that will be wasted because she needed cat food & not kitten. That was my bad.

I agree that this forum has definitely helped me in researching food etc to point me in the right direction

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My neighbor took some of my left over partial bags - she was glad to have them. The Friskies and Purina One dry was an upgrade for her! The shelter is getting all my cans. I asked my husband if he minded if I made a $100 donation to the animal shelter. He said of course not, so I told him how much I've been spending on rejected food and said it was a donation "in kind". This is great quality food, my cats just won't eat it.
I wonder if there is a big difference between the cat and kitten formulas. I would suspect the kitten formula is smaller bites and higher calorie or blander taste(?). If a cat is thin the higher quality might not be a bad thing if she will eat it otherwise. Maybe someone can chime in on the cat vs. kitten food thing.

Last edited by marie73; 01-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I think that the kitten food has more calories. Shadow doesn't need all of the calories since she already weighs 11.5 lbs. She is a long cat and looks good at this weight. I think that she will eat anything that I put in front of her. lol

She does like the Taste of the Wild so far and it does seem to be filling her belly up. She does have stinky poo though. I'm not sure if it is the food or because she is only 10 months old. Ha!
soccergrl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Really? Is that such a disqualifying thing??
Veggies do that to me (TMI), but I'd hate to cut them out of my diet just because of THAT!!

Last edited by marie73; 01-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Ha ha Marcia!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergrl76 View Post
She does like the Taste of the Wild so far and it does seem to be filling her belly up. She does have stinky poo though. I'm not sure if it is the food or because she is only 10 months old. Ha!
My kits were eating TOTW Dry and Innova wet mixed together. They had very stinky stools. My roommate bought Innova dry and the kits are not happy about it. They love TOTW. I am trying to get them to finish this bag, but I will probably end up going and getting TOTW dry and wet because Innova is not grain free.

ERR to my roommate for buying the wrong stuff!