Still deliberating the expensive cat foods - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I do go to Trader's Joes and will definitely check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't feed 100% wet but I do feed it often. I can really see this being a problem in households with more than one cat. I agree with previous posters that having the knowledge is key and then just doing the best you can. I think with feeding dry, portion control becomes all the more important. I still feed a small amount of dry everyday to supplement the canned, but I measure it out to make sure my cat doesn't just gorge on the stuff.

So far, I have not found any places in Canada that sell canned cat food online cheaper than in the stores - because of shipping costs.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Even if you feed one of the higher-end canned cat foods, it isn't always super expensive.

I buy EVO canned food, the basic chicken-and-turkey variety. One 13 ounce can of this costs me $1.99. It's about four days' worth of food for my cat, if I fed her nothing but canned food. That's only about 50 cents per day.

I also "pad it out" by giving my cat EVO dry kibble every day as well. Her diet is around 75% canned and 25% dry food... she gets 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of kibble every day with her wet food, and that supplements the 13 ounce cans to last six or seven days instead of four. (I don't like to let it sit in the fridge that long so I have to freeze some of the canned food, but that's a minor inconvenience.)

The 6 pound bag of EVO cat kibble I bought cost $22 and will last about four months at the rate I use it. The EVO dry kibble costs me another 19 cents per day?

So all told, my EVO cat food is under $1 per day. That's at least comparable with a can of generic commercial cat food and I feel better about the quality of the ingredients.

I should add that I had to spend a couple of days price figuring all this out for myself, comparing different brands and prices at several local stores and websites to determine the cheapest possible way for me to feed a high-end cat food. So there's also a time factor involved, but for me it was worth it.

Last edited by Flauros; 01-31-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I missed the editing window on this, but I could also use cheaper dry kibble. I got that particular bag of EVO on sale, but I'm using the normal $22 shelf price to show it's still reasonable even if you get fancy kibble too.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I haven't read the whole thread, but any wet food is better than dry as a rule of thumb.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Chicken wings are fine as are chicken necks, as long as they are not cooked.
Do not feed cooked bone. It can splinter.
Cats can handle bacteria much more effectively than we think. I have been feeding my cat raw ever since he was a kitten and so far we have never had any problems. Make sure you freeze the meat first , though.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but any wet food is better than dry as a rule of thumb.
I disagree with that statement although many authorities have made it. I would rather feed a high quality kibble and work extra hard at getting enough water into my cats, than feed a food that sources ingredients from China, uses pet quality ingredients such as moldy corn (a source of aflatoxins), meat meal (the dregs of a rendering pit that includes road kill, expired supermarket meats with the styrofoam and plastic, euthanized animals with all of the drugs that were pumped into them etc.) and a variety of other disgusting stuff.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Honestly (and I know this will sound terrible) but I kind of don't think about it. The kittens are being fed Halo Spot's Stew (the Grain Free) version which is dry food and then periodically throughout the week we give them a can of wet food (Lotus and Wellness, both grain free). We also try to give them bits of freeze dried chicken.

That being said, they go through a lot of food (I think they went through a little over 12 pounds of food this month) and while we could go the significantly cheaper route and get a 16 lbs bag of Friskies for cheaper than a 6 lbs bag of Halo, we go with the latter. Because here's the way I see it: if I can waste money on makeup, extra tea, a cup of coffee a day, then I can easily remove these items to get them what they really need. This doesn't work for everyone and I get it. But you do whatever you can for your pet -- if that means that the expensive bag is out of the question, then try an alternative.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Still deliberating the expensive cat foods

Before the age of the "pets are family" mentality there really wasn't any choices of food beyond what was found in the grocery store. All of the dogs & cats we had when I was a child got different store bought stuff on a regular basis, it all depended on what was on sale. The last cat I had before my crew now lived to the ripe age of 20. She was indoor-outdoor, ate friskies, 9 lives, cat chow, whatever. She was petite and never weighed outside her range.

It's only been since people began seeing their pets as part of their family that companies started making better quality food and it became more "in" (for lack of a better word) to buy the better quality.

As someone mentioned previously, buy what you can afford, watch kitty's weight and provide lots of water. Mine love the pet water fountains and will drink from them before anything else since its moving water.

Don't forget to visit the vet for regular check-ups and shots, too.

I buy locally made food for my critters. They even deliver it! It's not as expensive as a lot of brands out there but I like that the ingredients are all grown/produced locally so there's no moldy shipments or anything. But I can afford the mid-range food.

I'm not sure about cat food but I know that the Kirkland brand of dog food is quite nutritious and gets high ratings, so if you have a Costco there's always that route.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by violina View Post
Honestly (and I know this will sound terrible) but I kind of don't think about it. The kittens are being fed Halo Spot's Stew (the Grain Free) version which is dry food and then periodically throughout the week we give them a can of wet food (Lotus and Wellness, both grain free). We also try to give them bits of freeze dried chicken.

That being said, they go through a lot of food (I think they went through a little over 12 pounds of food this month) and while we could go the significantly cheaper route and get a 16 lbs bag of Friskies for cheaper than a 6 lbs bag of Halo, we go with the latter. Because here's the way I see it: if I can waste money on makeup, extra tea, a cup of coffee a day, then I can easily remove these items to get them what they really need. This doesn't work for everyone and I get it. But you do whatever you can for your pet -- if that means that the expensive bag is out of the question, then try an alternative.
I'm going to echo the post about EVO. It is great quality, 3 out of 5 of my cats love it (the turkey and chicken) and it comes in big cans that last a long time. Very economical.
Advertisement

Closed Thread