Holly still has cold and diarrhea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Holly still has cold and diarrhea

It's been 3 wks since we got her and two of those weeks she's been under the care of a vet. She's had a round of antibiotics for the sneezing and runny nose. And a round of antibiotics for giardia. The cold is actually worse and the diarrhea is no better. I took in another stool sample to see if the giardia is gone and/or if there's another parasite going on.

Dr. Also put her on augmentin for the cold.

They are starting to think it might be an allergy or sensitivity to her food which is Blue Buffalo Freedom and Merrick BG mixed. Trying to convince me to put her on royal canin for sensitive stomachs or science diet. Of course they sell both of those foods so I'm thinking there's an ulterior motive.

Any ideas on how to clear up the cold and diarrhea?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

weluvcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

royal canin and science diet are both premium cat foods, but are rather nutritious. My father works for Science diet and that's what I feed my cat. The vet it just recommending some of the better foods, may not be a motive, most vets sell science diet.

As far as helping, I have a cat first aid book that says you can give cats Kaopectate for diarrhea. This is the book and if you do the 'look inside' you can see the first few pages where it's listed.
The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats (Prevention Pets): Amy D. Shojai: 9781579543655: Amazon.com: Books The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats (Prevention Pets): Amy D. Shojai: 9781579543655: Amazon.com: Books

NOTE: I AM NOT A VET, i don't know if it works or is even safe for the cat. Mine is currently having some problems, but i haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Please don't put your cat on Science Diet! You are correct about there being an ulterior motive. Vets sell Science Diet because they are paid to, not because it is a quality food. Vets are not necessarily schooled in pet nutrition, which is obvious when your vet is pushing cat junk food. Blue and Merrick are both quality foods while Science Diet is full of fillers and by-products. If you search around on this site a little, there are quite a few posts with lists of quality cat foods including Wellness, EVO, Merrick, and Blue Buffalo.

Are you feeding dry or wet? One of my cats has had occasional loose stool (not quite diarrhea but not normal consistency) and canned 100% pumpkin has helped fix the issue (gives the cat more fiber). Have you gotten results for the most recent stool sample yet?
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks for the replies. Her stool sample came back clear but she is supposed to finish her meds for giardia. YAY!!

So we are trying a change in diet. I got their science diet for sensitive stomachs to prove my point. Holly will NOT touch it. I mixed it with her other food and she eats around the the SD!

I believe she may be allergic to corn, wheat and maybe gluten, so I am feeding her exclusively Blue Wildrness chicken. guess what? Her bm's are getting normal!

I am not one who likes confrontation but I am standing my ground here. I'm taking in both bags--- Blue and SD--- and will show them the difference.

Holly also likes canned food but I've eliminated everything in her diet except Blue Wilderness for now. Trying very hard to get a handle on what's causing her diarrhea.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Please don't give your kitty kaopectate. While the original formula was safe they've since added bismuth subsalicylate which can be poisonous to critters.

I'm assuming that since the vet ran tests and such that coccidia, worms, and FCV were ruled out. I had an outbreak of chronic diarrhea with 5 of my 7 cats last summer for several months and I was trying everything from pumpkin to yogurt to baby rice cereal. At my wits end I tried a probiotic called Intelliflora. (I'd already tried fortiflora but it didn't work.) Within 2 days I saw a difference FINALLY in their poops and within 2 weeks you'd have never known that there'd been a problem.

Also keep the litter box clean. I was scooping many times per day since I didn't know if it was something that they kept giving themselves over and over and I steam mopped the hardwood floors to kill any latent bacteria. It was a stressful time for all if us since we never truly ruled anything put (it just put me over a grand more in debt!) A couple of them were affected really hard and couldn't make it to the box in time and their lil tushies were so red and raw. I was giving tushies lukewarm baking powder baths a lot to help keep the redness from going out of control and mats at bay since one of them was a long haired kitty.

Good luck with figuring it all out. Try the Intelliflora. I swear it's a miracle maker!

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yes they tested for coccidia and giardia and had been tested previously for FIV, also she's been treated multiple times for other intestinal parasites.

I would say she's had a very harsh round of treatments over the past 6 weeks and wonder if that isn't part of her problem. She is also taking probiotics but can't remember right now what it's called. Something like proviable.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breshiki View Post
royal canin and science diet are both premium cat foods, but are rather nutritious. My father works for Science diet and that's what I feed my cat. The vet it just recommending some of the better foods, may not be a motive, most vets sell science diet.
I'm not an expert on cat food, but I've been around here long enough to have learned that both of those foods are considered "crap" in these here parts. Yes, vets recommend it, these companies sponsor their training and education, and vets make lots of money selling it and "prescribing" it for anything and everything. Fortunately, not all vets drink the Koolaid....

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Did they test for FCV (Feline Coronavirus)?

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement